Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Traveller culture to be promoted through school curriculum: Posted on BBC website!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

"Go out and experience it". I did. For 10 years. I've nothing positive to take from it. Our opinions will never be in agreement, that's obvious. I try and be genuine and honest and it's claimed my question is loaded and blah, blah. You don't want a discussion so. Grand. My opinion hasn't been changed nor my question answered. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's not hate, it's reality. They have nothing in their culture in the recent past that i'd want my grandchildren to be subjected to in school. We see enough of it at their weddings, funerals and fights. Ut's a culture nobody wants to witness. Good luck to you but i'm out too. You got the chance to prove your point but didn't even try to make an effort and we know exactly why, you couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There is one prison for criminals aged under 18.

It is in Oberstown, north county Dublin.

In the first quarter of 2018, there were 92 young criminals in this prison.

Irish = 65

Irish travellers = 20

EU = 5

Africans = 2

22% of the young criminals are travellers.

This is obviously way out of proportion for the number of travellers in the population, and is a reflection of the endemic and widespread criminality among travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

No no, it's the settled folks fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Such figures aren't uncommon in ethnic minorities around the world.

Racist groups love to point to these figures as 'evidence' of a criminal, inferior culture in Aboriginals, African-Americans, Albanians, Rohingya, Syrians, Turks amongst many, many others.

The question for you is, do you really buy into this view that these other cultures are inferior too? It can't just be Travellers right, it must also be Aboriginals, African-Americans etc?

You're either in or out?

• Advertisement

I don't think anybody or any culture is inferior.

I am simply stating that criminality is disproportionately higher among travellers.

I don't really see any link between crime and culture.

I see culture as music, song, dance, literature, sport, cinema, etc.

The 'simply stating' stuff again?

Why would you come to a thread about Traveller culture to say that?

But you're fine then with teaching Traveller culture in schools so. Happy to hear it.

I don't think any culture is inferior, it's just that I can't see that there is much traveller culture?

Is there much literature, poetry, cinema?

There is success in boxing, okay.

There doesn't seem to be much to teach?

There is no need to be a prick. I was simply asking what significant traveller related historical events have there been?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You'll only get abuse for asking those sort of questions. She has no answers and resorts to that kind of sock answer all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

How are travellers a weaker group?

And what do you mean by asking the poster if they expect the to change?

Change from what, exactly?

All your posts on this thread are woolly and lacking any substance.

Traveller's make up a tiny proportion of the population. They have little or no representation in positions of authority and many live in extreme poverty. That's pretty much what I mean by a weaker group.

The poster had stated they were fine with Travellers when they lived along the roads, travelling to fix tools. I'm asking is it expected they still live like this, which has a sad irony given the criminalisation of their traditional lifestyle.

What's woolly about my posts? Am I 'only asking', 'just stating', 'merely observing', because that would be woolly right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

This is wholly untrue.

They have significant representation within the government actions, ngos and...well prison.

I don't know what you mean by 'within the government actions'?

Do you know of senior civil servants that are Travellers? Judges? Political Consultants?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

This stuff always makes me laugh...what are they gonna promote? how it's okay to systematically abuse animals? maybe how to race sulkies safely on motorways? or maybe how to steal everything that's not nailed down? maybe how to drop out of school early, how not to work, how to make life miserable for every tax payer in the country?...I mean these are only some of the vaulable life skills traveller culture has to offer.

• About a year ago a Traveller lady spoke on Liveline complaining about how women are treated in their culture, how she, on her 16th birthday, was being pushed into a forced marriage with a man she had never met, and she mentioned about a lot of her female Traveller friends had the exact same lived experience. It didn’t fit the RTE-Government agenda and the topic was quickly silenced, not to be mentioned again.

If history and culture education content is to be created let these women speak and contribute to it. But of course that won’t happen, because in the axiom of wokeness Traveller rights supersede women’s rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Advertisement

• Teacher Owen Ward in Galway experienced this phenomenon when he tried to become the studious child and went on to third level to become a teacher. There wasn’t quite the support in his family or community, but he’s managed somehow to steer the best course he can to be acceptable to his own and mainstream culture, but not an easy path to take. Education needs to look attractive to Travellers, and I guess including their history and culture is part of of an attempt to do that.

I don't know that these issues are typically dealt with at primary school level.

Also, given that such awful practises exist in many other cultures, I don't see the value in making education around them Traveller specific.

I shared some writings earlier from a Traveller writer who suggested Traveller women are less likely to report, and less empowered to challenge, such abuses because of their marginalized position.

I wholly support any education practices that challenge abuse of women. So as not to be counterproductive, I'd suggest they should look at the many ways women can be abused and mistreated across cultures, with our own settled culture being no less culpable.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Arranged marriages are not commonplace in mainstream indigenous Irish culture outside Traveller culture, and indeed not commonplace among people of other ethnicities living in Ireland. In case you indulge in more whataboutery, which you will do as is your privilege in a discussion, we are talking here about education around culture in Ireland in an Ireland-focussed part of the syllabus,

Fair play to this woman, and yes, this male-dominated lifestyle / culture is not helpful.

Fair play to Owen Ward, but his experience suggests that we should not promote a lifestyle / culture that prevented him from progressing.

So maybe teach about travellers, making sure to include these negative/backward aspects?

I often think that by 2020 travellers still haven't caught up with my grandmother in 1960, who really appreciated the value of education for their children.

No.1 - they shouldn't be dealt with in primary school. Moral code should be driven by one's close family. Not the school.

No.2 - again parents. They marginalise themselves. I don't like people who blame others. Take responsibility. No chance.

No.3 - across cultures. And I use culture in this particular instance with an amused look on my face. Abusing women, ney girls is not a fault of the "culture"? No responsibility? Families shouldn't intervene?

But we should? Explain please?

Woah there, I don't know where to start with that... Well for a start arranged marriages are still quite common in some South Asian cultures and I'd hazard a guess that Asian ethnic groups such as these might actually be more populous than Travellers in Ireland currently.

That's not for a second to defend the practice, or engage in whataboutary, just to highlight the danger in linking education around abusive practices to a specific culture or ethnic group.

When people here continuously reference incarceration rates amongst Travellers, is it not valid to look at this as a worldwide phenomenon? That's not whataboutary, it's bringing context.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

What is your point exactly? There are many cultures that are patriarchal and misogynistic, and which treat women and girls as chattel, we all know that. Traveller culture is one such culture. What has this got to do with anyone else? You're waffling and obfuscating. If Traveller girls are being married off and used as brood mares when they're underage, it's something we need to tackle and acknowledge as a Traveller issue in Ireland. We owe it to those girls and women. It's people like you who let them down with the "ah shure it's their culture and besides, it's not just them" nonsense.

You've completely misunderstood me.

Terrible practices such as these are entirely wrong in any culture, including our own.

My point is they shouldn't be used to portray a particular culture as inferior or lesser.

The notion that one culture can be deemed to be lessor or inferior is wrong in and of itself.

Using practices like this to derogate a culture, only serves to make it more difficult for those within that group that don't practice them, and more difficult for them to be challenged from within that culture.

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've read through this thread and I still have no idea what would be included in the syllabus.

Advertisement