Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• i don’t think you understand how an enforcement order works?

I’m not going to explain it here in detail but he’s not being asked if an enforcement order is applied for they’ll just be taking whatever he owns to make up the money he owes.

If he doesn’t have anything to make up the debt he can be forced to declare bankruptcy (destroying future mortgage prospects) or send in the sheriff.

The judge has had enough at this stage clearly and has completely ran out of patience. This is the stopping point for his carry on and now he will face actual and very serious repercussions for his behaviour of which they will continue to repeat until frankly he’s forced to both declare bankruptcy because he’ll be completely out of money or assets & cease the contempt to stop further fines.

His only way out that I can see is coming to a deal with the school where they don’t chase the fines provided he drops his appealing the dismissal and coming to the school or having anything to do with them.

But yeah come back in a few weeks and tell us some more about how Enoch won’t pay. Oh, he’s going to pay let me tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'll be honest. If there was a minimum donation of 1c, I'd be tempted to donate it just so I could leave a message telling him where he can stick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He will have to pay something. If/when he starts getting dole they can take a portion of that.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Fotish

looks like the school were the ones that wanted the they/them pronouns used, not the family of the student involved.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/parent-of-transgender-student-in-enoch-burke-row-expresses-safety-concern-for-their-family-42390736.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It appears that Wilson’s weren’t exactly truthful in all this.

A parent of the child has said they at no stage did the parents/student request that the student be addressed as “they”, and didn’t have a problem with Burke, in fact the parents/student didn’t even know that they were referenced in the disciplinary action nor court action. The meeting also involved discussions with the form head and another teacher, not the Principal as claimed, who only attended briefly. The court clarification appears to have been triggered by the parent’s email outlining the inaccuracies of what WHS had claimed.

And just in case any muppets start posting that this is a post in support of EB, it isn’t, it relates to an updated report of events, based on what the parent is saying happened, it does not excuse his subsequent appalling behaviour.

https://archive.ph/sDujM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its entirely possible the child lied to the parents about all of this. Maybe the parents reaction might have been negative as well?

Anything is possible, but the parent seems quite clear that his/her recollection differs from WHS.

”The parent also said their child had never requested they be called by the “they/them pronoun”.”

• Registered Users Posts: 26,438 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's not unusual for the recollections of different people who attended the same meeting to be different — in fact it's pretty common. That doesn't mean that one of them is being "less than honest".

And the point about the parents of the student concerned "not having a problem with Burke" is not really relevant. The court proceedings and associated contempt order arise because the school has a problem with Burke and his behaviour Burke, I think, would say that his problem is first and foremost with the school and the instructions they gave him.

It's desparately unfortunate for the student and their family that they have been caught up on this, and quite possibly — I'm not in a position to say — the school could have done more to keep them informed and, so far as possible, protect them. But none of that is (as you point out) really relevant to the dispute between the school and Burke.

I do appreciate that, without an actual recording there can be two sides and two contrasting recollections to any conversation. But the parent obviously felt strongly enough to contact the school and state that their recollection differs from the school’s and you would have to say, stating the child “never requested” is emphatic and unambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭GarfieldandPookyBear

I can’t read the whole article, if they didn’t want to be called they, then what? He, she, it? Just a name change? 😳

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is entirely possible that the child never requested to be called they/them in front of the parents but did so separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah but it has been clarified

Mr Milling, who became principal last November, said: “The student’s parent’s email could be interpreted as a suggestion the change in pronouns was a decision by the school and the school alone.

“However, I understand from my enquiries of the two members of staff who were at the meeting that is not the case.

“The student was clear that they did not want to use their previous gender-specific pronouns and all, including the parent, agreed that ‘they/them’ would be used going forward in the school.”

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It doesn't say the student/family didn't want to be called 'they', just that they did not request it. The article demonstrates how the whole situation for the student has been created by Burke's behaviour.

It is likely that this young person has enough to think about trying to come to terms with what their sexuality/gender may be and how it will affect their life, having it splashed all over the media by Burke's self-absorbed tantrums is not helpful. The student is at an age where they will not really see that it is not about them, they probably feel as though they are going around with a huge spotlight on them. Even if a few friends and family know who they are, the student concerned has not been identified and hopefully that situation will continue.

We don't know exactly where the truth lies of what went on in the meeting, and really it does not matter. The entire responsibility for all the subsequent events is down to Burke's decision to engage in histrionics over a school ruling rather than acting professionally.

Meh, he said/she said, doesn't really matter in the context of Enochs behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 10,648 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's all immaterial. It's now nothing to do with they or them. It's Enoch's way of handling his disapproval of the school's decisions. It's his contempt of court and misconduct that have him where he now is.

There is no indication that the parents are in any way uncomfortable with their child’s gender, that there is any disagreement between them about gender, or that they are back-pedalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

The school did not 'change' the child's pronouns. There can be a lot of 'who-said-what-when-to-who' with teenagers and its not uncommon for people to have slightly differing memories of the same conversations. If anything, WHS are going a long way towards clarifying and being certain that they are doing everything they can to ensure integrity and dignity. Thankfully they are not, nor any teaching union, judge nor religious leader, accepting Enoch's position and behaviour because it's barking mad. No amount of hazy memories or debates about meetings will change that.

From the way I read it, the email is from one parent and not both and only one parent attended the meeting in question so it’s also possible that the parents are not being honest with each other? We won’t be privy to those details obviously but if Enoch had just followed the orders and let the courts deal with it, he wouldn’t be in this position. He was still being paid on suspension so he wasn’t losing out.

It’s just not adding up. If your child just wanted to change their name, would all these meetings be necessary? No, you change it legally and inform the school. Someone in this has been left out of the loop.

• Advertisement

In families where there are non-binary / trans children, it can be the case that one parent is accepting and supportive, and the other, not. It happens. I'm friends with a family who went through this.

The reports that now only one parent was present at the meeting, not both, and this email makes me think its a possibility that the parents could be at odds with each other over their child's choices.

Now claiming that the use of "they/them" pronouns was never requested, and the school took it upon themselves to do that, does not ring true to me.

But as usual, you are free to differ, as I'm sure you will.

Only once in all our kids school years did both my wife and I attend the same meeting/ parents-teacher day, we both work, so only one took time off to attend.

You are making up your own narrative now to insinuate that both parents may not be supportive of their child.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,648 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Ah now, this meeting was more than an annual parent/teacher meeting.

Which is why post includes the word “meeting” as well as the parent-teachers. Doesn’t change the fact that if both parents work, both may not be able to attend. So reading anything into the fact that only one attended, or insinuating that it is an indication of strife, seems odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

The parent who emailed didn't know it was their child involved, I would take that to mean that they hadn't attended the meeting and that they hadn't been kept up to date by the child or other parent. It certainly implies they are not as supportive as the parent who attended the meeting, and that they may be struggling with the situation.

It’s not really odd to be fair. If it was just a name change as this parent is suggesting, why all the meetings? Also, a school would not take it upon themselves to decide the child is to be referred to as “they/them”. That’s a huge step and I would hope that it wouldn’t be done without at least one parent in agreement. The legal implications would be huge otherwise. It’s just not adding up!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Just for clarification, there isn't any "legal name change" in Ireland. You can change your name by just deciding to do so, and asking others to start using the new name. You can execute a deed poll to change your name if you want, which does make some things easier, but is a process in itself. If they are under 14 one of the parents would have to execute the deed poll with the consent of the other. If they are 14-17 they could execute the deed poll themselves, but it would have to be done with the consent of both parents. But a deed poll isn't required to "legally" change your name.

Again, you are making your own narrative. The parent was clear about why the meeting was scheduled. If it was scheduled for the topic you claim it was, you would have to ask why the Principal didn’t make time for the student/parent at the meeting. Why you have now turned your focus on the parents and insinuations related to non support and marital strife is beyond comprehension.

”However, the parent said in the email to Mr Milling they wished to be clear that the purpose of the meeting was to “re-engage [their child] back to school”. The parent also said that while the child had requested to go by a new name, “the they/them pronoun came from Wilson’s” and there was no principal or deputy principal at the meeting.”

Dav010, seeing as such simple points are "beyond your comprehension", I'm not going to waste any more of my time with you on this, other than to say -

What I said - highlighted in bold - was that a difference between the parents over the child was a possibility. I never stated it was a fact. Nor did I make any comment referring to "marital strife" between the parents at all. You made that bit up.

Now, this so-called "new information" may all ring true to you - because it conveniently suits your narrative - but it doesn't make sense, and it doesn't ring true to me.

At all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Tork

Does it matter who requested what? It's utterly irrelevant to the core of this case. Enoch Burke didn't agree with a request from his employer. It doesn't matter who said what in the run-up to the request. He disagreed with what was being asked of him, which he's within his rights to do. But instead of pursuing his grievance through the relevant channels, he chose to make his thoughts known to all and sundry in a very public way. I've read the court document which describes his outburst at the church ceremony and how he confronted his principal. If he didn't realise there and then that he'd blown up his career, he would've done once they suspended him and told him there'd be a disciplinary hearing. He was trying to stop it going ahead prior to the infamous "Where's John Rogers" incident, which suggests he knew his goose was cooked.

Advertisement