Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022-23 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

nasty challenge by fabinho

they need to start giving yellows for every cynical foul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Osimhen gets a second. Top 5 striker in the world.

great save by allison yet again

no yellow for the pull back by gakpo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Lots of really petulant little ankle taps going in from Liverpool players now.

stange sub here from klopp. elliot and firminho for jota and nunez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The commentator on BT continually pronouncing the name Benzy Ma is doing my head in.

Zielinski makes it 3-0 from the spot.

what a miss by benzema

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I know you shouldn't write Madrid off in the champions league but they are not great this season...can't see them beating the likes of City, Bayern or Napoli this year...

i'll go with the old cliche...they know how to get it done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I know what you mean...its incredible how they always compete despite being not great this year. Saying that I just can't see them winning it...

BENZEMA!!!

Take him off for Barca.

1-0 madrid thru benzema

how was he left unmarked to receive the 1st pass?

Big game player. Only Ronaldo and Messi have more CL goals in the KO stage than him.

that would have been a lovely goal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Delighted with that outcome in the MadridLiverpool tie. It’s only a pity they didn’t knock a few more past them.

handball rules in europe are fucked if the ref gives this. has been called over so i suspect he will

ETA: no pen

• Advertisement

Think that was the correct decision. Can't be giving pens for that.

Comprehensive victory for Madrid as Kroos, Camavinga and Modric won the midfield battle handily. Nacho pocketed Salah. Militao and Rudiger were solid. Vini Jr caused TAA problems all night. Benzema didn't look fully fit but got his goal. Liverpool's best player was Alisson who kept the score down.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

Real very solid tonight, just lacking their usual clinical finishing. Rudiger and Militao immense and didn't give pool a sniff.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Very kind of RM to play YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Love see Napoli or Inter win it now.

Still open.

I'd like to see:

Napoli vs Benfica

Man City vs Bayern

Chelsea vs Madrid

Milan derby

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'v a strong dislike Barca and Real, but that was a nice 'gesture' by them in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

3 Italian teams in the quarter finals.

Been a while since that happened or has it ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Big game player. Only Ronaldo and Messi have played more KO games than Benzema. But yes, he does have to put away the chances.

Bayern (GER)

Benfica (POR)

Chelsea (ENG)

Inter (ITA)

Man City (ENG)

Milan (ITA)

Napoli (ITA)

Real Madrid (ESP)

Hard to believe that the bookmakers still have Manchester City and Bayern Munich shorter in the betting than Real Madrid. Nine points off Barcelona before el Clasico this weekend, and 1-0 down to those opponents in the Copa del Rey means that this could be their best shot (again) at a trophy. They have won as many CLs as all other clubs together in the last decade, so you can see them driving on. I'm wondering if Napoli would prefer to face them over 90 minutes, or over two legs. Bayern are probably the only team who genuinely see themselves on the same level as Madrid and certainly wouldn't fear them, even if they aren't quite the force they were. I don't know if its the Julia Roberts in me (!), but I just cannot see Man City ever lifting this trophy. Pep will inevitably out-Pep himself and put Haaland in goals or something anytime there's a possibility of winning this thing. I presume the draw isn't rigged, and everyone wants to draw Benfica.

Not only the QFs, but actually three in the SFs in 2003.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

2003 has both Milan's and Juve in the semis

Same 3 teams made the quarters a few times up until 2007 I think. Since then, it's been a meagre return excepting inters win and a juve final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It was a thank you to Liverpool, as Liverpool had paid respect to a Real Madrid legend Amancio who had died before the 1st leg.

With the winners of the derby and Napoli game meeting in the semi 😁

Strong words from Carragher on Alexander-Arnold.

His attacking attributes are exciting but, unlike previous seasons, it's not proving to be worth the risk of his defensive deficiencies. If the defensive side of his game isn't improving, the question has to be asked whether he's one of those players that would be better suited as a WB with a back 3 behind him instead of as an orthodox FB. Can't see that suiting Klopp's preferred system though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Liverpool were non-existent in the 2nd half tonight.

Was it a case of Madrid just managing the game, keeping possession or the fact that Liverpool seem to be a 45min team this season? They look so blunt and bereft of ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wouldn’t agree that Liverpool are a 45 minute team anyway, and if anything, are often better in the second half - have scored more second half goals, and conceded fewer second half goals. Sure the big downfall for big chunks of the season has been starting woefully and conceding really early. Really though, they’re moreso either good in games, or rubbish in games.

Tonight it just looked like as time wore on, what little belief there may have been just slipped away as the challenge got bigger and bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Madrid using their experience and just easing Liverpool out of the game. Like putting your hand on the forehead of a small child, and watch as they flail and throw punches aimlessly... without the ability to land anything of significance. Madrid were very classy and mature in their play. They're the masters at this level, it's what you expect. Ancelotti has been around the block so many times at this level of competition, he knows how to see out a tie.

Before the draws later

Co-efficient rating 3 competitions

01 Bayern (GER)

02 Man City (ENG)

04 Chelsea (ENG)

05 Real Madrid (ESP)

12 Inter (ITA)

20 Benfica (POR)

21 Napoli (ITA)

36 Milan (ITA)

07 Man United

09 Juventus

13 AS Roma

19 Sevilla

25 Bayer Leverkusen

33 Sporting CP

34 Feyenoord

105 Union SG

35 Basel

42 AZ Alkmaar

48 West Ham

51 Gent

102 Fiorentina

110 Lech Poznan

113 Anderlecht

116 Nice

REAL MADRID vs CHELSEA

INTER MILAN vs BENFICA

MAN CITY vs BAYERN MUNCHEN

AC MILAN vs NAPOLI

Benfica swapped to play at home because of bottom tie (don't know why they didn't swap the last drawn one!)

• Advertisement

semi-finals

(AC MILAN vs NAPOLI) vs (INTER MILAN vs BENFICA) Italian team in final!

(REAL MADRID vs CHELSEA) vs (MAN CITY vs BAYERN MUNCHEN)

Holy fracking sht.

Milan, Napoli, Benfica or Inter in the final.

The other side of the draw gives Pep so many chances to Pep himself out of the tournament 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

I’d say UEFA and the sponsors are absolutely sick at that draw. From the neutrals perspectives 2 great quarters and semi final and 2 who cares ties and a who cares semi final. And one of the less glamourous teams in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Man, that is some lop-sided draw.

Great for Napoli though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think it's because AC Milan qualified as Seria A champions, so their tie is fixed whilst Inter is movable. It's a fairly arbitrary way of doing it (though I suppose first tie out would be arbitrary as well)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Napoli could well knock out both Milan teams- they would love that.

Draw makes it seriously hard for City to win it - fine by me.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

3 former champions and 1 sky blue also ran on each side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I think most teams would of feared Napoli, and Napoli would of beat most teams into submission. But in a way, I think Milan is probably a bad draw for them. I think they would of been confident against all the other teams, but will carry some doubt into the Milan game.

Milan have European pedigree and beat them to the title last year, they'll be aware of both and could factor into the the psychology of the game. Everyone has Milan wrote off, so I wouldn't be surprised if they put in a huge shift and ambused Napoli here. Very dangerous tie for Napoli imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Milan-Napoli is a who cares tie? I would consider it a huge match and fairly intriguing. The way Benfica are playing, could be a great game v Inter. It's often the "big" games that let you down, with the "lesser" ties providing the action. 4 interesting matches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

As a neutral, I think it's a great draw. Bar Chelsea, I'd say all of those teams reckon they could beat their opponent.

Advertisement