Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Acosta

Claire Bryne will probably get it. She already has "light entertainment" experience with CB Live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭squonk

Just thinking, Why not put it on hiatus for a bit. Resurrect it for a few specials over the coming year and get the toy man back for the toy show but do something different on Friday nights for a change. Maybe bring it back in a year or two when there has been time to get a presenter of their choice and the audience appetite has built up again.

like us all, sometimes when you’ve a bad run of things for a a while you need to take a bit of time off and regroup.

They won’t do this of course.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Looks like a training bike for the Late Show gig.

Dwindling viewer figures, I'd say he was definitely pushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think the 400 k a year he was on will soften the blow a bit.

• Advertisement

He is the worst interviewer in the history of RTE television

O’Connor is only good in his comfort zone , clueless ignorant horrible interviewer for anything else

Anton savage

Sean moncreif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Bertie Ahern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

was tubridy hinting last night that he was sacked to make way for a woman?

imangine the outcry if it was the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

A terrible choice if she gets it.

She's not suitable for this type pf programe at all. She drones in and on about the HSE and the virus. Boring. No wit. No imagination. Dull. monotonous voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭batman75

If you mean in terms of taking an excessive wage then yes. She wasn't a bad broadcaster but not a heavyweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

She was the most paid presenter on RTE at the time given her small workload , just a weekend show, she was on 358.000 euros in 2019 and that was actually reduced down alot given the controversy over it. They talk about gender pay gaps, it works the other way in RTE land aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Whoever thinks RTE will retire the show are off their head.

Isn't it the world's longest running chat show? Rte play on this and there is no way they will lose that feather in their cap.

It will keep going, but they really need to give it a revamp. Shorten it, less of the aimless specials. Try to get at least the odd big name guest back on, instead of the usual faces from the rte canteen 3 times each season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

There's one option which nobody seems to have mentioned - bring back Gaybo!

I know a lot of it will have been wiped but surely there's enough material still left to re-run some of the classic shows over again.

Maybe the reason it's the longest running chat show is that other broadcasters make realistic decisions and know when it's time to call it a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Tommy Teirnan, Lucy Kennedy or Kathryn Thomas.

You know it’s sad but I actually think they believe that it’s time for a change alright to keep with the times and they can stick any old presenters in there because the audience are accustomed to tuning in and it’ll be great having a woman doing it for the first time. So they will just give the god to the person they feel is the most suitable grim the stable regardless of talent or ability. Your time has come Claire Byrne.

what they don’t get is that the steady audience are people of my parents generation (in their 70s) who kind of tune in from a lifetime’s habit but I’d say any of the younger demographics are not switching on and I wonder if anyone under say 40 even cares?

Hell even my parents now are complaining and switching on the satellite stations.

Hi back to being a variety show with items to suit all viewers. When was the last time there was a staccato on, or interview the band after they’ve played something. Sim for a broad selection of music and do it live and get the studio staff to do it properly. Sick of seeing musical actors either miming or performing in an atmosphere you’d find at a funeral.

we’re not all obsessed with rugby, GAA and soccer either so carry the money instead of pulling from that pool every other week, although thats RTE in general. The same 5 sports get all the big coverage and good luck if you’re competing in any other field.

You don’t need atom Cruise or Will Ferrell every two weeks either. We have lots of actors doing the rounds on US TV shows. Talk to them. Why interview someone from fast city when you could grab say Orla Brady for instance.

It’s pure laziness really. I know you can’t have a spectacular Sue every week but at least look like you’re trying. The production staff look like they’re phoning it in, sitting on their arses and delighted with the cushy number but the penny is starting to drop. Big clear out really and start again. If you’re moving Tubbs, get rid of the wasters behind the scenes as well.

Out in tge real world the show would be axed or if it was desirable to save it, the staff would be axed and replaced with a more competent bunch. Time for Dee to actually start running the organisation instead of constantly complaining.

• He definitely was pushed, the biting of his lower lip is very telling when he discusses it.

• Advertisement

• Spot on! The production team have been sitting on their low laurels for a long time, content to produce show after in memorable show with at best illuminating and at worst highly depressing content. I remember one night going to bed crying for little other reason than the entire show was horrendously dispiriting, and I only watched it to follow the thread that night and sorry I did.

• With hologram and AI technology tenet could re-create an interactive Gay live on air, as it were. He’d have more in his database than Tubridy ever could.

I’m sure to hear that. It just confirms one of my big concerns with the show overall. Life nowadays is much more stressful than it used to be. People are working harder, commuting further and have generally more to contend with than other generations. I know things were hard for those generations too and I’m not belittling that but society was more cohesive so you were likely be near your family who were in a position to help during hard times.

i don’t think it’s much to ask for a show at the end of the week that allowed you to forget about the other stuff going on in your life for a while. There really isn’t any value in dragging down somebody who is having a hard time even further. That’s why their ratings are falling. That’s why changing the face of the show went stem that dropping flow. Tubbs didn’t Geo of course but grass just the scapegoat here.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,487 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I hope they don't follow your advice.

In some circumstances in life taking time out to regroup can make sense but not in show business.

You have to keep the lights on or people will forget about you.

The show must go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Some of these posts contain good points but are almost incomprehensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Dee Forbes was adamant on the news the other night that the show will continue and most definitely will be back next season.

If Ryan was pushed, it's possible that the decision was made some time ago and maybe they have already come up with a replacement presenter/format.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Alfonso Massive Scholarship

obnoxious, unlikeable and sex obsessed - i doubt they give it to her for the audience they target - over 60's...and i can see people digging up stuff of her being a cnut on Republic of Telly

No idea why some think Lotty Ryan as her weekend radio show tanked and she's going to be only allowed to cover when someones sick/holidays and/or read the "entertainment" news on 2fm till she retires...

I’m sure they have their decision made but Caitriona Perry seemed like the golden girl in RTE at one point. You’d have to think she’d have as good a chance as Claire Byrne really though they haven’t given her a talk show. She ticks some of the boxes though, young, strong in the political stuff but maybe lacking or unproven with everything else. Unlike Claire Byrne though she hasn’t had the chance to blot her copybook

• Advertisement

What's not to like about Bertie in a gig like this, personable and intriguing!

Advertisement