Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I was sort of half joking about the bet (I didn’t expect him to pay but then again my dad had a premium level seat for me , his mates had more money then he knew what to do with at the time!!!). I just felt Armagh had more in the tank and the score didn’t reflect play.

id say proper Odds were somewhere between 5-10 to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ah the dubs of the 00s, always ensured to snatch defeat from jaws of victories, build us up to knock us down. Whelan was immense but always looked sluggish at start of every league campaign when he obviously enjoyed his Christmas turkey in between championships!

That team aswell, with whelo and Shane Ryan in midfield always relied on savage purple patches of 10-15 minutes to blow teams out of the water. It usually worked against weaker teams but northie teams , kerry and Mayo 2006 (one of the worst moments for me as a dub , that was a tough one to take).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Hard to see Dessie not going with DEAN for proberly the last season for both of them .Dessie will play as much as last year's team as he can he has not found anything different and the next guy in will have real job on completely different to Dessie taking over from Jim .We can still be a contender of course but will need everything to fall in our favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Comerford, Small, Bugler and Mannion are injured. I think Mannion aggravated injury in club final. He had only trained 30 minutes in 4 months prior to club final so don't think we will see him until championship. I think McDaid has moved to Dubai. We have Sean and Jack Flash to come back too and Howard made his first apperance off the bench yesterday after been on his travels.

Ciaran Archer(Naomh Maurs) and Fionn Murray (Thomas Davis) probably the best underage freetakers in recent years but don't think both will make panel. Don't think can play Deano or Costello in same team. Con is an option for frees and if Comerford starts he can take anything outside the 45.

Post edited by Gael85 on

• Advertisement

It not Dessie fault Basquel and Byrne lost possessions which led to vital scores.

Thought McCarthy done well in the middle in first half(bar his shooting). Probably doesn't have the full 70 minutes in him. Howard will be another option around the middle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dublin GAA might not have sensed the opportunity, but Dean Rock sure did. He's been running the "Dean Rock Free Taking Project" for years at this stage, he'll come and coach a small group over several sessions. He charges a fair amount, and got some stick over it, but then again, the people doing the complaining weren't the ones likely to be getting him to coach them. Meant to be a very good masterclass, think there's some videos of it on Youtube.

He even got defended by the old nemesis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's definitely Dessie's fault for having Basquel anywhere near the team.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Basquel did kick vital point off bench against Clare and got another point yesterday. Has the quality but lacking in confidence when puts on a Dublin jersey. The reality is Dessie doesn't have the depth of talent Jim had and has to persist with lads like Basquel. When we have everyone available for selection we will be match for anyone.

We be hoping we see more of Gilroy influence come championship as doesn't appear to involved at the moment on the line.

• Advertisement

I don't think he's cut out for the intercounty game if I'm being honest. Very good club player with bags of talent but hasn't shown it in county colours. He's not the problem though and I'm being unfair on the lad.

I've watched an awful lot of this team over the past 3 years and I'm still not sure what way we play. I never expected Dessie to be Jim but he should have made his mark by now.

Definitely need to alter style of play. Dublin teams at all levels having been playing a running game for last 10 years. Jim upped to this around 2017 to lads running off of the loop and popping the ball over the bar. Opposition have copped onto this and we have no plan B.

It all well and easy saying just kick the ball in early but when opposition have multiple sweepers protecting their full back line to combat the direct play the long ball is not always on. The coaching team need to install a more creative game plan because we have become stale over the last two years.

Completely agree and I'd add that playing more direct ball into the forwards isn't a good game plan with age profile of our team. We also don't really have the forwards to play that game either. They play better when working around each other. They don't have the physicality to beat 2/3 defenders and pop a ball over the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

cork , under conor counihan , and that time they used to be finishing in mid table at best , 2010 the year , given that dublin and kerry won 10 of the next remaining 12 all irelands it dose not say a huge amount of the other seasoned division 1 teams

i am not making excuses , clare have been deacent in years past struggling a bit this year but much better then some reporters credit us , cork are a fine team dont be surprised they beat that derry team in a few weeks time , and yes serious contenders for munster not based on today but overall ,

the point i was trying to make is there is as much dead wood in divisoion 1 as 2 , teams like monaghan , roscommon and donegal will find it very hard to match the levels of derry dublin and cork come championsip ,

An awful hiding for the hurlers today's. I know it was in Nolan park but that an brutal result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

We were never in it. We don't seem to have any belief that we can win against those fellas.

Beaten before we got off the bus. I've no idea how we fix what's wrong with Dublin hurling but whatever we've been doing up to now ain't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Didn't see the game today or the highlights yet. Listened to the first few minutes on Kilkenny Radio where we didn't start well. Only had a brief summary of match since. If there's any positives we only lost the second half by 2 points but whether Kilkenny took their foot off the gas i don't know.

The league hasn't been a total disaster. We drew down in Waterford in first game where we scored a couple of good goals. Should have won though with two extra men for last 10 mins if i remember correctly.

We only lost to Tipp by 5 points which in hurling is nothing. I think Tipp had only one more score than us.

We beat Antrim which isn't an easy game.

As a warm up for the championship we've tried lots of players. I think it's fair to say Kilkenny and Galway are warm favourites to qualify so it's between ourselves and Wexford for that third spot. And we didn't get annihilated by 30+ points at home like Wexford did. And they somehow lost a game they should have won today because they don't have that killer instinct and we can beat them. Getting out of Leinster would be a good year imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Trollier10 has retired as well, injuries seeing him off apparently. Some servant.

Not sure where Dublin Hurling is these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The other positive is O'Donoghue is not afraid to trawl all the clubs for players, in an effort to freshen things up and add some depth.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

3 (maybe 4) freebies going for Sunday - PM me if interested.

EDIT: Just one left. Won't be online from Thursday afternoon onwards so PM me before then if interested.

Post edited by Collie D on

Only a casual hurling follower but we seemed to hold our own at underage level a couple of years ago but the players seem to drop off the scene for whatever reason .As things stand we appear about eight points off at least any of the good sides .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is a hard working core among the hurlers with a couple of very good players. Main problem is no fella that can be s forward threat from play - goals. Then Dublin are heavily reliant on Conor Burke’s exceptional freetaking.

Basically it is all Con O’Callaghan’s fault for sticking with the big ball game. I am convinced he would transform that hurling team. Give them an outlet something for the opposition to think about.

The top hurling counties always go on about ‘wristy hurlers’ Dublin need to develop a few and keep them away from football! Far as I am concerned any potential dual player is wasted on Dessie Farrell anyway!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Couple of things spring to mind. First, the move to U17 and U20 hasn't been successfully carried out in either code for Dublin.

Second, the football team is still a big draw and get the best players declaring for them.

Third, we just aren't very good right now. That's not to say we don't have some good players. Donal Burke is quality and O'Connell is a top class operator. We are weak in the key areas though. Midfield has been a huge problem for a while now and we don't have the type of player to dominate the centre back or centre forward positions.

Honestly I think Dublin hurling needs a hard reset from the top down. What we're doing now isn't and hasn't worked for a time now so continuing with it would be madness.

Heading to match tomorrow and really want us to step up and show a bit of form .I am hoping lessons have been learnt from the poor second half showing last time out .These last two games are important to win and win well won't be good enough to continue as we have been to date heading into the serious stuff which is not far away .

Lessons haven't been learned from the past two seasons. It's a bit much to hope they've now learned them after one half of football.

Well I thought that last year but ended up going closer than I thought.I have no faith in our setup but always hoping to be proven wrong .We have looked pretty poor so far and not the contenders some appear to think . Time will tell of course .

There isn't a chance we are contenders this year. It's fairly obvious we are a very poorly managed team and results have borne this out. I'm not even the slightest bit hopeful for this season and haven't been since Dessie was kept on at the end of last year. We could become competitive again but not with this management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Expect to see an improvement tomorrow. A comprehensive victory with a more killer instinct than seen up to date. Time to start kicking into gear. No way am i totally dismissing Dublin's chances this year. This group of players are capable of winning the All Ireland. With or without Dessie.

• Advertisement

Advertisement