Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oof, fairly disastrous options in midfield so! Fab without (and even with, most of the time) Bajcetic covering him is a huge liability. I’d guess we’ll see Milner start beside him, and then probably Elliott, assuming Thiago isn’t fully fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Wasn't included in the Champs league squad after Xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well we've had a few games where we weren't missing pucks of players so it's nice to get the sh*t show back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

No Thiago I'd say u are right on Milner, what's left then Naby, Ox, Jones

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Naby hatrick inbound folks!

If anyone needs a redemption arc, it's him... has had some absolutely atrocious performances against Real Madrid in particular. I've a feeling he'll be behind the other options in the pecking order to start at least..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Typical that the one match Arthur might be able to play in and be of use, he's ineligible, he'll probably get an injury during the international break now and miss the rest of the season. Options for midfield are pretty poor tomorrow, the slight chance of a comeback looks even less likely now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭antimatterx

He'd finally make up some of his transfer fee so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Apparently Bajcetic out for a considerable amount of time - looks serious.

What is Klopp doing to these players during training. He's running them into the ground. We keep picking up injury after injury in training.

City have shown they can play high tempo football yet not get run into the ground during training.

City are a bit of a different case to anyone else in just how much they can rotate when they want to though. Ridiculous depth.

Does seem like something mad is going on at Liverpool with these repeated explosions of injuries alright. Not freshening up the hardest running positions after years of high intensity probably the chief fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

SSN reporting that Ben Doak collapsed on the pitch in a game this evening

Christ, that's awful! Sounds like it was after a clash of heads, which is terrible, but perhaps better than my first thought of a heart problem like we've seen too many times over the years.

He clashed heads and went down afterwards. He walked off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Fvcking scandalous.

I flagged this weeks ago, the dearth of midfielders was in danger of running Baijatic into the ground and could have long term consequences. Pure negligence from our S and C and medical staff, so mick sudden pressure and strain on an 18 year old. We're lucky if we don't do the same to Elliott.... In some ways he might have been lucky he broke his leg last year.

Idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm confused as Bajcetic was on the plane to Madrid and looked in great spirits. Why is he travelling? For the experience? Cos it's can't be for rehab.

He's been involved in 26 games with an average of 56 minutes all season (49 minutes average for the first team). He's played more than 70 minutes 9 times for the first team.

Those 26 games include 7 games (517 minutes) for the underage team.

I don't think that's close to excessive.

But, what are those averages more recently, say after Xmas or since the world cup. A lot higher I'd imagine. Couple that with he's a growing lad expected to carry a big load in the centre of a midfield 3 in what's supposed to be a high energy, pressing set up, then it's a big ask, and to me it's no surprise he's broken down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He only played once before Stephens Day for 21 minutes so that doesn't really effect the averages.

Edit: he actually played 90 minutes in September against Derby and 20 minutes over two CL games against Ajax.

So that gives him an average play time of 56 minutes since Stephens Day. Eight games where he's played more than 70 minutes.

So, is anyone hopeful of winning the game tonight?

I think we have a chance of winning the game. Progressing in the tie might be a step too far though.

Generally, Liverpool have been better in the big games this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

I would love to see us win, to take the monkey off the back with Madrid.

Hendo being out is a pain

I think him missing is more a miss in terms of leadership, than anything physical. And I think that is what we are lacking tonight, and probably did at the weekend too. It's probably why Milner will start IMO.

There were a couple of times on Saturday when senior members of the defence, like VVD for example, were bad and making mistakes etc. There was nobody giving them a bollocking, to keep the standards higher. VVD makes a mistake and he looks over towards Trent as in to blame him. But VVD was at fault but Trent can't give the bollocking to VVD as VVD is more senior and also Trent is having a poor season in some areas. Trent would have been justified to give out, but can't. That's where Hendo is needed. Keeps everyone on their toes. With all his qualities, Allison is more of a friendly supportive type captain rather an giving out one.

Chelsea went 3-0 up away at Real Madrid last season, so it can be done. It's keeping the heads while at that stage is the important thing, if you are to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's a big ask without Henderson there to marshal the team. If Bajcetic is indeed out of the line-up then I think the midfield will run out of steam after about 20 minutes. Milner doesn't have the legs, Fabinho and Keita both have questionable attitudes and Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones and Elliott lack the skill sets or physical attributes to fill the gap if Klopp sticks with the 4-3-3 setup. Given the available personnel, I would like to see a 4-2-4 line-up and bypass the midfield.

Would you include Elliott as 1 of the 4? Like in the Man Utd game. It gives the ability to drop back into a 4-3-3 at times too.

I think Madrid might end up playing 4 midfielders themselves so playing only 2 dedicated midfielders might be too risky.

Klopp generally doesn't just drop players into the starting line up after weeks/months of not being involved. They generally make appearances on / from the bench first. For this reason, I think we can rule out Keita, Ox & probably Jones. This leaves Fabinho, Milner & Elliott as potential options to start. I'd be reluctant to only start 2 of those myself. Start 2, get to HT still in the game and then switch to 4-2-4 and try and hit them then? Kroos, Modric etc might have tired by then and Madrid will have eyes on Barca at the weekend potentially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,492 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'd pack the midfield, play Nunez front and center

_________Alisson_____________

Trent__Konate___VVD____Robertson

____Fabinho___Keita________

Salah___Firmino______Gakpo

________Nunez_______________

• Advertisement

Forget Nabby, I think he'll be lucky to play again after the last outing.

You'll have

Alisson

TAA, Konate, VVD, Robertson

Fabhino, Milner

Salah, Gakpo, Nunez

Jota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We had no more than a puncher's chance before the injuries, and that's being generous.

Despite the fact that I don't think this is the same Madrid as last season, and they're far more gettable for the better teams in the competition, barring an absolute miracle, we were never getting through. with a semblance of a midfield with Hendo, there is a distant world where we make a fast start and catch them with a couple of quick goals to make it interesting.

But I just can't see it with what we'll be putting out tonight. I'll watch until we're completely dead and buried, but I suspect I might be switching off come the hour mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

There are grounds for optimism Liverpool could win the tie, without doubt. Real conceded a lot of chances in the first leg and the centre backs Militao and Alaba, was it, looked slow and not particularly mobile. Alaba is out injured tonight. So, if VanDijk and co.perform and keep them scoreless, who knows? Real just won't sit back and defend in any event.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Really not expecting much tonight, can see it being a game Real will control in midfield and it could well finish a draw.

No injuries is the thing I'm really hopeful for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not even with the 3-0 loss in Barca did I feel the tie was as dead as it is tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'd rather the guile of Firmino or the energy of Jota in place of Elliott. There is a question of match sharpness for both of them but they have the experience of playing in such fixtures.

I think Madrid will switch to the more defensive 4-1-4-1 setup which is essentially their 4-3-3 with the wide players deeper. Gakpo and Firmino would be more than capable of causing problems in that case. Alexander-Arnold came in field when breaking forward to overload Casemiro in the Man Utd game and he could be utilised the same way tonight.

We'll need to be as creative as possible in the final third, using the same old formula will play into Madrid's hands and they are very capable of picking us off on the break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Same.

No if we were playing at home, i might sense a chance, but our away form has been brutal this year.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just looked at the bookies, out of curiosity.

We're 10/1 to progress. Seems very short, must be a lot of fans sticking an emotional bet on that. Closer to Klopp's 1% than 10%, I'd have thought

With that in mind, there'd still be a lot of value in a good performance and a decent result. If we could beat them, even by only 1, it'll change the dynamic going through the international break into the City/Chelsea/Arsenal week

Not saying I'd take a 1-0... but I wouldn't be too disappointed at the end if that's the result

Despite saying all that, there's always a part of me that believes in this club to do the ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A midfield of only Fab & Milner, this could be great or horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

We’ll be fine with that athletic midfield of Milner and Fabinho covering every blade of grass.

• Advertisement

Clearly too much for the kid though. An hour per game, game in game out, when he could visibly be seen to flag after a hour in a lot of games, only to be rolled out again 4 days later.

It was nuts, given his physique and the base he was coming from, a stress injury now backs that up. An hour per game to a kid like him is different to an hour a game for a fully grown, senior pro.

Anyway, onto tonight.... Looking through the fingers I'd say 😕

In strangely looking forward to this. Tired old midfield or not.

Liverpool to win, but not go through is my prediction. And that's probably a stupid biased view as in reality we lose 2-0 or something on the counter attacks.

Feck it, it could be our last CL game for a year or two, might aswell make the most of it. No point being over negative before the game.

If we go through, brilliant. If we don't, go qualify for the CL again and make up for it next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Is there a bigger snub to Keita than that team selection?

I can't see anything but annihilation this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm surprised he even put Keita on the bench.

Think we are in for a mauling, and I'm generally optimistic. Not tonight.

Milner does at least have a habit of pulling out these occasional immense starts when we're worried about him. Can't do it often, but he does tend to do it when it really counts. Very worried about Fabinho though, and about the team's general lack of pace trying to chase back after Vinicius on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think we may win but no chance of going through, I'm predicting 2-1 Pool...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I think we really need a Cian Healy-like performance from Milner tonight.

But whatever happens, I hope we go out with a bang rather than a whimper.

Milner does also have a habit to chase the ball in an attempt to press / win it back. This will leave Fabinho exposed.

I'd expect Gakpo to help out the midfield in an attacking sense but he may have to have his best game in a defensive sense too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Hurts to see Madrid don't even need Tchouameni when we need him now more than ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

Don't think it will be an annihilation, RM will just try and get through to the next round using as little energy as possible. I'll go for 0:0 at HT anyway and for it to be a boring enough half.

• Advertisement
Advertisement