Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

It's sad that you can make a personal remark like that and then someone 'thanks' you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

It was a genuine remark... I genuinely feel sorry for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

Some very good hurlers on show there. Centre back sweeper was v good, thought the left half back was motm. Some first goal from Kieran’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Not to worry, we can do both, celebrate and milk the cows. Moo!

I didn't question that it was genuine. The need for stuff to be personalised is all I questioned. Anyway, enjoy the rest of the day. Not worth sending it here feeling sorry for someone you don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Nice photo of the team after winning an All Ireland with their close friends and schoolmates

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Unless you are slower than I think you know full well what I meant

To paraphrase what you said yourself funny how you picked on one phrase and ignored the rest

Well done.to kierans some.fine young hurlers on show that are eligible to hurl for kilkenny..Great to see so many parishes are capable of producing hurlers..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

Congratulations to St. Kieran's winners, well deserved. 3-11 from play compared to 0-6. After recent All Ireland wins for Ballyhale, the U20's and the camogie team, a lot of good work being done at club, school and county level

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Well done Kieran's, much the better team but feel a small bit sorry for Athenry, they had two cracking teams during Covid that would have likely landed a 1st AI, today's version wasn't as strong.

But still plenty strong enough to see off Harty standard opposition, just not strong enough for Kieran's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Just one winner of the supposedly fabled Harty Cup has gone on to win the All Ireland in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Congrats to Kierans. There's no great mystery around their success. The lazy and ignorant analysis is pick. If pick was all you needed for success, Kilkenny wouldn't be top of the pile. Cork would win every All Ireland at every grade every year.

Today's success is a testament to the hard work not only by the players but particularly management both previous and present. There's a lot of big schools in so-called hurling strongholds that have only enjoyed a fraction of Kierans success. Only they can explain their continued failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KK v Wat

D Brennan

T Walsh C DelaneyP Walsh

C Kenny R Reid C Buckley

C Fogarty P Mullen

B Ryan J Donnelly P Deegan

B Drennan M Keoghan E Cody

Subs

D Mason

D ONeill

D Corcoran

E Cody

D Blanchfield

R Corcoran

A Murphy

W Walsh

T Clifford

R Hogan

G Dunne

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Same starting team as the last day, happy enough with that. Would have liked to see Blanchfield starting though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Mason sub goalie after being released a few weeks ago. Tallis is maybe injured. I'm happy for Dean tho. The team done well the last day so no big suprise. Delaney needs plenty of games so it's no harm he's playing. Hopefully it's a good match sunday. It would be good to get the win and a game against cork who are flying it.Waterford will be down a good few regulars but Davey will want a much better performance so he will.

Tallis is out for a few more weeks due to injury picked up in training. E Murphy being rested after knock on his head against Dublin. Fair play to management for recalling Mason, and more particularly so for Dean accepting the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

You would wonder why grown adults get so bothered about a schools competition. I mean bar having one of your own children playing why would it bother anyone too much who Kierans pick do or don’t pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I got serious stick for a thread I created about the Harry Cup before - I thought the recent-ish hyping of it was borderline creepy and got shut down big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

Just the usual munster bitterness from a certain poster

• Advertisement

This is possibly the biggest load of off-topic nonsense written on this subject which is not an inconsiderable achievement. This is not an inter-county competition so specious comparisons don't wash.

Stick to the point. This is a schools' competition. In that context St Kieran's has an inter-county pick, or to be more precise an inter-counties pick. They will never play another school which has players from 20+ clubs. When St Kieran's did play a similar team in the Leinster final they were not good enough.

The Munster winners had players from 5/6 neighbouring parishes as was the case last year. That'd be like Johnstown winning a Senior A provincial title. Accusing schools like this of failure while in the same breath accusing other posters of being lazy and ignorant is a joke.

This point has been made ad nauseam, but as a counterfoil to the blowhards trying to big their win into some kind of achievement is a point definitely worth repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Everyone involved in this conversation is making a show of themselves. All your points have been made on both sides. Please give it a rest. Its tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

A kilkenny team winning really does get under your skin ,love it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,908 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,908 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

Reading back through this thread is a bit of a chore.

It seems to have diminished somewhat to a littany of Personal Style Posts, which is a pity.

Focus on the post, not the poster. There is an 'ignore' feature and a Report Post function too.

Kindly return to the better posting style this thread normally has or warnings and threadbans will be applied.

As always, do not quote or reply to this, PM if there is any issue.

Tomorrow will be interesting..Cody's teams often struggled against a sweeper which I'm sure Waterford will have..one thing niggling me about naming the same team as the last day is that I hope Lyng isn't doing what cody always did against Davy and pick a dummy team..hopefully I'm wrong and that team does start..would be good to see richie Hogan at some stage..must be time for him to step up or step away

Yes, I think Davy Fitz will definitely play a sweeper. Hopefully Lyng has a plan to take it on. Regards our team, I was expecting Blanchfield and D Corcoran to have made their mark at this stage but we really haven't seen much of them. R Hogan does need to be tried.

Agree completely re blanchfield.. been very impressed with him anytime I see him..corcoran deserves a.chance too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Hopefully tomorrow will be a good match. The league has being very poor and I don't think we've learned a huge amount. Waterford down a good few bodies through injury and suspension which will definitely weaken them but looking at it their half back line is strong and Bennet,dessie,jack Prendergast and Patrick Curran all have plenty of experience. Theres no doubt this will be the first test for lyng unlike the Tipp match where we had a safety net if we lose tomorrow the league will be over. It won't be the end of the world but with Waterford down prunty,Gleeson,barron,Mikey Kiely we would be disappointed if we don't get a win or a draw at home.

What is interesting is lyng is still going with a host of the experience lads. I know injury and precautions have players out but from the all Ireland only Tommy Walsh and Richie Reid hold their positions from 1-9. Lyng is moving players around trying to see what formation will work the best. With all teams only playing 2 in the full forward line padriag is playing the Barry Nash role and he has being very effective the last few games granted the opposition was very poor. Tomorrow should be a much better test for this team and players trying to break into the team like mullen and drennan. I think Davey is over complicating things at the moment and it was bizarre looking at dessie hugging the far sideline trying to create space for the player inside. I'd be suprised if Waterford aren't up for this and give Bennet and dessie ball to try punish us. Their discipline has being very poor and can't continue into the championship.

We are slowly improving the short game but still inclined to give terrible ball from defense. The ball delivered needs to more a forwards ball. Id be fierce dissapointed if we made a hero out of tadgh de burca . I think darren Brennan is better at puckouts than scruff but he's definitely suspect under the high ball.Hopefully we have our homework done on and we get a good performance.

• Advertisement

We need plenty of movement, and correctly timed, in the forwards to enable the backs hit their target accurately. It's next to impossible nowadays to win ball if you're static.

Advertisement