Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I will be offline again for some period, but I wanted to make a few comments/opinions, in a short thread:

1. On the upcoming "spring offensive". What offensive? There will very likely not be one by then, sorry. This hallucination exists mainly in media and twitter. 

2. The currently pledged (insufficient) battalions will barely be ready by May (at earliest), not to mention it is a mess of barely compatible systems. Everything else pledged drags years deep, into 2024/2025. This also assumes no "fading pledges" and bullshit promises. 

3. Russians have immense reserves and prepared positions, of which are yet to be tested, and are built in great depth. Even 2-3 western mechanized brigades is not enough to "turn the tide" - for this it's needed 5x more, at minimum. 

4. Offensive actions don't happen in a vacuum, you need primary and supporting offensives, etc. There is no "rush" into a narrow pocket towards Melitopol... The enemy can quickly react to such nonsense. 

5. Ammunition is a much bigger problem for the ZSU than for RU. Much of the RU "shell hunger" narrative is simply used to explain away their slow progress, but for us, it's a severe issue. 

6. RU will likely lose offensive potential in June/July, and will revert to defensive postures, while attempting to regnerate force as before. I have mention I think they will eventually mobilize 1.2mil inside UA. This is not ending soon. 

7. It's very possible for the war to last many years of oscillating defensive/offensive lulls, before ending as suddenly as it started in 2014. Any predictions past a few months is futile, including association football analogies... 

8. High risk "surprises" like forcing the Dnipro are not impossible (among other things), unlike believed widely. How effective they would be, is another question. 

9. Expect important news in Bakhmut soon. 

Food for thought, that will go down like a lead balloon here.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

“9. Expect important news in Bakhmut soon.”

LOL we’ve been told this for the last 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That's if putin doesn't have him thrown out of an aircraft first

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I remember you posted similar articles from earlier in the year, similar theme things are bad , losses are bad , unnamed sources,

And yet we see videos daily on the front lines in bakhmut showing the complete opposite,the Russians have been stopped in bakhmut, Vuhledar, kreminna,

But yet we keep hearing the same opinions,

Hopefully kupol spends a lot of time shovelling **** for the next few months, lesson to be learned

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't think you make it as long as Putin has as leader of Russia if you're not a master of internal political intrigue. I'm sure he's noted Priogozhin's attempts to gain influence and already has a plan to deal with him if that comes to a head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I think there's something brewing with Prigozhin. I'd say the ukrainians sense that too. If they allow Prigozhin claim victory in Bakhmut he'll be more on his way for the crown. Prigozhin won't have the regal touch (posted in a way that Putin is still a mass murdering genocidal dictator) about him but be more blunt and more pressing in his threats. Prigozhin recording that clip means he thinks he's now untouchable. He's gone beyond and out the other side of the few Putin supporters posting sh1t posts about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Is there no points there that you question at all? Do you have no critical thinking yourself?

Just find someone on Twitter than agrees with your narrative and post it here.

Russia has immense reserves.... Of what specifically? We have seen Russia being tested, you remember Kherson and specifically Kharkiv?

There's been 1 spring offensive this year and it fizzled out like a fart in the wind, that was the Russian one. I'd be shocked if Ukraine's went that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

USAF B-52 flight Noble 61 on a late night flight past Kaliningrad down the Baltic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

When's the last time Prigozhin has been in Russia? Every time I have seen footage of him recently he's been in Ukraine. I wonder does he think he'd be in danger if he went to Moscow. He might think that his only hope is that he can capture Bakhmut which might give him some kind of immunity from literal defenestration.

Just playing the timeline for this month around Bakhmut on the Deepstate map and it looks like all of the buffer space surrounding the city centre have been eaten up by the Russians. From here on in it's going to be street fighting urban warfare. Denys Davydov, who's generally pretty optimistic in his videos, was saying yesterday that the Ukrainians should probably give it up at this stage. Judging by the noises from the top though it doesn't sound like they're going to.

The man knows how to work the cameras and rise emotions in people. By proposing business men pick up the tab for the families he's playing on the communist history group think distain of capitalist private business. The "common" people would be hugely in favour of this. Or should in his mind.

Except the things going against this stunt is there's no personal proposal to look after the families from Wagner funds. And the tags shown are all blank for camera.

Must have been one hell of an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

It's always the same with the pro orc faction on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Fair play to the reporter. There's definitely a non-zero chance that they get killed or injured doing a report like this.

I've seen Orla Guerin and Lindsey Hilsum put themselves in similar danger on the front lines in the past few months. It definitely takes courage, considering unlike the soldiers, it's not their country that they're fighting for there - they're just doing a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

If you watch carefully the Ukrainian front-line are telling you, they are tired, they are taking major casualties and they are really short of ammunition and cannot contain the Russians for much longer. While all the attention is on Bakhmut the front is likely to be be pierced in several places in short order, expect ebb and flow in war.

Battle of Bakhmut: Ukrainian soldiers worry Russians begin to ‘taste victory’

Valeriy, a Ukrainian infantryman, says that most of his fallen comrades were fatally wounded by projectile fragments.

"It's a pity that probably 90% of our losses are from artillery – or tanks and aviation," Valeriy told the Kyiv Independent a few hours after leaving the Bakhmut front. "And much less (casualties) from shooting battles."

Valeriy counted that "only a few" of the original 27 members of his platoon got out of the Bakhmut front with him, though he explained that most of them were wounded, not killed.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

I think we may be overhyping Prigozhin a little bit, in real terms. It may be a good thing to do in order to make Putin sweat and cause some internal discord to further hamper the Russian war effort, and I fully support that, but on the down-low, if Bakhmut were to give Prigozhin all this prestige, whoever the guy in charge of the Russian forces was when Sievierodonetsk was taken last year would surely get even more brownie points. If we're keeping score in that way, seven months to take Bakhmut with militarily unsustainable tactics isn't really that impressive. By comparison, the Russian shelling campaign of Summer 2022 seems almost deft and subtle and probably took more net territory and larger settlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I've no doubt the front line around Bakhmut is horrific however that's not representative of the entire front line. I haven't read of anywhere else that Russia looks to be potentially piercing through.... Vuhledar maybe?

We and indeed soliders on the front line, especially Bakhmut have no clue of the overall picture.

We've seen the same from the last attritional battle, Severodonetsk. People were suggesting when Russia take that, the entire Ukranian frontline would collapse.

The world is all about publicity and prestige. The man is as vain as Putin. Not vain as in golden palaces and designer clothes. But vain as in being seen to be the common people and getting things done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

A lot of reports lately from Ukraine describing critical ammo shortages and how many of their best soldier's are dead. And how they won't have the resources to conduct a large counter offensive.

I'm hoping this is tactical from Ukraine to give the false impression they are weak before launching more big attacks.

When does the mud season end?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Facing an acute “shell hunger” on the battlefield, Russia is attempting to procure ammunition and military equipment in Myanmar and across African and Middle Eastern countries, Ukrainian Defense Intelligence spokesman Vadym Skibitsky told Ukrainian TV broadcasters on March 16.

Yeah, certainly food for thought.

How is spending the better part of a year attempting to take *one* town "getting things done"? If someone goes into their job and spends seven months on a report that isn't worth that much work, they're probably not getting that promotion.

The counter argument to this goes "something, something Russian mindset" and I agree that Russians do appear to have a fetish for grinding attrition warfare, but there's no way to get around the unsustainability of throwing tens of thousands of men at one town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Advertisement

The pro orc group on here are pushing that narrative.

Strange how no one in Ukraine seems to agree with it. Everyone there seems quietly confident with how things are going.

It's clear that preparations are underway for the Ukrainian counteroffensive. It will be on their terms, not yours, not mine, and not any pro orcs on here.

If the head of one orc faction is complaining about an "ammunition famine", his words, not mine! You can be sure there's one side here that's in deep trouble.

But it's not him killing tens of thousands of Russian fighters (well it is), it's Ukraine and the war. He'll portray it as it's just the way it is and he'll sacrifice whatever needs be to finish the job. (Not his own life of course). When job is achieved, it's achieved.

When he's courting this much publicity and demanding more now he must feel like his tail is up with Bahkmut now and thinking further ahead to the Kremlin. Because otherwise none of this makes sense. There'll be another Bahkmut after Bahkmut is taken/not taken. But I don't think he's thinking about that or heart is for another one. He's like imo he sees this as the last job before easy street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭victor8600

Yes, but that's not a surprise. The original Ukrainian army of January 2022 is probably half wounded and KIA by now. Now it is citizens army, hopefully they get time to train and become good soldiers. Ammunition is running low on both sides. But, as you said, it could be a ruse and Ukraine is stockpiling shells for the offensive.

Something burning in Rostov again.

What's with the recent interest? An oil refinery was hit there, more recently an FSB headquarters, and now this. Trying to draw forces away from elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That last point is the Nigerian Princess test for the consumer of the content, you have to realise that by now right? It's just very public self flagellation otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They might have to change the name to Roastov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It's hard to believe we're almost 5 month's of all out Russia attack and almost no gains. Putin didn't have the patience to just hold their lines over winter he wanted more. 5 month's is a long time for Ukraine to have built up their forces for an attack.

Personally I feel another month and a half of defending before Ukraine unleashes their best efforts.

Bakhmut has proven very useful at holding Russia's best efforts. Vuhledar and Kremina fronts too. But Bakhmut in particular has soaked up an insane amount of Russian offensive power. Please God it lasts until April and if it held until a May counter offensive that would be a miracle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement