Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Good to Go - Food App

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭samo

I had my first bad experience now with James Whelan bag, free-range, organic chicken from 9.99 bag (with other thing being a cottage pie) but was completely rancid. Was dated 14th March and day of purchase and straight in bin.

Have sent complaint to Too Good To Go so hoping can be refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LJ3103

Thats really unual to get something from them that has the same best beforfe date as the day you purchase it. All of there stuff is normally the next day. Which JW store did you get the bag from?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭crayon80

Except some stores aren't doing 75% off any more.

I get the unpredictability of what's left for the surprise bags but they should follow some sort of guidance on not having 3/4 of one item if it can't be frozen. Otherwise it'll be thrown out anyway which defeats the aim of food waste reduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Chicken would have a consume by date not best before due to salmonella risk

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LJ3103

Thats what I meant, The JW stuff all has use by dates, and the date is always for the date after the date you purchase

• Advertisement

It was the Leapardstown store, I was surprised myself that it was dated same day but always really high quality stuff.

definitely this had gone off way before though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭magicray

Haven't managed to get an Aldi bag yet but got this for €3 in lidl this morning

I'm delighted it's great value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

They are a great idea, I seen a few in dunsaughlin

Only thing is will flavours/smell mix in, be better if cardboard or that dividers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Buffman

That's woeful, hardly worth the advertised €12 at full prices, never mind with 75% discounts applied.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got this from aldi last night. The worst I've seen. I banged off a complaint to TGTG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭gussieg

You can be fairly sure the highvalue items won't go astray out the back, I understand working there there has to be some perks , was going to complain about a box I got until I saw the 3 euro fruit and veg boxes at the lidl in leixlip. Unless people had been lifting items as they passed by , very poor offer of stuff.

Also just occurred to me, they don't want to encourage too many to these shopping practices. Grand just go back to paying to have your waste taken away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Harika

If you struggle to find a recipe for your loot, https://www.chefgpt.xyz/pantryChef creates a recipe based on your available ingredients

I got an email back based on the above and a voucher credited to my account. Seems value is based on full price of the box, not the discounted price.

Thank you for reaching out and supporting Too Good To Go.

We appreciate your patience in waiting for us to get back to you - we are really sorry for the delay.

We understand you may have received less food than was promised on your recent Surprise Bag rescue. Just so you know, the original price displayed in the app is calculated at the original retail value of the goods - and not any in-store promotions or reductions that the store may be running.

On this occasion and in the interest of processing your claim quickly, we would like to offer a free meal on us. This voucher will be credited to your account in the next 24 hours and you’ll receive an additional email letting you know when it’s ready to go.

The voucher is valid for one purchase on the Too Good To Go app and it will expire in 6 months. You can check the details on your voucher page (within the app > click the Me tab > Payment Methods > My Vouchers).

If there is more information you require or if you believe your claim needs further investigation, please get back in contact with us and we will proceed accordingly.

I hope this hasn’t discouraged you from continuing to rescue great food in the future. We really appreciate your enthusiasm for saving food waste with us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I don't think that was worthy of a voucher. They clearly gave it to you out of goodwill rather than because you deserved it. Obviously the value of the box is calculated on the basis of its retail price and not that discount price. I honestly don't think you had much to complain about. Disappointed maybe - it's a surprise after all, but to complain to TGTG is a bit much.

Well know know that it's based on full price not discounted price.

Still it was 3.99 and I got 4.99 in a voucher. Well worth complaining

It isn't 'obvious' that the value is calculated on the full retail price when people are receiving items with '75% off' stickers on them. I'm glad he got it clarified regarding discounted prices and now we know for sure that the TGTG bag can be more expensive than just buying the items in Aldi at 75% off.

Now I know that if I want some discounted Aldi items, I'm better off just going into Aldi earlier at a more convenient time to get stuff I might actually want at a 75% discount, rather than having to go in late at night to get a random box of items I might not use for an advertised 66.75% discount. (€3.99Vs€12)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Of course it’s obvious, that’s how TGTG works

No its not. I've had boxes from aldi which were based on the discounted value of thr products. What's obvious to me is that different staff think differently about what value should go into the box.

My totally rotten chicken from James Whelan (9.99 bag - other thing was a 8.99 Shepards pie) was refunded with a good will 4.99 voucher.

TBH, wasn’t happy with that, not after driving there and stomach turning chicken! So wrote back and said didn’t think it was good enough, got the 9.99 refunded about 10 mins later. Not sure if they took the voucher back but this has kinda put me off TGTG a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Maybe the wrong type of food is been hawked on this app! Food been sold on its expiry date is little good unless someone has a use for late night cooking and eating or looking to freeze everything on day of purchase. Maybe short date produce such as rice etc. With maybe a week or more of useful life left in them with say a 50% discount would work better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

So are there any other TGTG suppliers where I can get the items at a greater discount directly from the supplier rather than through the TGTG app? AFAIK Aldi are unique in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭gussieg

Do bear in mind that 75% off was not readily available in the aldis near me before they went on the 2g2g app. Plus lidls measly 20% off and crap discounts in the app are a real slap in the face for food that is otherwise bin bound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Used to be 50% off in my Aldi. They've changed it to 30% now. Probably to make it look better value in the TGTG box 😠

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭chasm

I've only ever managed to get 1 tgtg from aldi. Every day since then the app just tells me to check again at 22.02, and then it states that they are all gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭con747

Same here with the app times. I gave up trying it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

My local Aldis usually put them up around 6pm, usually gone in a half hour, and then you pick up at half nine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭chasm

I have checked the app around that time too, as a couple of other shops put stuff up at around 6pm, but it says the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭con747

Only 1 near me 10km drive and always sold out @ 10.01pm or 10.02pm. I've had 4 people refreshing the app from 9.55pm to 10.03pm and it always says sold out at those times. Even when it says 1 bag available when you try and buy it it says sold out 1 minute before even though it still shows as available when you go back to it. Not worth the time or effort in my local which is one of the worst Aldi's I have ever been in.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

you might want to refresh the app between 17.45 and 18.45 instead, as that's when they're put up

The 'sold out at 10pm' is a bit confusing to be fair, they sell out by half past six usually

Advertisement