Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Lavender

Options
  • 15-03-2023 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I planted a number of lavender plants in our back garden a couple of years ago based on the thinking that they look great, smell great, good for pollinators and low maintenance. Most of the above was true, except for the low maintenance bit. I've found that after 2 years, the bottom of the plants becomes 'woody' and started to look awful, so have taken them up. Any ideas for an alternative with similar traits, but which will not need replacing every 1-2 years? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They don't need replacing like that, you just need to give them a haircut after the flowers have faded. Take off the flower stalks and some of the green growth but don't go into the woody part of the plant. They also prefer to be in free-draining soil on a sunny site.

As to alternatives, the only one that comes immediately to mind is Salvia, ornamental sage.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I never have success with lavender I don’t think it likes our NW climate here so I replace the ones I have every 2 or 3 years.

If you’re looking to get the same effect as lavender and pollinator friendly I did our long drive with a mix of saliva as looksee mentioned above with catmint. I often get comments from non gardening visitors on how good my ‘lavender’ looks! 😂

Edit Caherhurley nursery sell organic versions of these if you want to be extra pollinator friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

The lavender sold in most garden centres are not really suitable for your conditions.

I grow the lavender variety Munsted. It is much more suited to our climate and re grows from the centre easily. You do need to cut it back after flowering. It also self seeds everywhere so you find baby plants easily.

I grow it from seed with no problem. Mature plants are sometimes available in garden centres but are hideously expensive.

Rosemary is an alternative but also needs to be cut back regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

As mentioned lavender needs a good pruning in the late Autumn. People often neglect these plants and they look unsightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP try Nepeta "Six Hills Giant". Its not that long lived but propagates very easily. Much loved by bees.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'm definitely going to try this variety.....I have no luck with lavender at all and I love it.....self seeding would be a complete bonus 💕

I had Munstead in pots near a gravel path laid on concrete and the amount of seedling that grew amongst the gravel was extraordinary. But it’s been equally successful in the border, come rain or frost. Just be careful weeding near it as the seedlings are tiny until they develop a little.

There may be other old English varieties that work as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

I have read before that lavender often tends to be short lived anyway so it not doing great may not be an indicator of your garden conditions. Without knowing more details of these it is not very easy to say what will work out to be low maintenance as these will often have an impact on what plants will do well. As a similar alternative to lavender you might also consider curry plant (Helichrysum italicum) which I have found to be fairly easy to propagate from cuttings and has done well with little maintenance here although I do occasionally cut off some of the older stems to make it look less straggly. Thyme is also a good one to consider and the edible sage and rosemary. If you have less light and still would like some flowers that are good for pollinators a ground cover to consider might be Ajuga.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Weeding isn't my forte until I'm 100% certain it's a weed I leave everything be.

I used to garden in the UK on what they call Bagshot Sand. Its a soil type that is what it says on the tin SAND! In those conditions which would be similar to Munstead Wood (heatland soil) where Lavendular Munstead got its name from and with perfect drainage lavender goes on for years.

My best recommendation for any lavender is to plant it in full sun in very well drained gritty/sandy raised beds.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that information about Munstead lavender. I have found it very forgiving of dampish conditions but not waterlogged. Had to desist from cutting one back a few years ago as a robin had nested in the centre of the plant.

Not sure if I or the bird got the biggest fright when I started trimming the flowers.

It regrew from a severe trimming when the sitting tenant moved out. Never returned and still owing rent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DB83

Thanks for all the comments - very helpful for a garden novice like myself. It was only after planting the lavender that I came to realise the differences between the French/ Mediterranean versions and the Munstead variety. I think drainage may be an issue in our garden due to poor soil quality so will have to look at addressing that before replanting the area. Will definitely give the plants mentioned above some consideration!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

You can try catmint or perovskia

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Is that a clematis through the tree in the background looks lovely!

I have a feeling ‘six hills giant’ is sterile so doesn’t self seed? I’ve propagated mine by division.

I thought it might have been a rambling rose something like this one https://www.thefragrantrosecompany.co.uk/mannington-mauve-rose obviously blue isn't a colour you'd see in a rose (no thats not a challenge) - (Edit another similar rambling rose https://futureforests.ie/products/rosa-purple-skyliner) . I just pulled the first good picture of Six Hills Giant I could find with google.

Advertisement