Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

I hope Brendan o'Connor throws his hat in the ring. Before Tommy Tiernan came along o'Connors Saturday night show was regularly drawing more viewers than the Late Late. By his third season he was really in his groove but then RTE went and axed his show

Yes why did they do that, he was very good but in fairness so was Tubridy when he did Tubridy tonight, he was more free for some reason back then. To be honest maybe it is the whole production team and politics behind the LLS that is the real problem, maybe there are too many people in the backround now that are overly controlling . There are probably many interesting off the wall people that could be on it like Gay Byrne used to have but they are stopped by all the backround mandarins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Think BoC had family stuff at the time iirc which precluded him from going for it.

I think he is too old and dry at this stage.

Think Tommy is good but maybe too old and too nervous for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GalaxyExplorer

Why is he stepping down? He has never really explained this. Is he being pushed, or leaving voluntarily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Enoch Burke is looking for a job, maybe he might get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Heard he was replacing Graham Norton over the pond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

heard him on RTE radio 1 yday - he just feels its time to leave the party.. and he's 49... doesn't wanna be there at 50..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Regarding Brendan O'Connor, well all I can say is that he has a great face for radio. Pity about the content though. His weekend shows are dire, and if I hear about one more segment on depression, keep fit, what to eat, I'll lose it.

Anyway for the record I don't actually listen or watch RTE anymore, but I follow a lot of threads here about radio shows and I reckon they are on the button. Sorry dial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Well I never thought I'd live to see the day. I always believed Tubs would be waked on the Late Late Show set in about 30 years time, literally carried out on his final show. Upon hearing the news, I fell to my knees, arms outstretched to the sky, like Andy Dufresne after crawling through that river of shít!

After reading this thread, I fully agree with the posters who said he was given his cards a while back and RTE are now letting him "resign" with a bit of honour. It's long, long overdue. I'm sure he's a good son, a good Dad and an alright fella in the real world, but as a talkshow host he was about as out of his depth as anyone can be in their job. Pat Kenny's LLS wasn't of the standard of his predecessor but at least Kenny had core competencies which gave him an edge at least some of the time he was on air, namely politics, current affairs and societal/cultural issues. Apart from the Toy Show, which he cleverly turned into a behemoth during his tenure, Ryan Tubridy was effectively riding in the Grand National every weekend, without a horse to sit on. Poor with both serious and light entertainment, he decided to turn a once great Irish television institution, where the topics of the day were discussed robustly amongst major figures of Irish life, into a smalltime, parochial bastion of tedium. Tubridy's Late Late became a vehicle for Z listers, the relentless exploitation of unfortunate ordinary people with deeply sad stories and a weird fetish for bad Irish country music and the Eurovision.

At all times, he was wooden, nervy and uncomfortable in the mere act of interviewing people and always displayed both a lack of curiousness and an unwillingness to properly prepare for his guests by actually doing the research and asking pertinent questions. Turbridy was, what he was. The teenage teaboy who got the top job because he was there a long time and was friendly with the right people, not because he was the best candidate to front a live talk show.

As for the new host, I'd count Tommy Tiernan out straight away. The host of the LLS is not going to be given to a comedian with a penchant for going off script regularly. The job is going to require someone who can actually handle serious topics and interview serious people from a journalistic perspective with the aim of educating the audience. While Tommy does well with the version of serious he dips into on his own show, it's not the same ballgame as what the LLS host will deal with. Probably more pertinent is that the commitment required from Tommy would be far too much as it would effectively end his comedy career.

Claire Byrne ticks the boxes for age, gender, photogenic, and would be accomplished with the topics which made the old LLS great, current affairs. Many have said she's unproven with light entertainment, but she wouldnt be a complete novice in that respect as she put in many years at TV3 doing that kind of material before moving into current affairs. She seems a far more personable and less self regarding individual that Tubridy, so I doubt she would struggle to do fluff interviews.

My pick would be Brendan O' Connor. Has the TV experience. Does a similar gig successfully on radio. Is comfortable with serious and light topics. Brendan does seem to have that crucial quality needed in a good interviewer, he is intellectually curious and interested in people and what makes them tick. I remember him interviewing Noel Gallagher on his own talkshow years ago. As evidence by his appearance with Tubridy, a bad Noel Gallagher interview is like watching paint dry and it's very obvious when he is bored or finds the questions rote. No such trouble for O' Connor. He gently poked at Gallagher's ego and rockstar persona while still asking good questions which the viewer at home would want to know ie "Is Bono an awful bollocks really?" etc :D Brendan was well able to fulfil the main criteria for any Noel Gallagher inteview.....Let Noel be Noel. Wind him up and let him off.

Of course, whoever gets it, it wont be a meritocratic choice. It WILL be a woman for definite and I could easily see them choose a rank outsider, like Katryn Thomas.

Whatever happens, it's a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GalaxyExplorer

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,085 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Will Ryan go back to presenting 'Going For Gold'?

#oldjokesarethebest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/rte-could-summon-the-ghost-of-legendary-host-johnny-carson-and-it-still-wouldnt-save-the-late-late-show-42392457.html

RTÉ could summon the ghost of legendary host Johnny Carson and it still wouldn’t save ‘The Late Late Show’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭squonk

Watching the Paddys day show at the moment. Looks like they have a social media section as he has had a TikTok musical father and daughter and now some lad with a big egg. Must be the production staff rolling out this dross. Painful stuff.

The audience look like they’re being forced to clap along with the band at gunpoint. That’s another thing that needs to go, the forced atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I only agree with some of this, but I think it's an excellent post nonetheless.

This bit below especially sums him up, I couldn't put it into words like this, so Thanks.

"At all times, he was wooden, nervy and uncomfortable in the mere act of interviewing people and always displayed both a lack of curiousness and an unwillingness to properly prepare for his guests by actually doing the research and asking pertinent questions. Turbridy was, what he was. The teenage teaboy who got the top job because he was there a long time and was friendly with the right people, not because he was the best candidate to front a live talk show."

True dat. Isn’t he Beamon Andrews grandnephew or something? Obviously the tv presentation gene didn’t reach her passed in though.

I do feel sorry for him though. I’m sure he was given his marching orders and it’s not easy serving out 2.5 months notice in view of the entire nation. On a personal level he seems like a nice enough guy and irregardless if his ability for the job at hand, it might have been better if they’d left this announcement till mid May to make it easier on the chap.

Six nations shîte. Yawn. Who cares? There are plenty of outlets for this malarkey elsewhere so this rubbish is another item they should kill off with the new presenter. Most sports people are really boring being interviewed, trotting it the sage oul’ none sense over and over and it’s hardly life and death stuff now is it?

also George Murphy deserves a permaban from the RTE campus. This is just shîte tv right now.

• The exit this year is not quite voluntary, I see him biting his lip quite a bit, that’s telling.

By contrast TG4 is wall to wall music which I think is better for a day like this. No pub bands either unlike the LLS. I think the whole production staff need to be moved off along with Tubbs. I’d say it’s not entirely his fault.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm laughing because I was about to quote that exact piece. So spot on.

I had to give up watching when Tubridy took over. I tried, but he was just godawful. I know Pat Kenny's forte was more serious stuff and many say he wasn't suited to TLLS, but for me, it was still very watchable with him.

I'm not sure what Tubridy's forte is or was. I don't have kids so wouldn't have watched the Toy Show anyway but of course saw clips from time to time. And Tubridy seemed to have made it about himself, and all this tripe about children gazing in awe when they saw him out and about and saying it's the toy man. Really 🤔

I enjoyed Brendan O'Connor's show, he had a curiosity and a willingness to find out what made his guests tick that Tubridy never had. I think it should never have been axed to make way for gawd help us, Ray Darcy. I don't see BOC getting this gig though.

RTE should go back to the drawing board, and scrap the existing format imo. Look at who the target audience is and what that audience is looking for. They probably won't but anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Who is most likely to be the replacement for Tubridy??

Enoch Burke ... defo not going to happen ... mentioned as a joke by many !!

Graham Norton? Totally unlikely ... doing well with BBC ... no need for him to change ...

Brendan O'Connor ... a few years ago perhaps he would be the most likely ... but he has not been a major RTE player for some time ... plus he is Cork not Dublin anyway !!

Ray D'Arcy .... RTE decided he was not the thing for chatshows when he was replaced by Angela Scanlon/Tommy Tiernan .... so no way is he a true contender ...

Brian Ormond ... just faded out of true fame so no ....

Bertie Ahern .... has been named but he is too old and prob more interested in being president than being Tubridy !!

Lottie Ryan/other Gerry Ryan children ... now we have the first of the serious contenders !! Could well be in for a shout but they lack a high profile so probably will not get it ... now at least !!

Daithi O'Shea ... at first glance he is a contender ... but he is from Kerry not Dublin !! So no ...

Sinead O'Connor ... unless they wanted something totally unpredictable but they prefer her as guest ... so no ...

Tommy Tiernan ... he is in many ways the obvious choice ... and he is a serious contender ... but would he give up his comedy for chatshow that requires a lot more nights than his current one ?? It is really up to him but I feel he likes his current situation better ...

Angela Scanlon ... likewise the obvious choice as a current Saturday night chatshow presenter ... plus she is a woman which is where things are going ...

Imelda May ... since she is got to do almost everything else why not the late late ??? She had a chat show before but it did not last long so RTE may have decided that even this 'talented artiste' has her limitations and chat show hosting is one of them !! Don't think she will get there but she is a she ... so could be considered should others show no interest ....

Claire Byrne and Sarah McInerney ... women so yes a chance ... but way too serious ... so only considered should a more lightweight woman pull out ...

Miriam ... good at it she is but she has Primetime and would at 60 want to stay with what she has I would say ..

That leaves .... Jennifer Zamparelli as the most likely new host ... she is a woman, she is a female Tubridy, she is from the reality TV arena ... so ticks all the boxes for RTE .... if they were to go for a man it would be Nicky Byrne ... but it will be a woman ... there is one other possibility though .... Panti ...

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Agree ... I think the whole show needs to be rethought ... there needs to be a move away from boybands, other modern pop, modern country, so called songsmiths, et al when it comes to music ... in the real world most people either like Elvis/Elvis type music ... or ... rebel songs/ballads .... Tubridy and modern RTE do not want to acknowledge the latter we well know ... they don't do much for the former either to be honest ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I see a lot of people mentioning Panti, but no one considers Rory O'Neill...

• Which is a worse choice, Emer O’Neill or Rory O’Neill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,516 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

When I first read about Tubridy leaving The Late Late Show for good; it left me very surprised. He must have that incline in him to leave it behind him before he hits 50.

His era of presenting the LLS has not been the best one in my eyes. He had struggled to maintain a good aurora when he was in the hotseat.

The only time he had made sense in the role was when he was doing the Toy Show. His last Toy Show from last year was great. It was one of his best ones that I had watched in years.

However when I had watched his regular shows including some of his specials for the adults. It does say a lot about his presence in the show that it was not going to last forever.

It portrayed a very big message to us that the writing was already on the wall whenever he had the courage to to say that his time was up.

His knew that his product was becoming very stale to the masses and he would eventually into get his taxi and leave behind his late late role for good.

It was never easy for me to see it decline in such a manner in such a short space of time.

It is now becoming a really good moment for everyone to answer the question of whether the LLS should last on RTÉ's television landscape into the 2030's & beyond that.

I normally do not like change because I like sticking with tried & tested methods as they give me familiarity.

But when a product becomes stale after doing it for so long. It does get to you after a while.

To drum up any sort of excitement back in the pre-internet era here in Ireland; the LLS as a television brand had to be the first major stepping stone to get you recognised in this country.

Now you could have the potential to get recognised with other means of communication first like YouTube, Tiktok, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram & so on.

The Late Late Show in today's times is now regarded as something that is now a relic of a bygone era.

And whether a new change in both the format and presenter will give it any credibility in future is entirely on RTÉ's shoulders. What could they do with it when the product is dying in their arms. Do they give it further life support or do they set it free?

It is their choice now as the ball is in their court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Field east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

RTE have stuck with the same old faces for decades,now they've run out of faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

Scrap the programme it died with Gay Byrne replace it with episodes of Father Ted -no one watches RTE anymore besides the news and weather

Advertisement