Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭downtheroad

What is a market value though? I already mentioned it but extended family member listed a property at €460k on EA recommendation, top bid for weeks was €430k (which is then the market value) until idiot local council came in and paid €460k. Had the EA listed at €490k no doubt the idiot council would have wasted more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

not too many people posting that at all from what i have seen,

there tends to be 2 types of poster in these threads, the ones that constantly post any scrap of bad news they can find, however tangential it is to irish property and proclaim the end is coming, a massive crash is around the corner, etc etc and there are others (i would count myself among them) that could see some softening of prices, probably single digits, but nothing more than that because of the demand that is still out there.

the same doom mongers (with a varying array of usernames) have been posting the same stuff for years now, of course its possible one day they may be correct, but a single month 0.6% decrease isnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Think eurozone inflation was 9% last year, if the ecb stop rate hikes it could be the same again this year.

Got a tempting offer on my business last year but didn't bite as I didn't want a hape of euro devaluing in the bank. Have a few quid at the minute might buy myself a classic bike n car - not a midlife crisis love, I swear!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

The first decrease is the turning point. Prices will fall from now on. There will be no more rises until the next bubble.

If you think that prices can fall slightly, and then go back to rising, then that’s a sign of economic illiteracy.

As another poster says here every few weeks: it’s doesn’t mean hooray cheap houses for all, it means that for a significant cohort, they can no longer buy due to rate rises and as such, will not be buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Some day an asteroid bigger than the one that wiped out the dinosaurs will crash into this planet....it might not be tomorrow....but it will happen...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Look again at the chart posted, 4 months in a row of prices going down in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭DataDude

’if you think prices can fall slightly and then continue rising then that is a sign of economic illiteracy’

That has happened multiple times over the last few years. Certainly in late 18/early 19 and then again in mid 20.

I also fall into camp that think prices will fall slightly, but will ultimately be supported over the medium term by very strong inflation. We’ve also in the last 2 days had 2 year Irish bond yields fall by almost a whole percentage point which is a big factor in supporting house prices. It’s a complex system

I believe house prices have been falling for the last 6 months (slightly) and this is just now coming up in CSO data which will show further drops into the summer due to the lag…however, forward looking indicators - primary asking prices and mortgage approval amounts would indicate to me that prices have actually stabilised, started to creep up again during early 2023 which I think is likely linked to both wage inflation and LTI limits.

one of us is economically illiterate and it isn't me it seems.

sorry what point are you making, i have seen that chart, i don't recall commenting on it or quoting the post however.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Do you think that interest rate rises are done in Europe? Surely the ECB still want to curb inflation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Looking at today’s price changes in Dublin on MyHome.ie, there are more increases than reductions. That’s unusual. The stock market might be panicking over a potential financial crash, but I do have the sense things have picked up again significantly in our housing market since the new year. Possibly a last hurrah before all th brewing storm clouds flatten things out for a while.

Sorry I thought you were referring to the table on a previous page which shows prices in Dublin dropping 4 months in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Gold is good for you?, seems high at €1825 per ounce. How long would you plan to hold on to it and would you be concerned at the potential loss if you need to sell?

Gold is almost as high as it has been at any time over the past 3 years during a global pandemic and war. If you expect a crisis, cash is often useful, not many shops accept gold if you need to buy goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya nothing wrong with cash in a recession. Real money is made during a recession.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

That gold has gone up as inflation has gone up is why it is considered a store of value. Its traditionally an inflation hedge - though its arguable how good or consistent.

Its not liquid as you say, and gold dealers will try to screw you on the resale.

It won't produce spectacular returns or outperform markets normally. Its just good at holding its value.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ApeEvolved

I wouldn't recommend buying a property right now.

But...not sure I would ever recommend buying a shiny rock.

No. But the expectation of interest rate rises is significantly more important to financial markets than actual interest rate rises. And the financial markets are now convinced the ECB won’t be raising rates as much as they previously feared. Institutional investors etc. are much more dependent on forward looking yields (driven by expectations) not actual rate increases.

The only caveat to this is Irish banks have been very slow to pass on rate increases for specific competition reasons and high deposits.

Mortgage Rates should have been at 4/5% well over a year ago as they were across lots of europe and our non-bank lenders. In most markets that would be very significant for house prices. In Ireland our tight LTI limits have capped residential demand, artificially (and rightly) keeping a lid on houses prices.

So the only question remains, will banks pull back lending when they finally get their rates to their terminal point (which is now lower than it was expected to be a week ago). The evidence so far suggests absolutely not as average approval amounts jumped considerably in January despite rising mortgage rates.

FTBs might be sad that their repayments will be higher but ultimately they’ll still borrow what the banks will give them as it’ll be cheaper than the ludicrous rent they’re paying.

Who knows, maybe house prices might plummet this year, but it’s far from certain. You also must recognise that you’re constantly battling against the upward forces of inflation which are incredibly strong right now. House prices will be higher than they are today in 20 years time. That is almost a certainty. Sharp short term movements are a guessing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ApeEvolved

"House prices will be higher than they are today in 20 years time. That is almost a certainty."

The age old line from agents to get you to buy at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You'd have to admit, there is a better than average chance that they are right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

This drop needs to be looked at as its at a time of p1ss poor supply prices and savage demand and yet prices have dropped. This is just the start another rate rise tomorrow wonder how much the next MoM drop will be

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I'm not recommending it as such but I see the appeal.

Apparently when Argentina collapsed around 1998-2002 gold jewellery was in big demand.

We all got used to really low inflation. But it would be completely normal to expect 3% wage inflation on average. Which means in 20 years wages will be 80% higher than they are today.

Only a moron would bet house prices will be lower in nominal terms in 20 years than they are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

of house prices dropping the interest rate hikes are starting to kick in with regards to affordability so there is another hike tomorrow so we will see further drops while interest rates are up as high as they are.

You seem quite sure, what kind of drops are you expecting in percentage terms?

House prices are about 40 percent higher than when people started with this correction around the corner talk, you'd expect a slow down at some point but anyone that held off 4 or 5 years ago will be pretty unhappy id have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't think he was disputing that - only pointing out that it doesn't necessarily mean you should immediately buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

I rang the council a few weeks ago and told them I have a house for sale and would be interested in selling to them to avoid the hassle of an open market sale etc. They told me their policy is only to buy houses with tenants in place. Surely buying a house and getting a social tenant is the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Only anecdotal evidence but I've been looking with some time and of late for first time I have seen good few properties being relisted at reduced prices. Maybe they were just up too high but I get real sense of change. Against that supply remains poor but should be pick up as head into the peak season for selling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I bought my gold and silver years ago, but I would still deem it to be a good means of protecting money. If you buy gold, you're in it for the long haul, and I mean decades. It's not going to make you rich, but I'd rather have an ounce of gold than a load of cash in the bank.

By the way, gold has jumped 100 euro in the last seven days. That doesn't bode well for global financial stability...

Advertisement