Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Totally wrong terminology to use. “Badly handicapped” is a much better turn of phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Disaster to say the least. I know sometimes you get others that step up and take leadership roles and it galvanises the team…. it could go that way. But I’d worry that our full back line is already under pressure and will be targeted even more now. A couple of heavy defeats early and by the time those two are back; it could be too late. We’re not the best at keeping the heads up and bouncing back, are we?

But I’m being so pessimistic here haha. You don’t get through Munster without injuries anyway so it’s always about the panel. It’s just hard to be optimistic after the **** show I’ve seen in the last three games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Cahill never said that. He said that he believes that winning brings confidence and that a team should try and win the league and that the confidence of winning games sets a team up for championship. And then he said we'll see if he is right when the championship comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Have You the link to the interview? It was clear what he said and what he was alluding to. He said ‘I got wrong last year year’ (tongue in cheek response to question) and went on to say approach will be the same (as you said above) and ‘we’ll see how it goes with this group of players’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

Can i take away from the justified negativity for a second and highlight the great turnout, i think there was more waterford than tipp at the match, clearly there's a great appetite for success and the county is there behind them , i wish davy would stop playacting but full credit to everyone who turned out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

The Davy brand is playacting, it is what generates the column inches he feeds on, it is what gets him onto the Late Late and increases his profile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Absolutely. You're putting words in his mouth. He talked about whether he got it wrong and nothing about the waterford players on the that issue. He also said he had incredible respect for the Waterford players.

1hr 59 minutes in:

GAA Beo - Tiobraid Árann v Port Láirge | Player | Irish Television Channel, Súil Eile (tg4.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not the best news on the injury front with both Prunty and Aussie gone for a few weeks

They both could make it for the Limerick game in Munster but more than likely only as Impact subs

Looking like Cork and Limerick will advance from 1A meaning if we do manage to scrap a result next week (with players missing it would be a tall order) we'll be up against one of those in a league semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

Sheedy like a hyperactive child on the Sunday game after beating us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Disappointing outcome on Saturday night, we started very well and picked it up again at the start of the second half but the two minute spell of Barron getting sent of and Tipp scoring another goal in the next attack finished us.

Looking back on the goals conceded, Tipp's second and third were a direct result of unforced handling errors (Conor Ryan being dispossessed and Tipp got in, the third being I think Dunford dropping a direct puck out to him in space, Tipp pouncing and racing in on goal). First and fourth goals the defence was stretched with the initial ball in for the fourth a fairly simple diagonal ball into space.

Could have been a different game had we taken a few goal chances that fell our way - Bennett, Prendergast (twice if I recall), Monty and Patrick Fitzgerald all so close to rattling the net. Suppose it's at least encouraging that we created the chances, would be worse if we didn't get a sniff on goal.

Trying not to be too despondent, Tipp were the better team but 10pts was a bit flattering. They mainly pulled away once we went down to 14 but they will be hard beaten in Munster and it looks like another minefield this championship. Other positives were Dunford showing up well, Calum Lyons picked off some good scores (but a few poor wides too - needs to improve the shooting), Jack Prendergast looked lively and got on plenty of ball, the goal chances created, the return of Tadgh getting minutes into the legs. Shooting in general needs to be tidied up as Barron and Monty were guilty of very poor misses from scorable positions.

Not the news we wanted to hear about Aussie and Prunty being out, if it's a worst case of six weeks that would have still have them back for Limerick on the 23rd April but they'd surely be a bit behind in fitness having missed a few crucial weeks of workload. (I heard the squad are heading to Portugal on a warm weather training camp in a few weeks?).

We go again next weekend, would be nice to get a win over KK on their on patch - something we don't achieve often and the winner reaches a league semi final but main thing again would be looking for a decent performance and no more injuries (or red cards). We'll already be down the two lads mentioned above, Barron suspended, Kiely and Darragh Lyons injured and possibly McNulty also out injured. Few places up for grabs there for the younger lads to slot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

2023 Waterford minor panel - anyone have much insight what this crop is like or any names worth keeping an eye on?

Joxer O'Connor is over them so you'd hopefully expect they will be well drilled. They're out against Limerick in Dungarvan next Tuesday (21st).

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I was surprised by the aggression tipp brought to the game Saturday, for a league game in March, lots of off the ball stuff and targetting certain players going on. To me they showed their hand a bit too much and one thing for certain is that there will be quite an edge to the championship game between the counties. Waterford would not be happy with some of the stuff that went on Saturday evening and will surely match Tipp's aggression levels come championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I'm just hoping the lads are allowed to play hurling. Some (not all) of our minor teams have been overburdened by tactics and structure in recent years. I understand it at senior level but I'd like the minors to be able to show more instinct and adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

The “showing your hand” bit is overstated I reckon. If the teams meet in a “winner takes all” scenario then it’ll be hell for leather & Saturday’s match will have little relevance. But it could equally be a dead rubber with one (or both) being out of contention at that stage.

Does this rule out Patrick and Mark Fitzgerald for the senior panel ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Were you at the Munster League Game in Mallow in January? I was surprised by the aggression Waterford brought that night and especially Stephen Bennett who got it back in spades on Saturday night. You could argue that Waterford showed their hand to Tipp last year in the league game in Walsh Park but it mattered not a joy in the championship because Waterford were the better team. Point is this showing your hand is a cliche nothing more. You try to win every game you can and anyone surprised that a Liam Cahill coached Tipp team is bringing aggression to their game clearly hasn’t a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

Early days yet but hard to disagree with Wooly tbh on the evidence so far

I was wondering what happened to him. I used to like the GAA hour podcasts. I'm not paying a fiver a month for it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

He went out on his own from Joe.ie. Subscribed during championship last year and to be fair the quality of the podcasts was really good. 4 or 5 gaa podcasts a week but cut back on subscriptions last year with the rising costs of everything and listening to the Newstalk hurling pod with Skehill and Paul Murphy and the Examiner one with Dalo instead as they are free and still good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

The reaction here to Waterford’s defeat on Saturday night has been a bit OTT. The fact is that, despite the absence of a discernible game plan and inane tactics, after 54 minutes Waterford were a point ahead, despite having hit 12 (mostly terrible) wides at that stage. If we had converted even half of those wides, Waterford would have been comfortably ahead – especially if even one of the goal chances had gone in.

The whole game then changed when, in a three-minute spell, Tipperary scored two goals from chances yielded up by defensive errors, and Jamie Barron got sent off. In fact, by my reckoning, Tipperary scored 2-7 in total from basic Waterford errors. Waterford were rather unlucky not to get one or two goals themselves from a number of opportunities that presented themselves. While one doesn’t wish to discourage players from chasing goals, in total Waterford passed up six tap-over points in fruitless attempts to raise a green flag.

I thought this was one of James Owens’s worst ever refereeing performances (although is officials must take some of the blame for either not seeing, or not reporting, some of the stuff that Tipperary were up to). While the TV recording showed up a lot of incidents that I did not see from the stands, it also missed several that I did see myself. The booking of Colin Dunford in the 49th minute made no sense at all. As far as I could see, he was simply backing up to make space for Cárthach Daly who had possession when he made contact with his rear end with Noel McGrath, who was getting up off the ground. This booking really got up Jamie Barron’s nose, and probably contributed to his red card a few minutes later.

Worse was to come in the 60th minute when Seamus Kennedy clotheslined a Waterford player with an arm around the neck. Owens immediately pulled out his little black book with the presumed intention of issuing the merited yellow card, but when he saw that Kennedy already had a yellow card, he bafflingly decided to take no action.

As regards tactics, over the course of the game Billy Nolan hit 21 long contested puckouts, of which Waterford won just six. In the first half he hit eleven long puckouts in a row, of which Waterford won just three. Then before half-time he hit three short puckouts, which yielded two points. In the third quarter he stuck to the short puckouts, which continued to work well as Waterford got back into the lead. After the Jame Barron sending off, Nolan reverted to long puckouts, hitting six in a row of which Tipperary won five.

The people doing the commentary on TG4 couldn’t believe that Waterford were persisting in hitting long puckouts down on top of a Tipperary half-back line which was very strong in the air. Maybe we should ask them to take over the coaching from Davy Fitzgerald who has been persisting with these long puckouts from the start of the year, despite the glaringly obvious evidence that they don’t work for Waterford.

Meanwhile, Waterford have the best corner forward in the game and there is no ball going into him. On three occasions in the first half, Waterford players hit terrible wides from the middle of the field. On the first two occasions, Dessie was one-on-one with his marker on the edge of the square with nobody else within fifty metres. On the third occasion Patrick Curran was in a similar situation. Surely a nice ball hopping on the 20-metre line would have offered a much better chance of yielding a score than hitting Hail Mary shots from 80 metres. Where is the coaching here?

What kills me altogether is that when Eoin Kelly was in his pomp at right corner forward for Tipperary, a continuous stream of diagonal ball was sent into his corner from the Tipperary left half back and left midfield positions. While Tipperary hit eight diagonal balls of this kind last Saturday night, the only diagonal ball sent into the Waterford full forward line was from an early Austin Gleeson free. You would have to ask what Kelly is doing on the coaching ticket if he cannot draw on his own experience to see that Dessie Hutchinson gets a decent supply of ball. Last Saturday Dessie had to come way out the field looking for possession, a sight which I am sure was regarded with delight by the Tipperary full backs.

Ultimately, one is left hoping that the inherent skill in the Waterford panel will somehow trump out over the management and coaching inadequacies of the group that is currently in charge. This, in turn, will depend on us keeping 15 players on the field during games, which doesn’t look too likely right now.

There were some positives from the game. Despite all the above, Waterford did play a lot of good hurling during the game. We had another all-action performance from Calum Lyons (19 possessions and four points) while Neil Montgomery also put in a good shift. Colin Dunford had possibly his best ever performance in a Waterford jersey and Jack Prendergast was terrific. Patrick Fitzgerald appears to have put on a stone of muscle in his legs and hips since I last saw him, and you could see how he is being compared with Paul Flynn with his dipping shot which scraped the crossbar in the closing stages.

One final point. During the course of the game, Tipperary players fielded eight balls under pressure in the air compared with just one for Waterford. Inability to win ball in the air has always been a feature of Tipperary hurling and a Waterford weakness. This in my view is a matter of coaching rather than DNA. Whoever is in charge of underage coaching in Waterford (if there is somebody with this responsibility) might like to give development of this skill some priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Reflecting on Saturday night I am more confused than ever about where we stand and more importantly where we are going. I can only hope that Davy has something up his sleeve for the championship, because at the moment we are going to be relying on a high percentage of Hail Mary's going over the bar, and while we are flooding the midfield, there is still a lot of ball coming through the lines at us - we seem to be lacking a defensive structure that denies opposition space. On the counter side we are not using the quality of forwards at our disposal, by constantly shooting for from distance.

The most worrying aspect for me is our continued obsession with carrying the ball into contact much more than necessary, and with not idea what we ar going to do with it - this is resulting in a very large number of turnovers that are really hurting us. It is all well and good bringing the ball into contact to draw the man and look for an of load or beat your man and open up spec, but the amount of times we carry it into blanket defences where the is no prospect of breaking though or off-loading the ball is simply crazy. When you run down blind alleys you run the risk of being mugged.

I have to agree that some of Owne's decisions on the night were baffling, but then again he is noted for his inconsistency - but i also agree that Davy's constant antics do not endear him or his teams to referees.

It was good to see deBurca get some game time into this legs, but people should not be in such a hurry to judge him until he has a rune of games under his belt. I think is still a massive player for us.

In terms of our ability to win puck-outs, I would not judge too much into that yet, the options of the being able to place the likes of Aussie (midfield i personally feel does not suit him at inter county , the game tends to by pass him) Kiely and Fagan in that area alongside Montgomery or Curran can give us plenty of good ball-winners, we just need to work harder on isolating them and getting good quality deliveries. It is all well going short, but when teams push up on you this can be high risk and it is vital to have an alternating outlet to punish teams who do push up .

Will watch Sunday's game with real interest.

For those of you with season tickets, is the Kilkenny match showing on your account? I don't have it showing though I'm sure it had been there previously

Yeah, I have mine. I downloaded them all and put them in my phones wallet and it's still there. There was confusion over them before the league started as they issued all the tickets with Walsh Park down for the home games. Then issued new ones when the games were moved.

I don't think the reactions are over the top. In the league, we're not so worried about the results. It's more about the performance and signs of a team coming together and building momentum. You mention that there was an absence of a discernible game plan and inane tactics. This is exactly what concerns me. We won/drew our opening league games and I was just as concerned. As blueflame mentioned, we seem to be totally relying on the long range efforts going over. These are low percentage options that will make you look great one day and shockingly bad the next. When they don't go over, it saps all the energy from the team and the crowd. It's what we did under Derek McGrath. Our obsession with attempting to run through brick walls is infuriating but it's not a new thing (also going back to McGrath but way worse now). Our defenders seem to have free reign to solo up the field and then we're conceding goals willy nilly. It's an absolute mess.

Saying all that, I back Davy and believe he will get it right come championship. He's never failed to make a team competitive.

Post edited by Jjjjjjjjbarry on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

The peroid of the game where we got on top was when Tadgh reverted back to a sweeper until that crazy 2 minute spell where we completely self imploded. We gave away a stupid goal (not blaming the young lad Ryan who played well overall to be fair to him) then Jamie’s got sent off in the aftermath and Tipp went down and scored another one

My point being is that’s the only ace Davy seems to have up his sleeve but the team weren’t disciplined enough to stick to the plan, it was similar story with Wexford in 2019 semi final. I did see some patterns of play that excited me when we ran at the Tipp defence we looked dangerous and picked out some nice scores but I couldn’t help feel if that was more the remainder of Liam Cahills imprint rather than a Davy Fitz style of play

the positives you’d have to take we still notched up 25 points and created 4/5 goal chances albeit didn’t take them so we’re not a million miles off it, but it’s hard to make us out.

Apologies if already posted but I only got round to listening to Davy's post match interview. He said both Bennett and Dunford were short of fitness going into the game last weekend and it hadn't been intended to give either more than 55 minutes. Hopefully Bennett in particular gets the full 70 this weekend as without him firing in the championship we won't get out of Munster.

Are we down Mark and Patrick Fitzgerald for the seniors now with them been in the under 20 panel ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

My understanding is that they can still play both (but not within 7 days of each other. )

Advertisement