Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honesty box veg and potatoes

Options
  • 16-03-2023 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Does anyone know of anybody doing it .was thinking of doing .i know every body is going to say robberies just looking for ideas.anybody that i can lookup on facebook or Instagram or whatever.what s everybody take on it here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

There is a spud farmer near me doing it, he has a vending machine at the gate, you put your money in coins in and then a wee door opens and you get your bag of spuds. He is happy with it was telling me one day he is moving a a few tonne a week through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A good few around here doing it in a small way, eggs honey, cakes and spuds, it seems to be alright

• Registered Users Posts: 41 westeast

Great idea do you buy are they washed rooster or not washed rooster or what size bag or price.😃👍

Last time I was there they were €9 a bag, (it only takes €1,€2 & 50 cent coins) they were "good" 10kg bags of washed roosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

???

So cigarette vending machines were honesty boxes?

• Advertisement

@Slightly Kwackers no, I was just stating the way a lad beside me is selling his produce at his gate, it works for him, and feel people like to buy direct from him, I know I do.

Yes I know, but couldn't resist :-)

I was interested in the topic as I have quackers and chickens. Currently I have the occasional egg myself, feed the dog with about a dozen or so during the week and give the rest to neighbours. I do start to get the odd hint though when they start telling me they have passed on my last "gift" to a third party. Additionally although Pooch's coat has a wonderful sheen, it has to cover a much larger surface area than it once did :-(

I might leave some down by the road, but I guess I would have to invest in a postbox for the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you can't find anyone locally that will regularly buy fresh eggs from you you must be living in an area full of fast food philistines.

We'd have no problem selling 10 times the amount our hens produce. Fresh eggs are just sooooo good compared to shop bought.

Anyone that does baking would probably love a few fresh duck eggs they are perfect for really good fluffy cakes.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Thank you!

Yes they seem popular, but with ten ducks and four chickens the popularity has limits.

I will pick up a post box at Screwfix, I have a cool box from my fishing days, so I'll give it a go.

I live in a rural area and know few neighbours really, in addition the ducks are pets.

Thanks. I find your words encouraging and if the idea doesn't take off the postman will have a safer delivery experience as the bend the gate is on makes pulling out difficult.

@Slightly Kwackers for work I drive nearly every county in Ireland, in the more rural areas and the lessor roads (R roads) you will often see a table with a plastic box on it selling eggs and the likes, the cash box is usually locked up some way or another. Then i guess you are just working on the basis that majority of people are honest and will pay for what they get. Plus anything you collect is better than producing it and getting nothing from if. But if the cash box was not secured then I would guess it would go missing fairly quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Ask around who does good baking. The ducks eggs have to be fresh to be really good (plus safe) and they are much appreciated by cake makers. Cake for eggs would be a good deal as long as you don't end up like your dog :-)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 westeast

I am told they only sell one product at time because the door opens from 1 upwards each time you put money in is this true

Yes thanks.

I will fasten it to the gate. People on the whole seem fairly honest so I have little to lose.

I hate the waste of food people would be able to use anyway. I still discover plant pots full of eggs from last year. I buried a lot as fertilizer, but even at that had a lot left as I am reluctant to use them in the greenhouses.

The only problem regarding eggs I suppose might be trick or treaters and I am on a direct route from the pub to a couple of caravan parks :-)

Advertisement