Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,645 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No not people I don't agree with. I don't agree with some Labour fans here.

The only people I label Tory fans are the ones constantly trying to defend the Tories or shut down or rabbit hole any bad stories for the Conservatives

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Well, it is now crystal-clear that the whole voter ID thing is an excercise in disenfranchisment.

Only today I got a leaflet formally telling me about the requirments for elections 7 weeks away and the gov.uk website says it could take a month for the certificate to come through once approved. Thinking of putting in a paper application just to see how much of a farce it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭political analyst

This question is about British government policy, not Brexit per se: With all those British jobs that are vacant because of Brexit meaning less people from the European mainland working in Britain, why have the Tories not reduced social-welfare payments so that more unemployed people will apply for jobs and thus fill the vacancies?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Some reasons.

The unemployed people may not be qualified, skilled or physically able for the job in question.

The jobs may not be in locations that the unemployed reside - no government as yet has come up with a plan to close unemployment blackspots with a mass-movement of people (though closing Liverpool came close to government policy in the 1980s).

A lot of the jobs are transient in nature (fruit pick in Kent in spring, then work a tourist bar in Cornwall in summer) which fit better with an immigrant or 'passing through' population, but not permanent residents.

There is a line where cuts in social-welfare eventually leads to riots and a UK Bastille Day. It's better to be 10% above that line rather than 5% under it.

• Advertisement

Thatcher was a very divisive leader but letting Liverpool become a 'ghost city' would have been a step too far, even for her!

Liverpool can't say much when they in league with the Conservative government went and created literal ghost towns in Tryweryn Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

Liverpool declined when its traditional manufacturing industries declined.

Ultimately manufacturing is one of the keys to wealth creation. See: Germany, China, New York State

Brexit nostalgia for the age of British manufacturing may be misplaced but is in one way understandable. Except just leaving the EU does not cause new factories to suddenly spring up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You might equally ask, why have employers not increased the wages so that more people will be motivated to apply for the jobs and thus fill the vacancies?

Armanijeanss has explained the issues well — neither jobs nor workers are "one size fits all".

A further factor is that most social welfare payments do not go to unemployed people. In fact just 1% of the UK's welfare spending goes on unemployment benefits. Only 3.7% of the UK workforce is unemployed, and anything less than 5% is generally considered to represent "full employment". (There's a natural level of unemployment in any economy which represents, e.g., people between jobs; people who have recently entered the workforce [e.g. completed education or training] but have not yet been hired; people whose skills have become redundant and who need to retrain, etc.)

Your question assumes that there's a significant pool of healthy, competent working-age adults out there who are not in work merely because they find the UK's (not conspicuously generous) unemployment benefits sufficient for their wants. In fact this is almost certainly not the case.

But if you qualify for Housing Benefit you can get it put straight into your bank account.

It's not like here where you have to shop around for a landlord who'll accept Rent Allowance or HAP.

Housing benefit + social welfare combined is fairly okay and then you have free NHS also.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but if you take a low-paying job you can still get housing benefit — it's means-tested. And of course you still get free NHS. So these things are not acting as a disincentive to take up work. A huge chunk of the UK's social welfare expenditure goes to people who are in work, but in low-skilled, low-paying jobs — far more than goes to the unemployed.

There's a right-wing Daily Mail-ish trope that social welfare subsidises and encourages idleness. On the figures, there's a far stronger case for saying that social welfare subsidises exploitative employers, low-grade employment, low wages and low productivity. If there's a scrounger class in the UK, it's not the unemployed.

I haven't seen a detailed plan but todays announcement from government suggests that there will be greater scope for getting back to work while also keeping some benefits.

Not everyone will get housing benefits though and free NHS means little to a young person trying to get out of their rut.

For many towns in the UK the situation is like a never ending recession Ireland where your only hope is to get to London. Not easy do that on £61/77 even if your mother pays the bills and the government the healthcare.

Having worked in both countries I know which one I would much rather lose my job in.

@Peregrinus I agree. I wasn't trying back up the original poster's point that it stops people from working.

Yes I agree that benefits serve as deniable subsidies for large employers.

I worked in the UK for a number of years. (I'm in Ireland now).

One thing that stuck out for me was that workers for the council where I was based had to avail of many of the same services (like council housing) that they were helping vulnerable people to access.

Same in Ireland. Council staff aren't paid well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What evidence have you to support this claim??

Do you know people in the real world?

And you ask me for evidence but not the previous post?

And you ask me for evidence but not the previous post?

Have you evidence of what you claimed (and asking where I live isn't answer)?

Not sure how you see it as bullying to ask you to defend your claims. I'm asking you to back up what you asserted, which I believe to be total nonsense, as is often the case with your posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not sure where you got that info - council operatives in Ireland would be paid well above the minimum wage. I think they're on €13/€14 per hour or something.

Asking twice to something that is extremely trivial with the obvious intent to provoke.

I won't be responding to your posts again.

This would make these people eligible for council housing.

13/14 euro an hour is very low pay.

Many civil servants are in the same position. Many earn less than 30 grand a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I don't think though that ability to pay for housing would be a good yardstick in Irish terms - the entire housing sector (rent and buying) is hugely overpriced.

Well in Ireland, your income decides if you're eligible for local authority housing. If it's a low income, you can join the waiting the list and wait 20 years to get a house.

So yet another completely unfounded piece of nonsense from you. You stated that "Council staff aren't paid well" but have absolutely nothing to back it up! I asked you for a source because I knew you were making stuff up - yet again!

In Scotland, people aged 16 and 17 can vote in Scottish Parliament elections.

If Labour does well enough in the next UK general election for Starmer to become prime minister, is it a foregone conclusion that people aged 16 and 17 in all of the UK will be given the right to vote in future general elections?

No, it isn't.

The lower voting age in Scotland was a Scottish Greens policy at the time of the Independence Referendum in 2014, picked up by the SNP. Later (in 2016) it was extended to all Scottish elections. That was done with cross-party support — both Scottish Labour and the Scottish Tories supported it, but neither Labour nor the Tories advocate it for the UK as a whole.

There is a UK-wide campaign to lower the voting age to 16. It's mainly driven by youth organisations — the British Youth Council, the National Union of Students, the National Youth Agency, Barnardos, etc. There is some political support from individual MPs but this seems to be cross-party. The only Westminster political parties that have joined the campaign are the Liberal Democrats, Plaid Cymru and the SNP.

So, bottom line. It's not Labour policy to lower the voting age to 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

British politics really is in the Toilet, when Starmer is the only hope to get the Tories out.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Moinbot and Jones, both of Guardian are very much to the left, corbynites, and relish any chance to have a swipe at Starmer.

Advertisement