Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I wonder is it the case that the child has changed his mind in the last couple of weeks about his gender identity and the parents are trying to row back a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Water John

And it doesn't matter to us or the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Tork

All of this new information is nothing but a distraction from the main issue. It's the equivalent of a guilty person trying to escape prosecution because of a typo on a court summons. Let's not forget that Enoch is where he is because of his behaviour alone. Other routes were available to him but he spurned them in favour of trying to bully his way into getting the solution he wanted. That's why he is in the trouble he's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,332 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Burke being the subject of the thread - so that IS relevant.

There are contextual parimeters to every thread. The initial dispute is the same: child requeste pronounds, Burke had a meltdown. Nothing has changed. Is the school oblighed to tell the parents? Not if the child is 16+, and/or requests that the school do not inform the parents.

The WBC have stated that they are not going to help him and disagree with the way about how he made his stance: their opinion is that the law must always be respected.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The student’s parent disagrees with you on who requested the use of pronouns.

I really don’t think you are in a position to set parameters on what element of this debacle should or should not be discussed, you didn’t seem to get to animated when there were multiple posts about credit cards/mortgages/“sightings”/gofundme posts etc, so why do you believe information about the parent’s viewpoint, data breaches, errors in who actually met with the parents when this all began, deserves not to be discussed in the context of this thread?

In relation to the WRC, as Ammi has shown, decisions can be appealed in the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The difference is that when you are gossiping about the parents and student and speculating on what might have happened or could happen or who said what in private meetings is invading the privacy of people who have enough to put up with.

They may or may not even be aware of this thread but that doesn't matter either, un-informed gossip and muck-stirring adds nothing to the discussion.

The Burkes and their carry-on, including their financial affairs, is open season, they have brought it on themselves, but leave irrelevant people out of it.

Well as the parents have said that they didn’t ask for they/them pronouns I don’t know why you are insisting that he be referred to in that way? Can you explain?

Are you saying that there wasn’t an email from the parent relating to who was at the meeting and what was discussed?

There is a newspaper article, it was linked yesterday, I hardly think Boards posters are making it more widely known that what was said and who was there is being disputed between the parent and school.

I do agree though, speculating on backpedaling, disagreements between parents, why only one addended the meeting, why the parent emailed the school, is distasteful. Whatever their reasons are for contacting the school and disputing their record of events, they obviously have good ones.

I have no idea whether there was an email, and I don't care because it is irrelevant to this thread. And are you really going to take newspaper articles as actual fact? They are only as reliable as the journalist writing the stuff and the sub-editor who doesn't much care so long as it makes a good story.

• Advertisement

So you believed all the media reports concerning the background to this case up to the point where the narrative has shifted considerably.

Now the newspapers suddenly aren’t to be believed…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There's something not right about this newspaper article.

Your child is non-binary, you go to the school to have a meeting to discuss the implications of such.

A couple of months later, your child's school is at the centre of a national controversy involving a non-binary student.

And it never occurred to them it could be their child? Come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,920 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's a co-ed school and we don't know who the student is, so, regardless of what the student requested, using they/their is correct in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭GarfieldandPookyBear

The court records have the background of the case. The Burkes behaviour can be seen on video at various meetings, courts. I don’t speak for everyone obviously but most on here seem to rely on the actual facts on court records rather than newspaper articles that are not necessarily factual but an opinion of a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A Its against site rules

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/110864714/#Comment_110864714

B Its disrespectful given that the school has stated "The student was clear that they did not want to use their previous gender-specific pronouns "

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

They do have actual quotes from court affidavits though, they're not just going to make them bits up

The child is trans, they didn't 'request' they/them pronouns, so when it was reported that a child had requested to be referred to by they/them pronouns they could easily have thought it was another student, who identifies as non-binary not transgender

Having quotes from affidavits does not make a whole newspaper article factual. Come on now ….

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

According to the only article that I've found that mentions the email the student made it clear that they did not wish to use their previous gender-specific pronouns at all. And that all present at the meeting, including the parent and the student, agreed that the they/them pronouns would be used going forward.

I couldn't say why the request to use a different name wasn't accompanied by the specific pronouns they wanted used. I've known people who prefer no pronouns be used, i.e. only using their name to refer to them. I've known people who are fine with any pronouns being used for them, i.e. he/she/they and sometimes even it. I've known people who are fine with any pronouns except the ones that they were assigned at birth, i.e. assigned she/her at birth and are now fine with he/him or they/them but not she.

I could see the school balking at any of those, preferring to have a specific set of pronouns for people to use to make it as easy and straightforward as possible. And so they all agreed that they/them would be the most appropriate. The parent's email just says that they/them came from Wilson's rather than the student, not that they or their child objected to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If you believed all the previous articles about this case you would think that Burke was sacked for his stance on a transgender/non-binary student. Taking a newspaper article completely at face value is naive.

• Advertisement

"the they/them pronoun came from Wilson’s”

-------

“The student’s parent’s email could be interpreted as a suggestion the change in pronouns was a decision by the school and the school alone.

“However, I understand from my enquiries of the two members of staff who were at the meeting that is not the case.

“The student was clear that they did not want to use their previous gender-specific pronouns and all, including the parent, agreed that ‘they/them’ would be used going forward in the school.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Tork

So what's the aim of all of this? To say that it was acceptable for Enoch to protest in the manner he did? Because that's what I'm picking up from all of this.

I’m picking up the same but the facts of what this case are about doesn’t change. The student or what they want, did want, doesn’t want has no relevance to the case. Enoch’s behaviour at work causing his dismissal and his failure to follow court orders is what this case is about but as you may have seen on Twitter, people get easily distracted and facts get forgotten.

Exactly. The student wanted to be known by a new name. They also didn't want the pronouns they were assigned at birth used for them. One of the staff members present suggested people use the they/them pronouns for the student. Everyone, including the student, the parent that was at the meeting, and the school staff members present agreed. And so at some point later the principal sent out the request to all staff that the new name and pronouns be used for the student. Then Burke flipped out and we ended up here.

No you wouldn’t. Nonsense. Do you think the school wouldn’t demand an apology from the newspapers if they alleged that he was sacked over his religious beliefs? Utterly ridiculous statement.

Papers have been claiming it all along, despite the fact that it has been made very clear both by the school and the courts repeatedly that he was fired over his behavior. I doubt that the school is interested in trying to fight that kind of battle with any newspapers.

What is utterly ridiculous is anyone continuing to seriously pretend that Burke was fired over anything other than his actions.

Can you find anything from me that indicates that I exclusively believed media reports at any stage of this discussion? I have read them, but any definitive opinions are based on court documents and video of events.

Your post reminds me of that meme where someone says on Twitter 'I like pancakes' and the twitteratti demand 'why do you hate waffles'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

We don’t have individual pronouns, that’s not how language works. We do however have our own names.

As the child is a boy (I believe) there is nothing disrespectful calling the child a boy and referring to him as “they/them” is appalling use of English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Do you believe everything in newspapers and as be previously stated are you sure that there is not more than one student involved in this. End of the day Enoch made this himself to where it’s now today and will suffer in the long run for mammy, so trying to keep proding is not going to change what Burke’s have done.

Advertisement