Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

bigroad wrote: »
    Plenty of money for sh1t things and not enough prisons .
    Once the legal profession get their cut so be it..

yeah this is what fcuks me off! endless amounts of money for some ****, there actually must be a magic money tree, but not for the very basics of keeping endless repeat offender dangerous scum off our streets!

Can you imagine the cost of the people to society? I dont believe its cheaper to have them on the outside, than it is locked up. thats ignoring the danger they are to society and the moral disgrace it is, that they arent locked up after even one serious offence!

But welcome to varadkars all inclusive ireland, we are all a great bunch of lads and nobody is responsible for anything , at any level... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Duncoise wrote: »
    RTÉ top story tonight was about Leo's speech and the easing of the restrictions that should've been done last month when transmission ended in the community. What does that tell you?

that you're in the wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

A friend of mine who is in the Armed Response Unit told me the guy who did it has "genuine mental health issues".
    There's a cost to locking people up and or treating them, but there's a cost in having madmen running around spreading their madness

Seems to be so many known repeatedly proven criminals and nuts running around freely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah this is what fcuks me off! endless amounts of money for some ****, there actually must be a magic money tree, but not for the very basics of keeping endless repeat offender dangerous scum off our streets!

Can you imagine the cost of the people to society? I dont believe its cheaper to have them on the outside, than it is locked up. thats ignoring the danger they are to society and the moral disgrace it is, that they arent locked up after even one serious offence!

But welcome to varadkars all inclusive ireland, we are all a great bunch of lads and nobody is responsible for anything , at any level... :rolleyes:

Hard labour , no benefits, I’m probably living in dream world when they ban episode of fawlty towers in case they might upset some people

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There's a cost to locking people up and or treating them, but there's a cost in having madmen running around spreading their madness

Seems to be so many known repeatedly proven criminals and nuts running around freely.

lets imagine the cost of them on outside, likely free housing, welfare, travel, medical card, popping out more future degenerates, then the cost of maternity hospital, childs education, child allowance, no doubt mother claiming single mothers allowance...

of course, then the cost of the actual crime, free legal aid, physical or mental damage to people and property! keeping them locked up is probably mickey mouse money compared to having them roaming the streets with you and I!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

On his way into the court house he asked one of the guards where he is from. I wonder does he actually have any memory of what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

On his way into the court house he asked one of the guards where he is from. I wonder does he actually have any memory of what he did.
    That reminds me of the old joke, a man is found by two liberals, badly beaten on a side street, one turns to the other and says, "we have to find whoever did this, he needs our help." mental health my bollix, clear cut and absolute murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

walshb wrote: »
    Please, people..

Give this mental health nonsense a rest.

The act was an act of cold blooded wickedness...

Pure pure bad....whatever state of mind he was in, just make sure he never ever sets foot out of jail again..,

He will be committed. Putting a guy with history of mental health issues in prison is not the answer to anything. This isn't the US thankfully.
    Failure of our mental health services?

An insult to the many many many people doing so much great work to help people in trouble.

And then some nasty wicked person goes and kills, and it’s straight to the blaming others...pathetic.

People kill and hurt and maim. No matter what other people do to try and stop it.

As someone whose father had serious mental health issues the 40 years I knew him the mental health system needs massive overhaul in the country especially the west of Ireland.

Like I mentioned earlier take a trip down to Castlerea on the train and walk up main street. You will meet numerous mentally ill individuals walking around..that shows the failure of the system.

There has been massive cuts in services in the town and throughout the county in recent years. If nothing changes there will be more people injured or killed. If nothing is done this town will continue having one of the highest suicide rates in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Hang the murderer he attacked a cop years ago with a sword and now he does this !?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Charges have been filed and this is now before the courts. This thread is now closed

• Advertisement

Very wrong verdict imo, the guy was obviously extremely mentally ill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

When did you make this diagnosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

The right verdict. He obviously had it in for Gardai in general, and Garda Horkan in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think I'll go with the unanimous verdict of 12 people who sat though the entire trial, listened to all the evidence, and then collectively deliberated the matter for 9 hours, rather than the hot-take of some random person on the internet who read a news article.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

His nasty statements on the late Garda (needlessly given headline coverage in the media) can only have added to his family's trauma.

Let Silver rot.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

F*ck him.

The crazies should never get a free pass. In fact, there's an argument that they should get even longer sentences than "normal" murderers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

Why did it take 3 years to get to this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭bassy

if he had shot and killed a non garda it would not have been found to be capital murder,quare auld country is paddyland law.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭apache

Ah I don't know. I was very surprised to hear he was found guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Well he looked mental so that’s good enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Didn't follow every detail of the trial but I thought the same.

Sounded like there was two groups of experts giving different opinions. How's a jury supposed to know which one is right? Is it then which one is right, or which one is the most persuading for personal or emotive reasons?

I guess some on the first jury must have doubted his capacity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

To disregard the evidence of the interim clinical Director of the Central Mental Hospital must be unprecedented. I was shocked he was found guilty to be honest but I've only been reading newspaper reports.

Don't jump down my throat now anyone who is looking to be offended but are armed Gardai allowed to patrol alone?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Very unusual that the mental health excuse for murderers doesn't work.

Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭apache

I found it hard to believe the psychiatrist for the prosecution. He was saying he's lying and didn't have a mental illness at the time of the killing. I think that's bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

he “looks mental” so he has mental health issues???? I always say this, some people are mad but some are just bad, and yet people always opt for the mad route. Why is it so hard to accept that there are just some wrong uns in this world. Poor Garda doing his job, he didn’t deserve to be shot and killed. I hope this excuse of a human gets a nice long sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Also, guilty by reason of insanity is not a handy one. You'd get out sooner if sent to the joy (capital cases aside).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Capital murder carries a sentence of 40 years. When I was young back in the 80s it was a hanging offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Because he had a history of medically certified mental illness, including aspects of obsessional animus towards the Gardaí generally.

The jury obviously decided that it was not a factor in the incident that resulted in Gda. Horkan's murder.

Advertisement