Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The All-New Late Late Show Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

More to the point on this thread did he jump ship or was he shoved. Food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

They will be looking to be politically correct and give it to a female but it's a **** enough job to be stuck doing every Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭StevenToast

👋👋👋👋

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭AllForIt

She might be asking him for some tips. I thought it odd when she suddenly gave up her political TV show last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭archfi

Great!

An opportunity for the RTE mothership to get the thinking caps on, analyse why and how LLS has turned into the definition of ultimate telly shíte under the stewardship of Tubridy and make sure the audience doesn't plummet further.

Yeah right...and pigs can fly.

Expect the next host(ess) of the LLS to be the one entitled to it by RTE's bizarre league table of 'merit' (connections/tenure etc)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Fantastic news.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Give it to John Creedon ffs.

The best man for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

He would be a natural choice, but I think he’s firmly rooted in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I would agree.... John has a good sense of humour, a wealth of knowledge and experience of Irish life and he comes across as really nice person, with genuine interest in people. He has also developed his media presence through genuine hard work, without engineering it through social media manipulation, which is a huge plus in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

John is a great bloke, who genuinely has the best taste in music I've ever heard. His radio show is great.

The only man for the job, can do everything that's required of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Heck, if I was being offered such a position/boost I think I could stretch to a return train/flight once a week.

Or.... Or they could move TLLS to Cork. Can you imagine the uproar???!!! Hosting TLLS in Cork? Would be complete confirmation of "The People's Republic/Real Capital". Jaysus/ Would be worse than when Dublin win the Football constantly. Insufferable.

Just joking folks. Just joking (Wow, P*ssing off Dublin AND Cork, grover...)

TBH, I haven't watched TLLS apart from the Toy Show in years upon years. I mean even before Tubs. I gave up on Pat the Plank (Good journalist, terrible host). Creedon would be a good call alright. Sort of a middle ground between Tubs and Kenny

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Happy he is gone but he wasn't the sole reason why ratings declined. He was the primary reason why I stopped watching but there are other issues.

They can't continue to try and be a poor man's Graham Norton. Even Graham Norton isn't that interesting anymore since they went more for big name guests rather than interesting guests.

With the likes of Joe Rogan being so successful, it should be an eye opener for them to believe that the interesting guest is far superior to the well know guest. I couldn't give a hoot about your new film. I want them talk and get to know interesting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭maebee

RTE should, but won't, take the obvious option and just end the LLS.

A touch of Gaybo about him in sense of interest and inquisitiveness, doing his research, enjoying the craic, music and all the good stuff, and would probably be sensitive enough without being ghoulish during the misery slots, looking on the genuine positives in the person’s life. Could be good with the Toy Show, I’d say he would bring it more back to old traditions with Santa Claus making an appearance, and a Christmas tree or two to be seen, would pose as a sort of Grandad figure with lots of helpers and not make it about himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wonder did he try to pull the usual "if you don't give me an increase in fees I'm going to BBC/CBS as they have been in touch" spiel at contract negotiations and RTE told him where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Some very wacky suggestions here. No way will Creedon get it. He's a bit too stale male and pale. That would be a very retrograde step. Tommy Tiernan is out after his disgraceful racism.

Joe Rogan...jaysus. yes get some covid deniers and extreme right wing nut jobs on to talk for 6 hours about drugs. lol.

I'd like to see someone Who can appeal to young audiences and bring a fresh perspective. Someone like Emma Dabiri, Lottie Ryan or Ruth Negga, and make it relevant to people under the age of 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It must be fun to make stuff up in your head and then go around telling people about it, like it actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm having my fun, that's all that matters 😂.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

Much as my apathy towards Tubridy is, I actually think he's better than Norton. All the latter does is assemble a starry bunch of guests and ask them bland and superficial questions, complete with timed and canned laughter. No depth to it whatsoever.

In reality, I think the LLS was Gay Byrne. It was his creation and winning formula, consisting of serious and more light-hearted chat, interspersed with entertainment. All subsequent iterations were just a reflection of the hosts themselves and were just another interview vehicle for people. If anything, Tommy Tiernan has come closest to emulating Gaybo in broadcasting terms IMO.

I’ll be sorry to see Ryan go and the truth is I thought he had another 20 years left in him.

I’m a little bit conservative when it comes to the LLS: I think the so-called “misery slot” is actually the best part of the programme. It serves to shine a beacon on the infirm members of the public who are too easily ignored by the big men in power.

As for the host? Sarah McInerney would be a good shout provided she takes lessons to sand off the edges of her West Galway accent.

I think that people from that part of the world have a tendency to soften the letter T to the point of whistling, and the pronunciation of TH lands with the dead thud of a hard kick to their beloved dinghies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭SteM

Lottie Ryan, WTF 🤣

What has she ever done to get the LLS job? You might as well go down to Dundrum Shopping center and start asking young wans if they'd like a presenting job.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,546 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

She presented one episode of Dancing with the Stars and does a podcast about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

I’d say the last people that RTE would consider doing a straw poll on to see who should be the next presenter are the sort of men who sit down to watch it religiously on a Friday so they can complain about it on Twitter. You know the sort - bald or balding, overweight, usually have “plain speaking” or “against woke nonsense” in their profile, and who like Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson videos.

Lottie’s actually younger than Gay was when he started, and far more experienced in front of the camera.

Though I’m not sure about Lottie in particular, I do think that the new host should be very young, and very non-straight-whyte-male. The latter to end the stale, pale, and male monopoly that’s been in place since 1962, and the former to instil a sense of continuity in the new host’s tenure.

I firmly believe that the host of the Late Late Show holds a certain gravitas, a sort of somewhat regal, secular bishop’s place in the firmament of Irish culture.

Gay Byrne wasn’t just Gay, he was “Uncle Gaybo.” The silver haired uncle of the nation, who would even give people presents and host the Republic’s Christmas party.

I was prepared for that role to be filled by Ryan but now I think they need to get a young woman to be coronated, if you will, and sit in The Big Chair for the next 30-40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭SteM

How much experience could Gaybo be expected to have in front of the camera back in the early 60s?

Did he get a leg up in RTE because his father was a focus presenter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Jesus...we will have the dragged out long goodbye now until he goes at the end of May....

Why not just go now?....do us all a favour....

...Tubridy will be stroking himself dreaming of Bono showing up on his last show to present him with a motorbike.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Advertisement