Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v England Grand Slam Decider 2023

Options

Comments

No more sleeps

No more sleeps

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

God I cannot wait for this one. Lucky enough to have tickets, while of course anything can happen I just don’t see this team cracking. Pride, passion etc for this England team just won’t be enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

l’m old enough to remember the bad old days, but I also think this side is probably the best side we’ve ever had. They’re pretty justifiably favourites.

Also, your most recent example is 2009. I remember watching some old games during Covid, and the game has changed massively since then.

I’m not as bullish as some on here. I’m not expecting a 20+ point win; I think it could be close up to 65 mins, and if England are in front at that point, they may have an avenue to the win. Sometimes game don’t go to form.

But everything I’ve seen from this team in the last 18 months gives me confidence we’ll get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Role reversal to many years ago when I was growing up

As a young Irish fan I prayed for it to be lashing rain, that somehow England had an off day and that Ireland could get the rub of the green and get a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Seadin

From watching Ireland and this team, they will get the job done. It won't be a classic and I expect England to come out and make it difficult for us but I think Ireland will pull away after 55 mins. Superior fitness experience and better game management from Ireland to get them over the line. I expect Ireland to beat England by 5+points. If Ireland were to lose it would be a disaster as on paper they are a better team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Very jealous of those with tickets, should be a brilliant game and class atmosphere. Being there to celebrate this magnificent team and group of human beings is a privilege. I don't think the result is in doubt but hopefully the game is a classic.

I'm home with my lad. Teenager who is dying to watch it with me. The lads are meeting in the pub for it but I'm counting blessings that I've a kid who is mad keen for us to watch together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

That's really cool. My lads have no interest. I pinning all my hopes on my 4 year old niece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I would not pop down to local let alone travel to Dublin to watch a match anymore - way more enjoyable sitting at home watching it with the young lad. In 10 years when he legal drinking age, might go back to pub to watch with him

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Shank Williams

Not missing much not being at the game.

Aviva like a funeral home for 5 nations games- the majority of the “fans” are there for the piss up

might be a little bit better than normal today but will still be a poor show v what it should be

You think when he's 18 he'll want to be seen with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Shank Williams

Even if croke park was available the IRFU would use it- they get more of the revenue from the Aviva plus I’m sure there is contracts in place for caterers etc.

see the fact that they won’t limit alcohol sales even though it destroys the atmospheres for proof

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Im sure the reasons are mostly economic and this isnt the place to get into it but the simple fact is that the game is being played in front of 53k while an 83k seat stadium only walking distance away will be empty.

Its actually would be funny if it wasnt so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dentist Roly Meates

I went to croke park once a few years ago to watch a game of hurling - some of the guys managed to grab some tickets for a box. Have to say, it’s a great stadium and pitch - I could see the game of rugby benefitting from the extra seating. No idea what was going on with the hurling tho. Mad game, couldn’t make head or tail what was going on! 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭boetstark

Agree 100%. This island of ours has had more than its share of trouble and division over the years.

This team and irfu have have brought all counties and all identies in the whole island together. From relatives and friends in NI I know that this team is being roared on from shankill rd in Belfast to patrick street in Cork.

Maybe sport can succeed in showing us unity and F##ck the politics.

Come on Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If you think its hard to follow try playing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Hopefully the Irish fans get they’re early & get right behind the team, Was at the France match this year & their fans were unbelievable.

Form goes out the window on a day like this, Massive pressure on both sides.

I hope they do it it’ll be historic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Some of us go back a damn site further than that. We embraced the plucky underdogs title in the 60s and 70s. The battling performance for 60mins, if we were lucky before the inevitable defeat.

We just don't do favourites, do we? We feel uncomfortable to be given the title. Every pundit you read or see from across the Rugby World fancies us to win. And yet as supporters we're uncomfortable.

I'm finding it difficult myself to be honest. This Ireland team are playing some of the best Rugby I have ever seen in my life. No matter what is thrown at them they respond.

I have a fine Brandy and Cuban cigar waiting patiently for my attention. Let's hope they are not kept waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭A-Train

I’m never comfortable when a team is more or less written off in the lead up to a match ie Leinster v Munster in 2009. It’s a 1 off match more or less so anything can happen.

Hopefully Ireland have shown they can deal with pressure and adapt to anything thrown at them during a match. So I’ll take any sort of Ireland win now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭McFly85

Form doesn’t really go out the window. England may have a point to prove but they don’t look capable of proving it.

If Ireland have shown anything in this tournament is that they’re not easily rattled, whatever is thrown at them - so it’s really unlikely we’ll see them put in a poor performance while England somehow pull a huge performance out of pretty much nothing.

England can win this game but I really can’t see how they do it without a disaster for Ireland with injuries or an early red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

This is a more recent example-

anyway, let’s hope that my nervousness is misplaced and we will get a good result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,755 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

May every Irish player have the game of their life and may we prevail!

I won't be happy until kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭LowOdour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Hope all those lucky enough to get tickets have a great day. What a game to be at. Was trying every contact I had to get a ticket but no joy.

I've the rib roast ready to go into the oven and cans are chilling. Out now to run the legs off the nipper and then couch for the rest of the day.

Hope the lads do themselves justice today and put in a performance. Hopefully we are all posting here later tonight extolling a grand slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I've to go to funeral in Cork, the family changed the viewing time at the funeral home to 4-5pm to allow folks go and see the game afterwards.

The unfortunate deceased wouldn't have had it any other way if she was still around.

As a Connacht fan, I hope Bundee and Mack have a good game. Ireland by 10+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Can England win this game? Of course they can.

everybody I’ve talked to says England can win but they don’t no how. Anything can happen.

Its gonna go to the wire I’m sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Form doesn’t really go out the window

Exactly

Of course England can win but they need to improve significantly AND Ireland need to get significantly worse than they have been all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dentist Roly Meates

100% correct sir. It’s a sad fact that today our game seems to be the only one that crosses the border and brings like-minded brethren together. Stand shoulder to shoulder lads all the way from Larne to Leinstre!!! COME ON IRELAND!! 😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭dublin49

England have a sluggers chance,imagine Genge will be up to his old tricks,hopefully the ref has been informed what to look for.

Apologies. A joke. You're going to love teenage years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The difference being, Leinster were playing great rugby at that point. The only reason they weren’t expected to win, was because it was against Munster. This England team are playing the worst they have played in a very long time. The expectation is based purely on visible form.

Advertisement