Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was it registered in NI before 01/01/2021? If yes then no VAT or duty, just VRT. If no then you will be liable for VRT, VAT and imput duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 faddys123

It was registered in NI on in Jan 2019. But on the v5 just says country of registration is UK. It does have a NI reg.

The v5 I have says acquired in 2022 and it only service history is 2022 and had its first mot in 2023.

Do I need any documents to prove its in NI before brexit? Or the NI reg is enough? Since it can't be registered in England

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Looking to buy a car up north (im in the south) the garage have said they cant sell to me because im in the south (audi belfast)

Im full time carer for my Mam after my Dad passed away suddenly last year. He never claimed for anything regarding cars etc even tho I encouraged him to. My mam lives with me now.

basically the car I have my eye on will be exempt from VAT & VRT once not registered prior in ireland. Its a demo car with only 2000miles on the clock, year 2022. Ive spoken to revenue regarding what is covered under the disabled passenger scheme and it all tracks.

i have a friend who lives in Belfast so I can use his address to purchase the car, what is the best way to pay and what am I overlooking?

any advice welcome because its a huge chunk of change to drop and even more if it goes wrong!!

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If I understand you correctly, you are buying on the disabled passenger scheme and so will not be paying Irish vat or vrt or will be claiming them back or whatever.

I figure you need to buy a vat qualifying car which the one you mention would surely be.

I wouldn't go buying it via another address. Could this affect the vat qualifying status?

Audi won't sell just because they want you to buy via Irish dealer. Plenty not franchise dealers will sell you a car.

I figure you would have to get it out of the north ex vat too. That might be the hardest part.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Hi,

Apologies, yes I meant the disabled passenger scheme. Ive scrapped the idea of buying up north I feel its a lot of unnecessary hassle and Im already stretched thin! I spoke to an irish dealer & worked out a decent price for a brand new car which I can then claim VAT & VRT on, register it to me with no messing around with addresses etc.

I havent ordered it yet I need to think about it and figure out adaptions I’ll need suitable for my mother.

Husband is less than impressed, he reckons the car is a pile of sh*te (his exact words lol) its an Audi Q2 with some bells and whistles, perfect for my twice daily 30min commute. I like it, I dont want a big whopper suv, I just need something a little higher than my current car so my mam can get in and out without injuring herself!

Thanks for your reply!

• Advertisement

I think you are being wise to go with a car from a dealer here as they are all very familiar with the scheme.

It doesn't have to be a new car though.

A q2 is a pretty flimsy Audi. I would be with your husband to a point but if it fits your needs, go for it.

Be careful on spec as some of them do look like piles of shite whereas the right colour spec and wheels make them look pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

Hi lads, a bit of a advice if any1 able for!

Have got a car from uk almost a month ago from a garage, as he did't have the log book-v5 on hand at the time, did agree to have that sent to me by post when he will get it! He did sent it to me 2 weeks later - when he got it, now 2 weeks since posted to me and i still haven't got it posted here - was sent by internation tracked & signed, have the tracking no and all i can see online on the royal tracking the date/time when was posted and that's it, checking it every day - 14 days in transit already keep showing up! Have the Vat & Duty paid already!

Now as there's 30 days to have the car registered here, my due date is mid next week, so wondering what should i do?

Have booked the vrt for next Wed - at my local centre, so was thinking to go ahead with what papers i have and a copy of the v5 only(the guy did sent to me b4 posting it) - knowing that that won't suffice to do so, but at least to show myself up, and if there's something missing i'll be on the system and next time when i go in - no booking needed, just walk in and get it done - as i did b4 with some papers missing and have been told to get them and walk in when ready!

And what's the penalty for registering the car after the 30 days period, if some1 knows please!

Also, on the booking email, rgds the paperworks needed for registration, can't see nothing about Vat & Duty - if any sort of proof needed or they can find out themselfs on the day? The person/company that did the clearance for me, did gave me a few pages and told me to bring them in for Vrt!

I do hope that the post will arrive by then, but still a big NO if not! Thanks.

Your biggest mistake was buying the car without having the V5 registration cert in your hand but there really isn't any point dwelling on that now. VRT office will not accept a copy of the V5, it will need to be original genuine V5 document. Fingers crossed the V5 arrives soon as usually there are VRT late penalites as per Revenue's website:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vrt/calculating-vrt/additional-vrt.aspx#:~:text=Additional%20VRT%20is%20charged%20when,date%20of%20its%20first%20entry.

Additional VRT

Additional VRT is charged when a vehicle is not registered within 30 days.

The additional VRT is added to the total VRT due. The additional charge is calculated by multiplying the total VRT due by 0.1%. An additional 0.1% is added on for every day the vehicle is not registered, from the date of its first entry.

Regarding VAT and import duty, assuming you went through a customs agent then they should have provided paperwork proving VAT and customs duty has been paid and this will need to be produced when VRTing the car.

Seeing as you have the customs bit done, the import dates are fixed. I would therefore probably do what you suggest - go in with copy knowing it's no good but at least it will hopefully get you opened up on the system within the required timeline and told to return with correct document

You will probably be into penalties but not the end of the world.

Buying without v5 in hand is absolute madness.

All the dealer has to say now is that he stuck it in post and no further responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭iggy82

HI Everyone - if I am importing a car from UK is the VAT calculated based on what you paid for the car or on the Revenue OMSP? Any advice greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement

VAT is based on the invoice price plus transport cost.

Thanks Bazz - and customs at 10% of the same as well do you know?

That's my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,164 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Does anyone know if the UK vat can claimed back, looking at a car but the dealer says the price is the price, the invoice will just have the total paid and vat won't be listed.

Was hoping to the vat back through the personal export scheme but am I goosed if they don't operate it. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/personal-export-scheme-notice-707#:~:text=The%20Personal%20Export%20Scheme%20allows,motor%20vehicles%20into%20some%20countries.

Firstly it needs to be a vat qualifying car you buy. In that case, the invoice can certainly have the vat shown.

Secondly, I can't find an ordinary dealer who will operate that scheme. There are exporter companies who will handle it for you.

Cheers, looked a bit more into it, doesn't qualify regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

This has prob been covered, any comments welcome.

I’m looking to Buy a Merc 2020 (07 reg) listing at £35k and it says VAT Qualifying. It’s a Hybrid and CO2 is less than 30 g/km. I operate as a sole trader and VAT registered in Ireland.

Customs Declaration – I spotted a company customsdeclaration.ie  online and was thinking of using them to do this paperwork. I also saw a UK company carexporters.co.uk,  Or would someone have a company they have used ? If there was 1 company that deals with customs paperwork, Duty and UK VAT on VAT qualifying cars that would be ideal.

Duty – Hoping that the manufactured date is after April 2020, so the car is under the 3yr limit. I presume the Duty is zero. How do I go about proving this, is it simply the VIN number or Is this dealt with by the customs agent ?

UK VAT – The car is listing VAT qualifying, is it simply that the invoice I pay is with Zero VAT and I save 20%, or is there a form to be completed, again does a customs agent look after this ? I read in the last couple of pages that this might be only available to dealerships in IRL, but does anyone know a company out there that could help with this, if its 20% that's about £7k... nearly €8k.

Irish VAT – I pay the 23% but my understanding is I can reclaim this but would need to charge VAT when I sell the car (obviously the selling price is the same but 23% of it is VAT I have to hand over). Effectively deferring and reducing the VAT I end up paying.

VRT – I ran the calculator and this comes in at under 4k, happy about that ! and looking through the thread I have to make sure to get the V5C paperwork when purchasing and take it with me.

Payment - I use currencyFair for small purchases in the UK, upto 5k, so I think I will use them for payment.

I’m afraid if I get something wrong it could be costly, so any comments welcome. I won’t take it as “advise”, just a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

I am currently importing a car with just one hurdle left.

A certificate of conformity is needed to show where and when it was manufactured,good chance it is in the glove box of the car to avoid the 10% duty

You pay the irish vat through your agent before the car enters ireland,it is put into a prelodged account by your agent and once car entered the state it will be cleared by customs,I payed the vat on a Friday morning to the agent,he put it into a prelodged account,car came in on Sunday and then customs cleared car on Tuesday and issued document that you need for the vrt office.

You cannot claim the 23% Irish vat back n a car whether you have a vat number or not.

Can anyone confirm this means what I think it means before I purchase.

The family moved from the UK to Northern Ireland and brought their car over on the ferry in 2020, car and reg are listed on the ferry ticket they're providing me.

The car was put in the garage soon after arriving and it's only recently had the V5 changed to Northern Ireland then an Northern MOT and insurance.

Just want to make sure that ferry ticket is enough to just pay VRT and not VAT and import duty.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/importing-vehicle-from-gb.aspx

• Advertisement

Called revenue their happy with the ferry ticket.

Ouch, If I have to pay the full Irish VAT then it might not be worth doing. Is that the same if I source the car up in NI rather than GB. Would you know of a good agent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

Other posted is incorrect. You can defer the VAT payment, its called postponed VAT, so basically instead of paying the VAT, reclaiming it, and then paying it again when you sell the car, you just don’t pay it on import and only pay it when you sell the car.

Speak to your accountant/customs broker about it, but this is what I do all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

Hey all found this thread and looking for some info as awfully confused.

Found a minibus for sale in the south, but with an English reg - I think it was working in NI previously. The garage got it as a trade in and looking for a quick sale seemingly. The price is around 8k, it's a 16 seater minibus, 2013 reg.

I think he has the V5.

Is the VRT a flat rate of €200 as it's > 9 seater minibus?

Am I looking at 23% VAT on the 8k, any other charges?

Thanks in advance

Thats great thanks. Are you a car dealer or just a regular business / sole trader. I'm looking for a agent, who have you used, not looking for a recommendation, just some info

I sell cars but I don’t see why the same wouldn’t apply to any other VAT registered business. I use Axis Logistics

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Hi Folks

reading through imports by people..lots of info.

looking at A6 2022 or 2021. Anyone got one recently from N Ireland. Is there still savings worth doing it.

Got an A6 in 2018 from Scotland and probably saved about 10 Grand but selling my own private here.

5 years later looking to upgrade the years ..think GB out due to higher taxes that NIreland don’t have all of. Anyone trade a car back to dealer in North. Can I claim back some of VRT that I paid in 2018.

novice at this advice welcome..thanks in advance

Thanks i'll give them a call, but I think I'll check with revenue as it would be an expensive mistake. I'll report back here when I find out. I've a feeling the rules are different for dealers.

Does anyone know where you can see previous OMSP that the VRT office have given, would you be able to do an foa on it. I'd really like to see the data.

I need to clear something in the next couple of weeks and want to see what they're basing the osmp on.

• Advertisement

Not sure about the first part, but the OMSP is based on what Revenue deem is the value of the car with VRT paid. A method they use of determining the value is by seeing what the car is selling for on Donedeal

Advertisement