Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I was part of a previous Malin tender offer (2021), I think they bought about three quarters of the shares I wanted to sell.

Basically if the offer is over subscribed, then once the €140 million is spent... they won't buy any more shares, soo you could end up stuck with some of the shares... Market Share price will fall after the tender closing date too, of course.... Soo hence the price difference between the offer price and the current market share price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I bought shares in Kimball International KBAL way back in Jan 2021. The share price had tanked all along. Price jumped 85% today. They are to be acquired by HNi Corp.

"Under the terms of the agreement, Kimball International shareholders will receive $9.00 in cash and 0.1301 shares of HNI common stock for each share of Kimball International common stock they own"

HNI Corporation to Acquire Kimball International (yahoo.com)

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

What do you guys think about the US banking crisis last week? I sold everything bar PERI early on Friday, stuff I sold went lower but I still lost a fair bit last week. Can't help but feel there are some tasty opportunities there after the banking sell off, high risk high reward as they say.

My plan is to sit things out until the dust settles, can we buy US bonds on Degiro or something thats safe as houses and gives some small returns while the cash is parked for a bit?

Whats your plan?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah I'm following it keenly, as I've invested in a. lot of companies that are Silicon Valley based. Sounds like the liquidators are indicating about 60%-80% of cash will be recovered to the policyholders. There's lists online of what companies will lose money, Roku looks the biggest so far. In theory if their book value of say 50bn included 1bn cash, and they lose 60% of that cash, it should trim down their value (and stock price accordingly, would only be 2/3% which they probably lost Friday anyway.

Bigger problem will be if any smaller startups lose significant money, or if the activities the the bank was engaged in (not hedging against interest rates), is more widespread.

I'm watching with interest, but not convinced it'll be too impactful yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

They went tits up because there was a run on them. So I'd say a lot of money will have evaporated.

I haven't added any money to stocks in about 6 months and am just going to wait it out. Inflation is still as much of a problem as it was so I can't see inflation coming down to 2% without economic pain.

We'll soon be two years into higher than desired inflation which means there's every chance it's embedded. Food prices just keep going up non stop.

• Advertisement

What a day, bought a few hundred each of PACW and WAL in between halts, suffice it to say its been a good day so far!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭crushproof

Should have known to stock up on banking shares yesterday. It was obvious that SVB was an outlier and the rest were safe.

Credit Suisse down the tubes, contagion spreading, Out of bank stocks for now, back to mostly cash.

That's shocking - going to be a massive rock about to be dropped into the banking pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Futures not looking too healthy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Sitting at 70% is looking like a nice decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭bish76

Added some Credit Suisse yesterday @2.50. It's pure gamble at this stage.

I dont know about that tbh, its the Swiss that will have to step in now and they'll be wanting equity for their "investment".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was going to ask if anyone thought Credit Suisse was worth a punt. Already answered above. I find it very hard to put a value on a bank.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

While I agree that it may not the brightest idea, part of thinks that a bank as morally corrupt, lacking in any virtues whatsoever, willing to deal with the biggest **** on the planet without shame, just a bunch of complete and utter ****, is bound to pull through.

Well I should have said I dont have a clue either but the Swiss government is stepping in now anyway. Cant believe we're having this conversation again already tbh.

Great time for me to be buying a house 😑

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

What's the impact of the SNB stepping in?

I bought some CS yesterday at 2.20. Then averaged in a smaller amount at 1.81.

They are going to put in $54b. Surely going to take an equity stake or nationalised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Anyone that bought Credit Suisse yesterday, I applaud your giant liathróidí. Up 30% in Zurich already today after the Swiss Central Bank offered a bail out.

• Advertisement

What do we think about First Republic? Looks a good one for the risk takers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

America's largest banks have moved to shore up First Republic, easing fears that the regional lender could be the next domino to fall after collapses including Silicon Valley Bank.

What would likely happen with Credit Suisse shares if a UBS takeover is announced over the weekend?

They'll announce an acquisition price (eg "UBS will buy CS at $2 per share"), the share price will then basically freeze at about 5% below that price until the deal is complete. Could be 6-12 months.

Once deal is complete your CS shares will be replaced with the equivalent value of UBS shares. UBS is currently about $20, CS $2, so you'll get one UBS share for every 10 CS share

Sounds right. Although the key factor is what will be the discount on the CS share price. I doubt it will be at the even currently low market price.

Thanks. So an effective 'freezing' of the current value of CS shares to be expended against the future value of UBS at the deal close?

If UBS is 20 today but 40 at close I get half as many units?

It's whatever the prices is at the time they announce the bid basically. They'll announce something like "CS shareholders get 1 UBS share for every 10 CS shares" and from that point onwards, the CS price will basically just move with the UBS price. If UBS goes up 3% some day, CS price will go up 3% that day.

Not looking good on the CS front but I knew it was risky going in.

'Citing people familiar with the matter, it said an offer was made Sunday morning at 0.25 Swiss francs ($0.27) per Credit Suisse share, well below Friday's closing price of 1.86 Swiss francs and all but wiping out the bank's existing shareholders'

They are paying $2b for it. Thought there would be a discount alright. Looks to be severe enough.

• Advertisement

Looks like 82c per share for CS. Hope those that bought the dip got out quick.

Advertisement