Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Did anyone stay around yesterday for the minor challenge after the senior? What kind of team have the minor this year? I see a few munster teams have released their u20 panel. We're out in a few weeks. We should have a chunk of the kierans team who will be in croke Park Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

A win for us in the league match v Waterford will give us a semi final v Cork.

The team i would like to see if the injured lads are available bar Mullen and TJ;

Murphy

Butler

Lawlor

T Walsh

Blanchfield

Reid

P Walsh

P Mullen

R Corcoran/C Kenny

B Ryan

Donnelly

Deegan

Drenan

Mossy

E Cody

Dont think Lyng will start corcoran so maybe Kenny or have Fogarty in his place but hopefully Blanchfield will get the nod and ditto butler and Lawlor if fit.

If R Hogan is fit then he needs at least 20 mins v Waterford. Otherwise theres no point in him having him on the panel. Would like to see Gearoid Dunne getting 20 mins as well. Not sure how Buckley is after the weekend but Lyng seems to like him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Well as an old ASR boy, it is about 25 miles from Kilmallock to ASR. But as the school is out the Ennis Road and you have to go through the city it may take the most of 50 minutes to travel it, especially during rush hour. I went there in 1967 and then CBS were the main hurling school in the City. They had just four in a row Hartys and two All Irelands, in the previous four years. Now there is no hurling there, which shows how hurling has absolutely died in the center of the city. Clubs like Claughaun, Old Christians, Treaty Sarsfields have all but disappeared, or are barely surviving.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Guillane nearly always tries to kick the ball after, as he clearly did v KK in '18 and last year, which is not a breach of the rule

Old Greasy Paw, was orphaned young and grew up a very independent Buachill. Even at 73 I still generally cook the dinner. Some of ye young crowd are far too pampered and that applies to those young bucks from my own county as well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Contrary to rumours, Conor Heary is still on the senior hurling panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Disappointed to see that the Kierans match is not on TG4 on Friday. Instead there's women's football. Now who is going to watch that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

To drop the hurl intentionally is a foul, doesn't matter a bit about kicking the ball afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think it's on TG4 Sport YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I’d be interested in finding out about the minor challenge against Limerick on Sunday. I do know the U20’s bet Limerick in a challenge on Saturday in Dunmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

They lost 2-15 to 17. That's all I know

Croke Cup senior hurling final

St Kieran’s (Kilkenny) v Presentation Athenry (Galway), Croke Park, 3pm - TG4 YouTube channel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

In fairness the schools finals wouldn't get much viewers either outside of the participating counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I also heard Wexford beat Cork in a U20 challenge at the weekend,so Wexford certainly won’t be a pushover in that competition. Disappointing to hear the minor team lost,we really need to be showing something at this level after last years debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

So many minor and u20 matches over next 6-8 weeks, hopefully someone will step forward with coverage.

U20s will be serious contenders and their likely inevitable clash with Galway will go a long way in deciding AI.

Dont know much about minors but Ed Mc Dermott would be a massive loss to them if he is injured (he was out for Kierans).

Busy few weeks coming up is right and its great for us supporters. I don't know much about the minor but last year was certainly a huge disappointment.Alot of the best Laois and offally players are overage this year I think.Hopefully bergin and his management team would of learned alot from last years disaster.

Alot of eyes will be on the u20s and the players will want to prove last year wasnt a fluke. Theres no doubt we got the breaks and luck along the way but they still had to win these matches. Last year is in the past now.Preparation with the full group probably hasn't being ideal with kierans again involved in the final friday and Clifford,Rowe,drennan and dunne with the seniors have done little or nothing with the 20s. They're getting great exposure with the seniors which is great.ive said it here already that when push comes to shove the u20s will have their full compliment although drennan will make it very hard if he continues the way he's going. It will be hard but they'll manage something. The u20s start before the senior and the senior have Westmeath first so he'll play the first few u20s anyway. Lyng managed the u20s last year so he will know how important it is to get a bit success at that level.Cathal beirne,bill Hughes and Harry shine are back from injury which will be a big help.Paddy Langton has recovered from injury. Hopefully denis Walsh will be ready. Theres definitely no guarantees we will be as successful as last year. We kind of slipped in under the radar last year. Wexford will be decent again and galway will be very good.

I think lyng will trust what he has at senior for the early stages anyway. Tj and mullen could come into the attack.Realistically the two big matches we have In leinster are galway at home and Wexford away.Sunday could be our last match before the championship so I would like to see our team taking shape. I would like to see Corcoran and blanchfield getting a run out on the half back line.paddy mullen has done nothing wrong in the few matches but the last few teams have being poor so we haven't learned much about players so that's why it would be good to win sunday and get a home game against cork and then possibly a league final against limerick if we won that.That would be great preparation heading into the championship.We are slowly getting better with the short game. Our puckouts and movement will hopefully be worked hard on over the next few months.

We haven't mentioned David herity here who's doing a fantastic job with Kildare. I really liked listening to him anytime I heard him talk. I'd really like to see him involved with kk at some stage but I'd be suprised if a few bigger teams don't come after him over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"We haven't mentioned David herity here who's doing a fantastic job with Kildare. I really liked listening to him anytime I heard him talk. I'd really like to see him involved with kk at some stage but I'd be suprised if a few bigger teams don't come after him over the next few years."

Would he be ahead of Shefflin now in line for the throne ?

Shefflin needs to have a better run with Galway this year surely ? Is that /will that harm his chance of the KK job in the future?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

I think we've moved on from Shefflin at this stage with regards to ever to him being the senior manager. Plenty of others have showing their desire to help out with various Kilkenny teams. Hopefully D Lyng gets his deserved rewards for being so willing to take over the hot seat from B Cody. I'd also commend former greats like P Barry, M Rice and JJ Delaney for throwing in their lot for the good of Kilkenny hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

So was the furore over Shefflin going to Galwaya bit stupid then?

Were people upset that he took the job, or that the Co board wouldnt get rid of cody to allow shefflin take over?

Looking at Galway since (and even when he was with t'town) Henry isnt exactly doing very well?

So would the people that were criticizing the Co board for not appointing Henry at the time, think the Co board seem to be right ? Or is it still too early?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

Are people really putting all blame on Henry during his time with Ttown when you see their record over last number of years?? To me I had Glenmore as favourites to win Intermediate that year as I'm from a neighbouring club and could visibly see and hear what was going on that Declan Wall had such an impact with them.

Anyway Bit harsh if your judging Henry on that. The current Shamrocks success was started by him and he took over the team when there was issues off the field with the club but steered everyone together in the one direction and they have hardly looked back since.

Lyng had 2 very poor terms with u20's in his 1st 2 years although it was covid disruptive but it was same for all teams too.

I would hold Judgement on Henry until we see how his term ends in Galway as ultimately it will all come down to knockout championship, yes they don't have much strength in depth it seems at the moment but time will tell on this. I thought he got all he could out of them in that Limerick semi final personally last year but Henry doesn't do moral victories and he defines meaningful Silverware as success.

Things were fairly sour when Henry declined to go with Cody with the view to take it on himself the following year. By all accounts cody told henry he was finishing up and wanted him to take it over.Henry declined and went to galway for the big money and fair play to him. I know Liam Cahill declined Tipp last year and all was forgiven this year but I'd say with the click that's in the county board Henry is down the pecking order after what went on. I'd even say herity or Eddie wouldn't be top of their list because they're not afraid to criticize.

We're all obviously behind lyng and from talking to a few players things are enjoyable and fresh. He's straight like Cody and he even talks like Cody in the interviews.Fair play to him for taking the job and the county board have rightly backed him with resources.We all hope it goes well. He seems a really sound fella.

By all accounts D Lyng is very good at communicating with the players. Some seemed to have lost confidence in recent years but are back in form so far under Lyng. All the more reason that no player, young or old, should be ruled out. Let's see what all the players on the panel can do during the coming year.

That's great to hear on Lyng. I think Cody's coldness and coolness with players had run its course as a managerial strategy. Great managers go though phases and Cody's style worked brilliantly but is now likely to dissappear.

I think it also assuages concerns that Lyng would try to be a Cody clone.

Good Luck to Kieran's tomorrow, this should be a high-quality match. There is also bad blood between the two schools as Kieran’s feel hard done by, forced into losing a replay 3 years ago in U16 final after winning the first day, but being pinned for playing a sub too many in closing seconds of extra time. 3 or 4 from each team playing tomorrow.

Interesting one, given what I feel were the lousy accusations aimed at Kieran’s by some earlier. I had a look at Athenry's team from semi. Just one player from Athenry. And at a quick glance the other 14 players make journeys between 10 and 30 mins to attend. 13 of the squad come fromClarinbridge, a 20 min drive over poor roads, when they could easily scoot up to Oranmore in 5 mins on the main Galway road.

But hey, Kieran’s yeh!

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

Funny how you think that second paragraph is a killer riposte. In fact it just further amplifies the point that at All Ireland level 'local' schools will continue to be squeezed out by schools that don't do regular catchment areas.

And......"lousy accusations", are you having a laugh? It is simply a statement of fact that St Kieran's has 20 odd clubs represented on their panel whereas their opponents the last day appear to have had a panel from about five clubs more or less contiguous to town where the school is. The same could be said of last year's Harty Cup winners. These are simply observable facts. They are not "accusations" not to mind "lousy" ones. Reality being unpalatable doesn't stop it being reality.

Yep, good luck to St Kierans and sod the begrudgers.

For the second year in a row Kieran's will face a team in an All-Ireland final who actually have a starting 15 with a wider geographical reach than Kieran's. That's an unpalatable fact, your accusation that Kieran's are essentially cheating and destroying the competition by harvesting players from 15-20 miles away isn't, it's just baseless bitterness.

Up till 30 years ago, diocesan boarding schools dominated the competition, and the spread of winners was actually narrower than it has been for the last 30 years. Your problem is that unlike the other diocesan schools/colleges, who all fell away, Kieran’s became even more successful when the advantage of having most of your players in school 7 days a week ended.

The bloody cheek of them.

• Advertisement

• Amazing

Advertisement