Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel 13th Gen or AMD5 for PC Build.

Options
  • 15-03-2023 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

I am in a PC-build decision dilemma.

I keep swapping between the AM5 platform (7700x or 7950x) and 13th gen (13700k or 13900k) for my new build.

I will likely pair it with a RTX 4070. Up to now all my PCs were intel but from reading different sites, the 13th Gen is 1700 pin and these m/boards could be replaced by the new Intel 14th Gen which will require a new mother board and this could be as soon as end of 2023, leaving me with no upgrade path.

While I understand the AMD5 motherboard could be around for another 2-3 years.

I intend to play games (MSFS 2020) and photo edit 50/50 time wise.

What do you think??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ryzen 7-5800X3D on AM4 is better than either for MSFS. Like, by a LOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Wouldn't the new AM5 X3D chips not be even better again? I know the 8 core isn't released yet so may have to hold out longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Not necessarily; gains from 3D V-cache are lower on DDR5 systems.

There's also cost to think about. 5800X3D + B550 motherboard + 32 GB DD4-3200 is about 550 EUR, or near-enough the rumoured price of 7800X3D. You'd be much better off putting an extra 300 EUR into a higher tier of GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Or keep the extra 300 and 2 years later, sell the old one and buy a new one. Now your system is 40-50% faster in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cornholio509

You really have to think more along the lines of you want out of the CPU . Is gaming more important ? or is productivity more important? is the upgrade path important at all ?

I am in the same boat here .my current PC is a shared system runnning 2 clients . 1 pc 2 gamers build for the the laymen here . The reason been that my kids are interested in astronomy and rockets . Since the missus wont give up any of her gaming time the kids are playing on my client . So its kerbal space program on my client , and If its dark and skys are clear . They are taking photos of the moon and planets from the telescope connected to my pc . SO i barely get any time to game on it so i can blow off some steam . That said the missus gave the go ahead for me to build a new PC for myself . So i have been debating the same thing myself . Its probably goping to be 5+ years before i can build again .

I get why the guys are saying the 5800X3d . Its a monster CPU for the price , and the AM4 platform as a whole is getting cheaper by the day . Its is so tempting to go last gen AM4 . That said intel CPUs on the high end are faster and better alround . Yes its more expensive but not by much . That said the sockets for both are end of life . If i build either of them i am stuck with no upgrade path . I had also considered intel HEDT Xeons but motherboards are €1200+ and the CPUs are made my head spin . IT would be cheaper to buy a used 64core epyc rakmount system on ebay .

So i have my mind made up on what i want . Needless to say i am going AM5 build . Its going to be years with the PC so a cpu and gpu upgrade down the road isnt off the cards . A new build will be for a while . I wont go into my choice as its not apples to apples with the ops needs .

SO to finish on this note . Ryzen 7700X Series processor do very well in Photoshop and are 22-30% faster than ryzen 5900x . It even ties with the 7900x . That said the 7950X is faster in photoshop by about another 20% . Not to mention its also faster in games . From what benchmarks i can see X3d parts do have an uplift but only a few percent . However in games they seem to trounce everything . SO i gues what system you build will have to go off what your needs are .

As for the 7800X3d i think rumors are fine but any attempt to simulate it enduced on silicon with different clock and boost speeds . We just ddont know so it maybe worth a wait and see approach . I cant see AMD pricing it close to the 7900 and 7900x cpu . It will just kill the 7800X at launch . I think it will probably be €450 euro like the 5800X3d was at launch . Again AMD could prove me wrong but i dont think AMD will kill a product by pricing it too close to faster higher core count CPUS .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CPU upgrade path is overrated IMO. Most people upgrade CPU infrequently enough that they'll need a new motherboard anyway.

Jumping on the latest stuff also doesn't future proof. I was fairly early on DDR5 and the memory that was available at the time has now been superseded by faster, cheaper stuff. Unless I can be bothered to sell my memory and buy new (which I can't) the futureproofing won't make any practical difference.

I think the appeal of futureproofing is an emotional reaction against the reality that all this stuff is all e-waste in a few years anyway.

Just buy what hits the numbers for the games you want to play now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If I gave 100 Photoshop users 10 different systems with the last 6 years of mid to high spec cpu's and I can guarantee you they couldn't tell the difference. And you could do that with most day to day PC use cases. I think gamespot did 4k "tests" in CPU gaming benchmarks for a good while but it was pretty much just the same result for each cpu until you went to the very bottom of each gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cornholio509

@Lumen

Not necessarily so . just as an example anyone who bought the X370 mmotherboards for first gen ryzen CPUs can run the last generation of 5000 series CPUs . All they would need is a bios update . Yes you might give up on some features like smart access memory for AMD gpus and AES enncrytion for windows 11 . Still it is possibly 3 years of extended life after 5 years of running the same CPU if they never upgraded .

I do get what your saying though . People have become accustomed to change motherboards and CPU every 2-3 years . That said i think that was the norm becuae intel was the only game in town for a long time . SO people were used to intel upgrade cycles and that has trickled down to almost everyone .

ALso i feel for you on the DDR5 issue . Thats said it was the same for every DDR generation and those of us who were early adopters always pay the price . i paid the price for threadripper with the machine i spoke about and . AMD dropped it for consumers after changing the socket because intel stopped their hedt line of cpus . No competition AMD has no icentive to make theose CPUs .

@Cuddlesworth

YOu are probably right on the photoshop point . That said its a mixed bag when it comes to productivity . Gaming benchmarks are simple in comparisson as FPS is all that really matters . WHen it comes to photoshop , blender , code compliling and video editing it all down to efficiency of the CPU . THat is way harder for anyone to perceive . Not to mention some programes have a bias towards intel while others are biased towards AMD .

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There's probably enough data out there about CPU performance and historical prices (see, for example https://howmuch.one/) to find the optimal strategy for a given level of year-on-year expenditure, but I suspect the answer would be obvious: don't buy stuff when it first comes out, and sell it on before it becomes obsolescent.

Advertisement