Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Obviously EP being sold out on early bird/before Christmas means no business need to announce acts “early” and “regularly” to drive sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Fair comment and please don't think I'm having at go at you.

EP has sold out and taken the piss for years. Other festivals have far more punter-oriented approach. EP only focussed on the corporate margins/gains. They won't release the schedule either until the days running up. All twatty craic that most of us see through. If other festivals really get it right - Beyond The Pale this year with a real sense of "we're going places" about them, we'll see how much loyalty remains in the kids EP are left to scrap with the likes of Longitude over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

So any speculation on who these acts that we are waiting on might be? Can't think of too many big gigs on here over the next few weeks that might be delaying an announcement (Bicep aside). Sam Smith? Also seems like most major festivals in and around EP have announced their lineups - although probably have further announcements to come.

Lana del ray album out 24th March and besides Glastonbury has not announced any European summer dates.

wouldn’t be shocked if she announces her proper tour announcement early in April.

rumours that she is doing a bunch of august festivals in europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well two other festivals Cala Mijas in Spain and Kalorama in Portugal have to still make their second announcements, I think both European festivals have announced 14 names so far so maybe there is some major name or a bunch of names delaying this announcement for early September festivals. That and maybe a smattering of acts from EOTR too will end up on the Picnic bill.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Roskilde, Bilbao BBK, Sziget, and NOS Alive have all been drip feeding their line-ups this year. I'm not on the mailing list for the others so I can't say what they've been doing.

Longitude and EP are both ultimately controlled by Live Nation. I doubt they're scrapping with each other for audience share.

The other fests haven't wasted their own time and that of their attendees trying to generate fake buzz or have a pathetic launch event. Theyve announced their line up and gotten on with things. So Bicep are yet to sell out there show and need EP to hold off - great - put a ???? on the poster and fill that in later on. Just don't treat your customers with contempt.

As for my comment on Longitude, I cited them as an example of a fest that have radically changed direction in recent years. EP hasnt gone there yet of course, but could well be on the way.

All those festivals aren’t sold out or at least weren’t sold based on early bird/Christmas release.

EP is in fortunate position of not having to announce anything to sell tickets. similar to Glastonbury in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Without giving any names, and if privy to details, can we then expect a few touring acts to be in the next lineup?

it’s rarely happened before, but then these are different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Mucker46

I would be of a different view if tickets are sold then no need to drip feed. Explains why I am not in marketing business

• Advertisement

Well at this moment in time maybe half the line up has been booked and slots confirmed. Main stage, electric arena, rankin’s wood, terminus etc would be locked in.

probably not a position to announce more than that at this moment in time if they so wished

Not sure what you mean by touring acts in that sense?

EP is nearly 100% touring acts/djs. It rarely books once off special performances/commissions.

Do you think Boris Brejcha has a chance of being in the Terminus line up, I notice he's touring Europe later for a change rather than the usual US EDM festivals this year. He's down for one gig in US Sept 1st but then there's a full week gap where he's back in Germany on 8th September.

His website says he is in Chicago the Friday of EP. Take what you want from that. Very unlikely imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

So, even if half the lineup has been booked its still a large list that could be announced.

Many Irish and European festivals have managed to provide their line-ups...is there something unique about EP that its so drawn out?

52 acts were announced in the March announcement last year. Given that 11 have already been announced for this year, probably expect another 30 -40 acts in the April announcement.

from my own memories of attending EP launch parties in Pod/crawdaddy the line up has always been launched in either March or April. it’s just it’s tradition at this point.

At least once before they announced a few acts before Christmas with the early bird ticket release.

I remember Bestival when it announced, it would give at least half the line up in the first announcement. What ever became of that one, I know they had a high profile drugs tragedy one year which didn't do it any favours but man they used to get some serious headliners in the past. It was very similar to the Reynold's inspired Electric Picnic. Their Body & Soul was called the Ambient Forest and they had reggae areas and other side shows besides main stage stuff. Wales also had Festival Number 6 which had some nice line ups too and similar in style and need we forget, the original Connect festival in Dumfries, Galloway, Scotland that had fairly similar line ups to Electric Picnic in 2007 and 2008. Not many camping music festivals left in Scotland these days, they used to have some crackers. Did anyone ever make it to RockNess, that was a great wee fest only made it there in 2010.

Yeah 2014 Xmas Jon Hopkins and Belle & Sebastian were announced for the 2015 edition.

Can't think of a more vapid experience than an EP launch event. What are they like?

Use to be free food and booze in Pod/crawdaddy complex.

recent ones been a few drink tokens etc

• Advertisement

Suprised they didnt compel people to pay for a ticket. 😀

All for a few cheapo column inches. Muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Musicrules

🤣 How bitter is this fella? Did an EP organiser steal your wife? Calm yourself.

hehe ran out of patience with this bunch chief, you've more tolerance for nonsense than I do it appears. Well in.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Navan Man01

That was great entertainment reading through the last few days folks!! And fair play Fanirish, a logical & obv informed answer to each poser thrown at you!

I’m happy enough to wait til next month, good things come to those who wait (apparently!)

Anyone going to Forest Fest, deadly little line up for that! The boards for it is like a morgue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Would love to go to Forest Fest but on holidays with the family. Some great music at it, and announced early

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Granite Head

I'm going to FF (first time). In my opinion a great line up (for my vintage).

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yeah, tickets bought for FF.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Acts that are currently touring and have upcoming Irish dates as per the conversation. You’ve implied delays in announcing certain acts due to imminent gigs.

We all know about Bicep but I can’t think of many acts playing this month that will be returning to EP thus necessitating an announcement delay until April. As before it’s extremely rare that this happens and I can’t see 2023 being any different.

Bestival had serious financial problems, couldn’t pay its artists in 2018 and went into administration soon after.

Festival no 6 struggled to make cash also. A huge pity as I’d love to have gone to Portmeirion. Looked like a special setting for an event.

• Advertisement

i said it’s an industry practice/in contracts that acts aren’t announced for festivals until any headline shows have either happened or sold out. Don’t want to cannibalise sales.

never Said that EP announcement was moved to April from regular March timing due to a specific act having an upcoming show. People here made a guess weeks ago that any announcement would be after bicep tonight as they are probably likely.

realistically could be multiple of these possible factors: it’s already sold out, they have announced 11 acts already so they’ve given customers “something”, maybe big international act has embargoed their tour announcement till April, acts have shows in March, maybe there is a new sponsor coming on board and contracts/marketing material etc weren’t in place for March announcement. Maybe marketing team decided to change things with announcing those headline acts early and rest a bit later than norm.

Advertisement