Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Road Racing 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well I would "blame" CI for not having an online portal to be honest. I subscribe to (probably too many) sites, but stickybottle one I just struggle to justify for me as I'm not open racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Raced the A2's yesterday. Toughest race of the year so far for me. From the gun it was full gas, didn't help that I couldn't clip in and had a big chase just to get back to the group. Breakaway formed early on, didn't see it cos I was still chasing on the back but was a decent size and stayed away the full race. Group was working okay but couldn't pull them back. Few smaller groups got away in last lap but just rolled in with the main group. Tough course and wind played a big part. I don't want to be giving out about race organisers, it's a tough gig. But their was very little info about the course beforehand, other than it was same as previous years, and we only found out how many laps we were doing on the start line, no info given beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Any A3's going to Knockaderry next sunday and entering the main race?

A1/2/3/j 124km handicapped race which could be over for a lot of A3's after 50km.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Not for me even though it's close to home as such. I'm not the biggest fan of handicap races generally anyway.

Boyne GP is on the same day so more hell in Leinster for me after Carrick on Paddys day.

Couple of things that have crossed my mind this year racing.

1 - not one steward or race official giving a time gap to the break.

2 - at what stage do we need first 3 unplaced non jnrs or similar for races?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

For Sticky bottle, You just need a free account to view results and most articles 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Just a few thoughts on a few comments here about race organisers.

I hope the people making them are active race organisers in their own clubs. Because putting down events being planned and delivered by volunteers without being involved yourself is pretty slick and even then comments here ain't going to improve anything. I'm sure organising clubs would appreciate honest, constructive feedback.

Putting on any cycling event in Ireland is a huge investment of time and effort. If people are not happy with the standard of events then go to the CI AGM and lodge motions to improve the situation. Quit b'itching on social media, put some work in locally, deliver better events and make real changes.

Just my 2c

Post edited by thebouldwhacker on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Someone at the finishing line was giving gaps yesterday, at least in the Women's Race.

As a Marshal it's often difficult to keep track of time gaps and also keep an eye on what you are supposed to be doing which is usually manage a junction or corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭wav1

A very valid post and common sense prevailing

Absolute headache promoting cycle events now compared to even 5 years ago particularly competitive road events.Help diminishing year after year with very few replacements etc.at a guess I'd say amount of road races down 30% in past 6 or 7 years..lots of reasons but a big one is that clubs mainly take a financial hit now running these things and for what? Sometimes riders really don't help themselves at all. We have 3 x races next Sunday and as of this evening circa 50 entered. Fully expect much bigger by Friday but how is anyone supposed to plan 6 days out from an event.As I said it's a thankless business and getting tougher

• Advertisement

@wav1 - as an organiser have things improved with the introduction of pre registration? Back in the day of entry on the day the fears of low numbers must have been greater?

A very good point indeed but with entry open.over 2 weeks now and only 50 entered it gets very worrying.fully expect another 100.in coming days but why leave it late.

Ras mumhan entrys opened and closed within days a few weeks ago and riders did it or be left outside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Edit

Post edited by beggars_bush on

Lads racing with tri type bars in the A3 last weekend looking at some of Sean Rowe's pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

As someone who has done race organisation, judging, promotion etc, I feel this comment is wide of the mark. There is a huge variance in detail available for riders of information. And there is a huge variance in quality of organization as well. In this day and age, it's not very onerous on a club to have a website with race times, eircode for sign on, a strava map, the bits and pieces that take away the headaches. A lot of clubs when this is said to them default to "well why don't you try run a race"

I know previously I enabled an auto reply bot on our Facebook Messenger page with Times, Laps, Eircode and a link to the web page. It covered off 80% of the questions. I also know however cyclists are the laziest b*llocks's in sport, I've had riders ask for late entry, numbers, helmets, shoes, all sorts of **** over the years. So there is a line.

100% agree with you, I provide as much info as possible to riders right there on eventmaster before they sign up, also on social media, all the info they would need to get to event hq and ride the course on any day leading up to the race, there is No excuse for not providing it but have a browse through the CI calender and see how sparse the info is for some races.

On race day I have the route map printed out and on the wall at sign on for the lazy feckers as well.

Providing this info should be compulsory. This is where CI fails as well in it's duty to provide and promote proper race details.

Even simple templates of what should be required would go a long way. And saying to a new comer "Shure it's the same course as last year" isn't the most welcoming of grunts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Anyone doing Ras Mhaigh Eo this weekend?

cant believe you're abandoning home territory 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Would much prefer do Boyne GP only i couldnt get permission for mothers day! Herself is letting me do Mayo as we'll go that direction for the weekend. Hope it goes well for ya

• Advertisement

The race in Knockaderry this weekend - is it A4/M50/M50 as per event master?

Quick edit , it seems not unfortunately.

A1/2/3 in main race 124km or if your A3 but also M40/M50/M60 you can join the A4 race if you'd like.

That's the info we got from organiser.

I’ll risk it then as an M40, same event last year some luder crossed the bunch & wiped out about 15 of us 2k out.

A4 lads please behave 🤞

A3 M50 but won't have the legs for 124k this early so will jump in to the A4 race as well I'd say, will be nice and wet hopefully everyone behaves too early to be hearing the sound of carbon cracking.

I think everyone should stay away from there 😂

County Teams Entry opens for the Rás .. https://eventmaster.ie/event/bLnyh9AHjr

A3 in Carrick today - absolutely pure grim & manky day. Horrible legs & bailed after two laps when off the back.

Hugely disappointing but we move onto the next one.

All credit to the chap who ran over the line for a pts placing after coming down on the last bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Question from someone who knows nothing about racing. Does he have to bring the bike with him for it to count?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

One of the young lads who won A4 in navan two weeks ago won the A3 yesterday.

Advertisement