Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

For me I won't be touching any Ireland tops because their quality is utterly dreadful.

The main issue is their kit is dreadful quality.

Ouch. I was hoping that at least it would not be too long term a deal. O well looks like it will be a very long time before I am buying another Ireland top.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I stocked up on a few once the sponsor disappeared so I am sorted for a couple of years. Actually had duplicates of a green one before I gave it to some Ukranian lad in Poland at 3am after the game 🤣.

If the new one is nice I might get it. If it is anything like the mock ups i have seen I won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Parrott dropped for Cannon again.

A clear preference is becoming at club end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Gusser09

At least Cannon is eligible for us i suppose. No reason why he cant continue his good form and push for a call up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Cannon scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

And assist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

He is due to link up with the U21 squad for match in Cork. Doubt we will see him in the senior squad for the qualifiers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Goal for Manning as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Hard to include Parrott over Cannon in the squad based on form of late. Parrott's career is on a downward trajectory. I know he's had his injuries this season but you'd imagine he'll be playing at the low end of the Championship or L1 come next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Is there a chance of Cannon catching the FA's attention,born I England I'm pretty sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭deisedude

2 goals for Andy Lyons tonight for Blackpool. Has made the step up from League of Ireland very well so far

Always a chance but doubtful with Cannon. He's done well for PNE and looked decent for Everton too. I'd call him up. He's in better form than Idah or Parrott, and long term a better option than Keane or Hogan.

Wouldnt think so. Regardless of that though he is in much better form than idah or parrott so why not look at him again Latvia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Call him up I say. What's the worse that can happen, he says no or doesn't perform. At this stage he can't do no worse than Keane or Hogan, and he's in better form than Idah or Parrott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,989 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone else a little anxious about what the squad will be ?

We need some 'youth/in form players' in this squad and not Kennys favourites like Hourihane etc we're not beating France anyway but getting a look into the future would give some sort of hope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Should Andy Lyons be getting a call up? Has adapted well to Championship despite playing in a struggling side.

Can't see it with Coleman and Doherty there. Probably why we should be naming a bigger squad since it's two home games. Get new faces in and training with the squad.

• Advertisement

And not a hope he will make the squad. Because dont we realise blessed with LWBs playing at a higher level and performing.

Idah and parrotts form and lack of development is a massive cause for concern at this stage. Yes ok they have both had injuries this year but neither have reached any sort of level where it might improve is significantly. It looks as if our immediate short term future should be built around Ferguson, Obafemi and ogbene. It might not do Parrott and harm to drop back into the 21s for a spell either getting full games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Idah was brutal at weekend.

I really thought he was going go step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Does anyone know about tickets for the Latvia match?

I can get 2 tickets (from a friend thats not going) but i was wondering if anyone knows where you could get 2 more for just the Latvia match?

As far as i can see, need to buy the 2 match set on Ticketmaster ..

I dont want to have to choose 1 child to be left out !!! 😣 😄

Found on t0utl€$$ ....

Post edited by greenspurs on

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Strong U19s squad and good to see Cliftonville's Sean Moore named in the squad and James McManus who was injured I think last time but has started the season good for Bohs.

I'd cut him some slack really. Has missed a ton of football because of injuries and even during this run of games he's starting in he's played out wide in some.

As seen with Smallbone this season he's needed a good run of regular game time this season to hit the form that he's been showing lately. I know Norwich gave him a new long term contract and Wagner has spoken highly of him but he really needs to be getting game time like Smallbone has been getting this season to hopefully push on. Can't be sitting on the bench getting 20 mins here and there next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Under 21s don’t play till September so kind of a moot point at the moment

I think the lad probably needs to get out of Norwich to a club with a guarantee of being a starter but where does he go? Will another Championship club pay decent money for him? Unless Norwich are promoted I can't see him being loaned out to a rival championship club. League 1 would be an absolute disaster but might just be his level. I'd imagine that as long as Ferguson stays fit for us Idah won't see a lot of game time. A bit much like his career with Norwich to date.

Really hard to gauge what his level might be but so far it doesn't scream championship or PL based on his stats.

Joe Hodge with the U21s along with Cannon and Festy. Interesting that Bosun Lawal is in with the midfielders too.

Nevermind, went off soccerway and they had no mention of this friendly

Hodge should possibly be with the seniors. Other than him the midfield selection is bleak enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

A bit of everything for Manning throughout the night. Involved in the "bobbling" that led to the opening Millwall goal, scored, could have scored two more and then got booked in the 95th minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I want Manning to be omitted from the squad just to see the reaction in here! By the time he makes a squad I'll be expecting him to be playing like a peak Roberto Carlos

I would have had him in with the seniors, have said we should name an extend squad given we've two home games. Once the U19s is finished this month we'll likely see a couple of young lads move up.

Ed McJannet was captain I believe last season for the 19s when it was the 03s and should be a cert to move up. Might see Lawal move back to CB when McJannet and McManus whose starting for Bohs (turns 18 tomorrow) possibly move up. Though McManus will have another year at U19s so could float between both squads.

Ferizaj has looked good for Rovers last season and just turned 18 but hasn't featured this season unfortunately. Think he's out of contract this season so will likely be on the move this summer.

Darragh Burns, Mipo Odubeko, Calum Kavanagh and Dara Costelloe look to be the main omissions in attack. Though wouldn't be too worried except for Kavanagh. Would rather see Armstrong, Okoflex, and Moran getting more game time at this level than the others that didn't make it.

Hodge could well move up by September and Lawal drops back to CB so would like to see us give more game time to the high potential 04s and 05s. If we're even in contention for a play off this qualification we'll be doing great and might be a good time to fast track certain players.

I remember when we were worried Odubeko was thinking about jumping ship. LOL.

Haha I forgot. We aren't allowed to be annoyed when a player doesn't make successive squads when they are clearly a really good option in a position where we need options.

If we question it in the slightest we are accused of trying to build a player up. For Manning it's Roberto Carlos, for holohan it was messi and for Reid it was something similar. Even though the previous 2 players I mentioned were cleary good enough to improve our team.

Get real. It's a fair enough debate and won that needs to be had as to why Manning isn't making squads. He is good enough and in form and would improve the selection.

Think he'll have a somewhat similar career to McGoldrick though less time in League One than him and will be a late bloomer for us. Don't think a League One loan would be a disaster as he only turned 22 and playing week in week out with a team that should be pushing to win the league would be better than sitting on the bench.

Look at Finn Azaz whose older and started with a League Two loan and now possibly gonna win League One which could lead to a decent Championship loan and might spend the pre season with Villa.

Main thing for Idah is regular game time as a starter next season like Smallbone has done this season. Stoke wasn't the most attractive move but the form he's hitting now from being a starter all season is what Idah needs. Whether it's at Norwich, another Championship team, or even a club that's favourite to win League One.

Does anyone know where to get tickets for the U19 games this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Idah gets an assist for Norwich but then goes off injured before half time.

Knowing his luck he won't be seen again this season. Ben Gibson went off injured which saw Omobamidele come on. Hopefully now he gets back into the starting XI and can stay there.

• Advertisement

Burnley all but certain to be playing Premier League football next year with Cullen at the heart of it all. Amazing to think it wasn't that long ago that we were worried Burnley in serious trouble after going down and losing half their squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Obafemi is on loan there with no obligation to buy is my understanding, am I right? If so you'd wonder would they keep him on for the Prem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Was widely reported that there IS an obligation to buy (or in a few reports, an obligation triggered by easily achievable targets), so I'd say he'll be staying there. Both the player and Swansea would've been pushing for that anyway, and given that it took 3 bids for Swansea to accept, I doubt they'd have agreed to something that could screw them over.

Guessing it's one of those loan-to-buys that Juve always do, where it basically just puts off the accounting aspect of the purchase until a financial period when the books look better - which they certainly will after promotion.

No Manning is a strange decision given the form he is in.

McGrath a strange inclusion when there's others at a higher level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,989 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

At least Evan Ferguson is in the squad which will stop talk of his switch too England

Very average squad that on paper have no chance of beaten France

Why are players like Idah, Will Keane and McGrath always getting picked by Kenny while others in much better form are been left out ?

Be interesting to see the backup players as its almost a given there could be some injuries

Connor Ronan paying the price for his move to the MLS.

conor hourihane omitted?

Mcgrath fortunate to be included

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Poor squad selection by Kenny, I would have taken Ebsole over Doherty as he is finally getting game time and the latter hasn't kicked a ball in about 3 months. Manning over McLean who to be honest was a great servant but he's passed it now. In midfield that Szmodics guy should be there over Mcgrath and then up front I'd have Cannon over Parrot. To be fair Hodge should have been included as well.

I’m sorry but thinking doherty should be excluded for the lad at udinese is crazy talk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Doherty hasn't kicked a ball at all for atleti which is nearly 3 months. At least Ebsole has made a few appearances recently and played well by all accounts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement