Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Orientation, I think. To me there's 2 main genders from a biological standpoint, male/man and female/woman, with some outlying medical exceptions. What that person then decides what they want to be is of no concern, but imo I think it's dangerous to tell a man that they can be a woman if they want to be, instead of encouraging them to be a proud trans woman. To me, a man can never be a woman and telling/encouraging them to believe this is not a good thing.

But I don't think anyone would have an issue with a man calling themselves a proud trans woman. It's the eroding of male/man and female/woman is the biggest issue for a lot of people I think. Add to it, no problem. Be proud of you, whoever that you is. Just like I know I can never be a proud 6'2" and no amount of positive language, encouragement or changing of laws will change that. And that's the issue I have with it. I don't think it's overall, in the long run, healthy to encourage this kind of change.

• okay sorry just thought u we’re trying to say that people choose to be gay/straight lol

I'm sure some do. But no, in general I believe people are who they are regardless of the body/gender they are born with. I just don't think we should be encouraging people to go as far as surgery to look like what they... I'm trying not to make it sound like it's a choice, this is hard... like they "should" be? I'm using wrong words here. Basically, all that won't fix the root issue, being born x way. And especially in a modern society where money rules, so people will do and say whatever it takes to get money/paid.

To me, it's a hugely complex issue well outside of my own understanding, but I'm just giving my 2 cents. I think we should be teaching acceptance of who you are/what you look like, rather than encouraging changing to fit, and I think that's what most people do, change to fit, instead of being just you. Albeit, fine line between needing to do that to be just you, vs doing it because you think it will make the root issue go away. Hugely complex. I just don't think changing to fit is good.

I apply that to everyone even outside of identity stuff. Don't follow soccer just cuz everyone else does. Don't go drinking just because it's what most people do. Do what makes you happy, and in order to do that you need to understand that not everyone will agree (usually, most won't anyway if it's so different to the "norm"), but at the end of the day it's up to you to not let words hurt as much as they do. Took me over 30 years to figure this out mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think we should be teaching acceptance of who you are

Problem here is that we tell people that they should be accepting of who we, as a society, want you to be! rather than you really are! - and it's this loaded conformity that's causes the stress.

And soceity does this from an early age and not just with gender. The edication system is geared towards conformity. Communities and social/sports groups are based on conformity

Generally speaking: before you say you want someone to accept who they are you've got to be open to them telling you who the are. And there's a good chance it'll challenge your beliefs at which point you have a decision to make: do you re-evaluate your beliefs, or tell them them that that's not who they are!?

Specifically to this debate, a lot of trans people will tell you that they've known that they've been born in the wrong body from a very early age: again - who are we to tell them that they're wrong?

And kids will also have a sense of gender long before they have a sense of sexuality.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Society has a concept of what constitutes "normal", but all of us have thoughts and feelings we have learnt to keep to ourselves to outwardly conform to this constructed ideal of "normality".

The problem arises if people are actively encouraged to rebel against this, and start to believe they are someone they're not.

There will always be individuals, those that are on the fringes and outside of what is considered to be normal, but they should be allowed to reach that point themselves. That is the crux of the so-called "anti-woke" ideology for me. I don't want people to be like me, I want them to be themselves.

I'm not prejudiced, I don't have any "isms", but I don't want to see impressionable people jumping on bandwagons either.

• Advertisement

This is exactly the problem I mentioned in my post above: you don't care about who someone really is.

Do you want people to be normal or do you want people to be themselves?

And who are you to tell someone who are are and who they are not?

How do you judge when someone is rebelling and when someone has gotten to some point themselves? Why should they have to prove themselves to you?

I put it to you that to you that it's beause you're uncomfortable with who someone really is. And this is an irrational discomfort - and that is the very definition of a phobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This must be peak woke

The Oxfam ls language inclusivity guide.

Oxfam apologies for it being written in English and tells people to avoid words like "people".

Who doesn't love a good NGO when they can deliver this sort of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Evade

Disliking someone because they're weird isn't a phobia. You need to speak less generally because, I think, you're trying to make your point about accepting someone who is LGBT but your "accept people for who they are" line of thought includes all sorts of maladaptive behaviours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭archfi

What a relief!

The relief being someone posting something that may avert the thread from it's inevitable dumb closure.

For a little while at least.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

That was the two posters who I was replying to, and I never accused either of them of simply disliking anyone. Neither of them said they disliked anyone.

You're going to have to start reading the posts you reply to.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"However, we recognise that the dominance of English is one of the key issues that must be addressed in order to decolonise our ways of working and shift power."

Umm how does one address this "issue?" Look, never mind, it's clearly bollocks.

I didn't say I could tell if someone is rebelling. If the following makes me phobic in your opinion then so be it.

I don't want people to be like me, I want them to be themselves.

Ok, might have been a bit harsh, but there is a tone of cynicism in that you can accuse people of being forced to rebel if you don't like who they are.

So how do you allow people to get to the point where they are by themselves? if a ten (or a fifteen) year old kid wants to transition, are they being themselves or are they being forced to rebel? How do you tell the difference?

I don't accept the 'foeced to rebel' thing because it sounds like an excuse to deny people who they want to be while pretending you do want them to be themselves. It's conditional - and if you truly want people to be themselves, then you can't attach conditions.

I didn't specify transgenderism at all, my post was more general than that.

So, an example of something topical. One young teenager become inspired by Greta Thunberg and starts campaigning about climate change, then others join in. Do you think it's likely that at least a few who join in are doing so for the attention (social contagion if you like), rather than full committment to the cause?

If you don't agree then we're back to you thinking I'm inherently prejudiced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Karppi

Can you please be sure to use another word rather than bollocks, which is clearly sexist.

How about using the word, "crap" which as far as I know, every human being/person does produce

Only kidding. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's no longer topical. The Greta thing is passé now. That's the 30 second attention span Tiktok generation for you. Trans issues will have their day as well when the next craze comes along.

I know - but that doesn't stop me from using transgenderism as an example. But my point is relevant generally speaking: if people want to attach conditions or obstacles to people becoming who they truly are, then there is part of them that is scared (or uncomfortable with) who that person really might be.

Re - your example - there may well be a few doing it for attention, but there are a few doing because it's who they are; hence my earlier question: how do you tell the difference? And why should the ones who are doing it because it genuinely IS who they are be greeted with 'oh, they're just rebels doing it because they're forced to'?

At which point we come back to my earlier point: are you SURE you want them to be who they truly are? (Not you personally)

there may well be a few doing it for attention, but there are a few doing because it's who they are; hence my earlier question: how do you tell the difference? 

You allow the person time to figure it out themselves.

• Advertisement

Well that's kind of obvious, but doesn't really answer the question.

I mean, it's a journey - sure - but then does any of us truly know who we are? My objection is to people who say 'that's NOT who you are!" or "you're only doing that to be popular/rebel/because you're forced to!" because, without any direct knowloege - they are acting on their own fears and phobias.

But the objection is to people who say 'that's NOT who you are!" or "you're only doing that to be popular/rebel/because you're forced to!"

I didn't mention that I do or recommend any of the above.

But both telling people they're not who they think they are, and telling them they’re doing something to rebel are wrong.

I'd rather support someone trying to figure themselves out, rather than proactively try to nudge them in one direction.

You seem to have interpreted the opposite from my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'd be willing to wager that the writer of that is a monoglot english speaker too.

I can't help but feel that the various NGOs are engaged in an arms race, where they're trying to one-up each other in seeing who can lower the bar of "offence" so low that just about any phrase or word can be construed as offensive.

• This isn’t a thread about transgenderism. Back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

For all the intersectional feminists out there, both female and male, I'd love to hear your queer theory on why it is OK for Barbie Kardashian to be in Limerick women's prison. Was Barbie born in the 'wrong body'?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Oxfam in the UK have issued a staff guide on language, apologising for the fact that it is in English, the language of colonialism. The staff should avoid using words such as Headquarters, Mother and The West. No doubt the nuances of language identified in relation to earthquakes, will be of interest to the people in Turkey.

NATURAL SHOCKS, NATURAL HAZARD, HUMAN DISASTERS

WE AVOID natural disasters

WHY The first two terms recognize that hazards often occur naturally, while the third indicates that the scale of disaster following a hazardous situation is often dependent on human responses.

Edit: I didn't see the earlier post.

Post edited by dxhound2005 on

Not your intended demographic but the answer is that we build a prison just for her. The Germans did it for Rudolf Hess, so no reason it can't be done.

Very simple rule on this one: if you haven't expressed a gender dismophia before committing the crime, you go to the prison of your biological sex.

You're more familiar intersectionalist feminists and woke than I am, so you'll probably see the problems there quicker than I will.

Wow... I don't think someone who admits to wanting to kill women slowly via their vagina should be anywhere near women. And build a prison just for a small selection of people? We can't even build a prison that's badly needed in general, and you want to waste money on a prison for 1/a handful? No. People like that should be locked up in solitary, away from everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Apparently in Wales you won't be able to let your property if you don't complete some bs anti racism training ....

• Advertisement

Well, there's not many of them, so solitary might actually happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement