Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picard 3x05- 'Imposters' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 16-03-2023 7:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Picard 3x05- 'Imposters' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭eadrom

Another good episode. Kinda wish they did more with Ro to be honest, the performance seemed a little stiff or something. But good to see her anyway.

Loving this season anyway. Both for what it is itself (decent story, a chance to see the TNG crew one last time) and for building what looks like, I hope, a place we can stay and have some new Star Trek adventures after this series wraps. Like really, just role on into Star Trek: Titan. I hope Shaw sticks around for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Holy **** Ro Laren been a long while. Great to have her back.....

Another great episode. Seems Starfleet is overrun with rebel Changelings. And blood tests are now useless? Changelings are sneaky.

Wonder if that venting gave Picard some therapeutic well-being.

Raffi is still annoying. She is the Neelix of this show.

Wonder whats going on with Jack. The red door reminds me of the Haunting of Hill House.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,393 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that was a lovely surprise with Ro Laren back. Good episode so far. Have only half watched it. Will watch the rest later. Busy day for me today.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A solid episode again, but again the core plot makes very little progress.

I can't help but wonder if that Jack Crusher turns out to be fake, it'll undermine the whole premise of the season of Picard and his son/legacy or lack thereof.

I had known Ro Laren would appear, but I didn't think they'd off her like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

@Spear Thanks for your headsup earlier about Ro, I realy enjoyed that coming out of nowhere! Great to see her back, and honestly a pretty decent send off, I actually found it quite emotional, even though she was only in a few episodes of TNG they were all pretty solid, thought I would have liked perhaps a bit more interaction between Ro and Riker. From memory they were far more antagonistic to one another.

Halfway through the season and I'm having a ball. Shaw is just so good. Initially in the first few moments I thought he was still a bit high from the pain meds, but no, he's just a really snarkey prick! That reinstated part was hilarious!

Raffi, no. She's not a warrior. She's a Neelix.

I was going to start speculating about the device used to access Daystrom, but I kind of don't want to. I'm really enjoying where they're bringing us at the moment and happy enough to go along with it. I think the Red Letter Media guys said something similar in their most recent review, that in previous seasons of Picard and Discovery all we had was speculation because the story was crap, but the story here is quite solid and now it's fun to go along with them as they air.

Also the Intrepid looked like dogshit from the side. Front view, grand, side view, awful, just awful. Probably my major gripe at this stage is how awful that ship looked. It somewhat reminds me of those completely bonkers 80's futurism style furnishings in TNG, like Worfs mad looking chair/bird perch.

Which apparently also appeared in Friends as I found when looking for an image!

Still holding out for some nubbin bugs before this season is through.

Maybe the nubbin bugs were inside you all along?

Oh wait, course they were!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,707 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That was a great episode, thank god not too much Raffi - even worth an immediate rewatch

Like above the key is probably that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭corkie

Another enjoyable episode. Glad they are starting to get the crew established.

Yet to see Geordi La Forge (LeVar Burton)? Who else from this spoiler list?

The list of returning Star Trek: The Next Generation characters includes Worf (Michale Dorn), Will Riker (Jonathan Frakes), Deanna Troi (Marina Sirtis), Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar) << ??? <<, Beverly Crusher (Gates McFadden), Brent Spiner (returning as Data's evil "brother" Lore) and Geordi La Forge (LeVar Burton). https://comicbook.com/startrek/news/star-trek-picard-final-season-3-geordi-la-forge-new-rank-commodore-starfleet/

How did shaw known about below when it occurred in an alternate timeline?

or when they nearly wiped out all of humanity with a time paradox in the Devron system, remarking on a "real chicken-and-egg thing happening" when it came to rescues from danger. "Those were the days," Picard says wistfully.

From the history books? It’s believable that Picard’s experience has been documented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I suppose they didn't want to waste the money they spent on the sets, including recycling last season's Ten Forward, so kept the Titan for longer.

Do none of these phasers have stun? And I'm pretty sure they didn't let out a bang when fired before.

Why couldn't Rafi have been the one to take the dive, with it going wrong in the process.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

At least one does it looks like. When Jack takes the phaser from the changeling, he resets something on it, and then uses it to kill.

One thing I didn’t like was Picard and Riker’s apparent surprise that Ro even still existed, let alone was back in Starfleet.

Picard in particular. Even if he wasn’t in the loop officially, 20+ years is a long time not to be looking someone up on Facefleet or whatever they got.

Bit of clunky plotting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭geecee

At first I thought she was Admiral Cain reincarnated, now that would have been a good crossover!

Interesting also to see another 12 monkeys crossover:

Despite not being on the official credits, that was surely Kirk Acevedo (aka Ramse) playing the Vulcan Krinn, who grew up with Sneed (aka  James Cole) on the tough streets of district 7 (aka West 7)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gah damn. Michelle Forbes. What an absolute legend. Can't believe we've lost Ro Laren like that 😞 Absolute legend.

Yeah yeah, Worf funny moment... Jack Crusher.. Jason Bourne .. the Crusher Identity sure

but Ro 🙁

Fuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I haven’t read any posts but how are people watching this? It’s not coming up on my account.

It is release a day later on Amazon/Paramount+ for UK/Europe.

Some people have sailed the high seas to watch it today.

@Drumpot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Acosta

Really good stuff between Michelle Forbes and Patrick Stewart. It packed a punch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Evade

I enjoyed that. The plot has definitely been padded to last 10 episodes but the filler isn't awful. Five episodes in and no sign of **** itself yet.

I hope the reason the Changlings are doing this at least makes sense, they would have to have a pretty good reason to leave the link. Why are there no J'em Hadar? Production wise it would have been a spoiler but the masked aliens on Vadec's ship could have been them instead of what the subtitles called them.

Nice to see Ro back briefly and as a note to future me and anyone else don't look up ships on MA while the episode is still on the article will have spoilers.

With Ro back for an episode and Lore and Moriarty due at some point what are the chances that Barclay works at Daystrom now? Or that Ogawa or Mot will have an appearance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Don't like that Raffi subplot stuff on the planet. Gangster Vulcans, cringe. All the Titan stuff has been great so far though. Kind of a pity Picard has to bring back loved characters only to kill them off. It was nice to see some closure to Ro's betrayal of Picard at the end of TNG.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Unfortunately the very fact of my putting this in writing may jinx it but Season 3 is turning out quite good....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Another great episode. A part of me wishes that Ro would somehow survive; that a random non changeling officer on the Intrepid had beamed her in just before the end.

I just hope the writers see the success of this season and see that Proper 25th Century Trek minus Raffi, Jurati and Elnor is a route to success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Have to say I'm pleasantly surprised if not shocked at how much better this is than the previous seasons with E5 being the best so far. I thought I'd hold off on saying so in case it went downhill after E2 but it hasn't.

I dig the updated look of Beverly, I was saying here only recently that I never cared for Beverly in TNG party due to the way see looked with that massive head of red hair in combo with that bright blue gown thing she wore. Just never looked appropriate for the setting.

I'm not sure why they changed the theme tune back to older series/movies, I thought it was quite nice as it was.

As much as one would prefer Raffi was written out I think I'm happy enough that Rios and Elnor no longer feature, although that was known by the end of S2 I think. She's not been quite as irritating as in S2.

As for E5 I don't have a great memory of Ro, for a moment I thought it was Seska from Voyager when they were talking about the Maquis who was a great character in some of the best episodes of Voyager, imo.

Hope Discovery final season surprises us a well, doubtful though.

@AllForIt

Why did Michelle Forbes turn down Deep Space Nine?

Forbes was later approached to reprise the character of Ro on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, but she declined because she did not want a regular television role at the time; Nana Visitor's role of Kira Nerys was scripted as a replacement. Forbes was also offered the chance to return on Star Trek: Voyager, but again turned it down.

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Anyone else think the changlings "evolution" is down to the virus they gave the founders in season 7 of DS9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Intrepid (yawn another memberberry name) was a TMP era design just like Titan-A and designed by the same guy Bill Krause. We never get actual new ships in this show.

Also the Bladerunner planet, 10 Forward, corridor sets are getting ridiculously obviously overused.

Great to see Ro. Was one of my favourite TNG characters so sad to see they killed her so quickly.

Jacks story and Stranger Things dreams are boring the shte out of me though. The changelings are enough of a mystery plot why do we need this stupid other mystery box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,154 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The pacing is a bit weird too... we're halfway through, but it feels like we're only just barely stepping into the actual story now. They've not left themselves a lot of time to actually properly deal with the whole story of the changelings infiltrating Starfleet, and the whole organisation being compromised... this is kind of the problem with these massive scale stories - they're gonna have to just shovel narrative at us for the next 5 episodes if they want to explain everything and finish the story. Smaller stories give you so much more room to breath, and explore the characters (which they've done reasonably well up to now).

Beverly's initial message is kind of annoying me now... feels like a hat on a hat. Her first message was all "don't tell anyone, trust no-one", but she doesn't seem to have known anything about any of this, and didn't seem to have any misgivings about Starfleet - she just didn't want her criminal son arrested. But now, after that, it's like "Ooooh, but now REALLY trust no one!". There was just no need for that first message to be so cryptic, when it totally undercuts everything that comes later. She could just as easily have said "delicate situation - come alone", and then the infiltrated Starfleet thing comes as a bit of a surprise, instead of something Picard and Riker were already talking about in episode 1 purely based on her message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Is it snow or what's all the fluffy stuff in the air on Bladerunner Prime

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

There was a USS Intrepid in the US Navy so it has a real history but they should mix it up a bit and bring recycle the Hood or Crazyhorse. Or bring in a Saratoga only for it to be heavily damaged almost immediately.

A bit of plot convenience maybe but didn’t Crusher explain that they were attacked by starfleet? They didn’t know why, only that they weren’t to be trusted.

• Advertisement

More likely they just got a lot more sophisticated at mimicking human insides since they knew humans were doing more tests. They already showed that the Great Link had the capacity to do so when they turned Odo into a solid.

That's a really good point. It might explain how the got around blood screenings in DS9 since Starfleet reference for shape-shifting ability wasn't very good at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,154 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

She gives sort of a nebulous "wherever we go, people seem to be trying to get Jack" rather than any specific thing of being attacked by starfleet. It's not a huge deal, but it just tips off a surprise a few episodes too early for no useful reason.. her messaging could just as easily been for him to keep it quiet, rather than the dramatic 'dont trust starfleet' way it was dealt with. That message led to Picard and Riker actively talking about Starfleet being compromised far earlier than was good for the story. Would have been stronger if that sort of idea was held back until just now so it could land with more weight.

The broad mechanics have been decent this season thankfully, but the writing of the details still often feels very shonky and half thought out. Like they threw down some placeholders, and then never went back to fix them (like the immense coincidence of Raffi somehow being involved in this whole same story as well, coming from a completely different direction).

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Very good episode. Hopefully they won't hit the same sort of midseason "wheel spinning" slump they had in the other 2 seasons. The overall story is making progress even though it's still small degrees. Great to see Ro back and I was sorry to see her removed so soon but at least it actually felt like part of the story in comparison to Hugh/Icheb's deaths which felt purely for shock value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Weren't the jem hadar weaned off the drug they were on and a substitute non addictive version given by star fleet and with it their dependence on the changelings.

That only happened in Star Trek Online, not in canon works afaik.

Maybe in a book or something but I don't think they have ever been referenced in an actual post war show.

As others have said that didn't happen in screen canon. The Jem'Hadar aren't addicted to the white either it's physiological need like food or water because the Founders created them to be reliant in it.

It will probably become canon so like every single ugly fekin ship in that game.

Was watching DS9 this morning and was thinking its going take all day phaser sweeping rooms for changelings now that they have switched to blasters.

Gonna wreck the rooms too with those overpowered disintegrators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭squonk

Is the Intrepid a new class of ship in this? I was expecting a Voyager type of ship but it looks like that era ship has been retired. Funny though I think the intrepid class (a la Voyager) looked a bit better than the ship replacing it. More modern even. I also would expect the voyager era type to be still in service. 30 years isn’t very long really.

I quite like the Titan and Intrepid. They don’t seem particularly special but decent looking ships all the same.

but they’d probably feel more at home in Strange New Worlds than the Post-Voyager era?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah that’s my point. They’re more like successors to the tos era excelsior and constitution classes than what you’d expect post sovereign and intrepid class designs to look like. I’m not really complaining but they’re but what I’d expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This Intrepid is a Duderstadt-Class starship, coming some 33 years after the close of the Voyager series and the time of the eponymous Intrepid-class ship of that story. So we know its at least a class, or maybe two classes newer.

It is, in fact, the fifth USS Intrepid of the Star Trek canon. And the USS Titan is probably at least the second of its name.

Its a pity the producers don't follow the registry convention of the Enterprise by following the A,B,C sub-registry for ships of the same name, but then when you think about it, Enterprise is an anomaly. In contemporary Naval nomenclature, you would often see successor ships of famous names across many navies, but there is no connection to the registries.

For example, the Ford-Class carrier USS Enterprise currently under construction in America will be CVN-80. She will be the ninth Enterprise of the US Navy and her predecessor was the Enterprise CVA(N)-65.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Was it just me or did they just draw the Bajoran nose ridges onto Michelle Forbes's face rather than get a prosthetic.

Always assumed she died in the Maquis war. Guess she's dead now. (or is she🤔)

• Advertisement
Advertisement