Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambing 2023

• 18-03-2023 2:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭

Best of luck to all March lambing flocks!🙂

And hope early lambing flocks got on ok…..weather was good enough for early lambing anyway.

First lambs arrived here this evening,lambing outside, nice set of twins.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lambing went well here, 1.92 on mature ewes and 1.29 for ewe lambs including ewes and ewe lambs that reabsorbed lambs or scanned empty.

Still six to go. only a fortinght lambing yet,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

That is an excellent return…..was talking to a fella the other day who had a very bad start,out of first 10 ewes lambed he had two that picked lambs….and lost another 4 or 5 lambs.Had vet out and it’s not enzo etc which he was glad to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

What do you mean by picked lambs? I never heard that expression before.

Only 10 lambed here yet and all good so far thankfully although lambs off of a new Charollais ram lamb seem to be coming very small. Early days yet but other Charollais lambs and Texel lambs are a great size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Great lambing here so far, very happy with the vendeen ram lamb throwing great lambs, weren't the easiest lambed though but was used on first timers, only for the camera in the shed things would be alot different, I couldn't advise a camera strongly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Sorry for late reply.'Picked lamb' is another way of saying the ewe aborted early.The last ewe lambed here yesterday, she was around a week after the other stragglers finished.Lambing went well overall, especially considering the horrible wet and cold week that came after St Paddy's Day.

No losses from fox which was great,where possible sprayed Stockholm Tar on new born lambs the day they were born. The horrible whiff off it definitely helps keep the fox away. Lambing outside in fields near the house. Never had less trouble with ewes presenting wrong. Had 20 ewes carrying doubles in one field for eg, and only had to handle one two year old sheep that hadn't opened properly and was running around the field with a waterbag out.Took a bit of time but eventually got two small lambs from her,that I put in for a few days as it was lashing rain that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea I had a great lambing here aswell. Last ewe lambed last weekend. 90% of ewes lambed in 2 weeks. Never had to handle so few . The last of the singles were the only ones that needed assistance.

was very cold for letting them out but got a few days half way through which allowed me to empty the shed so never got into issue on space in shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Had a bad enough lambing , went well during Late February and March around lambing but unusually I had to bring in 4 or 5 lambs after month to six weeks due to one lamb in double not doing on ewe, anyone experiencing this? Had two or threelsmbs got dead from starvation too where ewes with doubles left one off or wouldn’t let them drink , horrendous stuff . Still getting the odd non thriving lamb or lamb melting . No sign of nemotadirus. And there on clean land that had no much small lamb activity last season, so nemotadirus shouldn’t b a big issue . No dirty tails either only an odd one that this happened the rest are doing well although on creep , 215 lambs eating 4 bags a day

Advertisement