Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 The CW

Yeah I'm not buying it either tbh, it's a pretty weak excuse tbf. As if a currently non existant, and likely infrequent rail service even if it gets introduced is going to be detrimental to busses using Childers Road. Also, I think he was dismissive towards the people living on or near the Childers Road with regards to my proposal as he said it would only benefit the people living in Monaleen/Castletroy and Dooradoyle/Raheen but not the other communities along the way such as Castletroy View, Roxboro, Janesboro or Ballinacurra etc. Under current proposals if they want to get to Monaleen/Castletroy or Dooradoyle/Raheen they first have to travel the opposite direction towards the City Centre before actually going the direction they need to go. My proposal would have resolved that issue. I'm going to keep onto them about it anyway, I'm not giving up. I think it is a glaring mistake and omission not to have at least one route using the length of the Childers Road. If people like the Route 6A as I originally proposed it, make a submission to them about it. We may be able to pressure them into providing that service which will link up a lot of key Employment, Educational, Shopping, Healthcare and other services like Banks and Post Offices, Credit Unions etc. along the route. We have until the 7th of April to make our voices known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They are probably privately thinking "shure lots of places don't have access to UL,UHL etc." but that bus service is like being on a Luas line by Limerick standards. Big difference between never having it and having it taken away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Agreed and I love the determination you're showing and I guarantee you're not the only one, good luck with it 👍

It's the most direct route between the two largest suburbs of Limerick, I think it's worth fighting for.

I have no choice tbf, I rely on the busses to get everywhere. I don't drive as I can't afford to. So, it's busses or bust lol ;)

• Advertisement

As a car owner I like the idea of leaving the car at home from time to time. I live in Limerick but work in Cork so it's not easy but I have on more than one occasion used the bike and train to commute. Did you know busses don't allow bikes on board in this city? Completely backwards situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭LeoD

Why would you bring a bike onto a city bus service? Where is it going to fit? Bringing bikes on inter-urban transport makes sense but not for trips starting and ending within the city.

For people who live close to but not on a bus route.

The 10e each way charge for a bike on inter city is a fekin joke too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭LeoD

Just because they do it in north America doesn't mean it's either a good idea or worth doing here. The majority of people will live within 400m of a bus stop and if you don't live that close, you'd be quicker cycling to where ever you're going rather than to a bus stop, waiting around for the bus to come, putting your bike (if not too heavy for you to lift) on the front rack of a bus (bus more than likely not capable of taking a rack), delaying everyone on the bus as you secure your bike, removing your bike at the stop nearest your destination before completing your journey by bike.

I never said we should do it here. I was just answering the questions why ? and where would it fit ?

No need to be so aggressive or coming up with shte about not being able to lift a bike.

• Advertisement

Before the 304A route people living on the schoolhouse road in Monaleen were up to a 30 minute walk or 3 minute cycle from the nearest bus stop to Raheen. I accept that is a niche case and no longer relevant though. A more modern example is anybody living between Castleconnell and Annacotty, it's even more niche though

As for the €10 each way charge, get a bike case and claim it isn't a bike. How it's free for trains but not for busses is madness

I can't understand how with all the other implemented or planned travel improvements that 10e charge still exists.

It's not like it's an added fuel usage charge... Most bikes weigh less than your average holiday suitcase... Most are lighter than the people cycling them

Had a look over my lunch break... It's worse again...From the Bus Eireann Website

Bicycles will be carried only if sufficient accommodation is available; they must be placed in the luggage compartment or other designated area of the vehicle and are subject to a charge, per single journey, of €10.00.  

Folding bicycles which are packed and wrapped in a suitable carrier bag/protective covering will be treated as passengers’ accompanied luggage and carried free of charge in the luggage storage area.

Folding bicycles which are NOT packed or wrapped as described above will be charged at the full cycle rate, per single journey, of €10.00.

What's the difference between a folding bike in a bag and one not in a bag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Limerick Chamber - BusConnects Submission 05.04.2023.pdf

Limerick Chamber has just published its submission to the BusConnects consultation. A few odd requests such as the suggestion of bus routes via M7/M20 and the Limerick Tunnel and their suggestion that the proposed busgate on O'Connell Street be scrapped in favour of full pedestrianisation, despite the fact that the street is all but finished with two large lanes down the middle. They cite Grafton Street as inspiration despite the fact that O'Connell Street and Grafton Street are two very different streets.

I'm surprised the CoC are for full pedestrianisation. Whatever about people thinking it should be no cars it would be crazy to not use it as a bus route.

Also I assume they wrongly believe that pedestrianisation includes bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

It's quite a detailed submission although it does talk a lot about rail transport which is entirely outside the scope of BusConnects.

I'd be very interested to see what physical improvements are required in terms of bus lanes and junction upgrades.

Would you need a Raheen Business Park to NTP express bus ?

Surely very few people want to go to both on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sandydave

If your looking for a day out get Dublin bus to Tralee from Arthur's key to Tralee which takes around 1 hrs 45 min Adare bypass Rathkeale Newcastlewest Abbeyfeale bypass Castle island on to Tralee bus returning to Limerick from Princess street Tralee opposite Brandon Hotel 1 am arrive Limerick 2.45 am.Free pass accepted social welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Paddico

No punctuation or grammar checks needed for that trip either ....

You could have a Castletroy/Monaleen to RBP which then turns around and goes Dooradoyle/Raheen to NTP, both express? But very few would go between the 2 parks

A route from Castletroy/Raheen to Shannon Ind Estate and Airport could be viable through the tunnel

I would say your second suggestion is way better than the other one given that Raheen to Castletroy is already the best serviced routes in the city and is even due to go 24hr.

I think it would be great to have more than one route to Shannon given how important the place is. It's a far more manageable and realistic upgrade than all that tram/monorail shte talk.

It's serviced yes, but not by express busses...

Yes but the point is given we don't have unlimited resources why should there be an express business park to business park bus ?

If you route it through the Castletroy, Raheen and Dooradoyle it probably won't be express anymore so who does it serve ?

If we have a bus to waste on this project then it would be much better used linking one of the many many areas have no access to UHL or UL than an express to places that are already connected.

Routing it through Castletroy/Raheen means you link the people who live in Castletroy but work in Raheen and vice versa with their offices in a way that they don't have to spend an hour traversing the city in each direction

UHL is served by 6 bus routes and UL with 4 at last count so they are already well served

Where are those UL and UHL buses from and to. Each other that's where.

Cant get from Moyross to either. Currently can't get from Caherdavin to either (due to change for UL)

You and the plan above want to put another route to 2 already connected areas. Boo fukin hoo it gets stuck in traffic. Most of the city doesn't even have the luxury of a bus that gets stuck in traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

A better way of linking the business parks would be to have an express bus from the city leaving once every half hour. Get the standard route to town then change to the express. An express is better when it connects a hub with a destination, not 2 destinations.

My thinking is it would remove cars from the road which would otherwise be used by people going to/from work using that same road. The current service that connects those locations can take up to 90 minutes in rush hour due to the added traffic in the city

I'm not saying for a minute that buses from the Northside to UL or Raheen shouldn't be tried either, I'm making the point that we have a road linking 2 heavily populated parts of our city, each with a large industrial zone... The traffic that is shared between these locations could be moved to public transport if the right route was put in

An express bus going from the city to UL or Raheen every hour sounds good in theory but you're still talking about the city traffic slowing them down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

The idea behind bus connects isn't just changing routes. It's designed to introduce the infrastructure to allow busses run on routes where they're not affected by traffic. So that wouldn't be a concern.

The point others have made stands, an express bus between 2 destinations makes no sense, but an express bus between a population hub and 2 destinations does.

Advertisement