Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v England Grand Slam Decider 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

If I remember correctly, Ireland found it hard to beat England at the third game of the Slam also in 2009. Things were so desperate that BOD had to take a drop goal to establish a lead in that game. It was a very tight and physical game that day as well. BOD got a battering that day physically by England but the great man survived it.

2018 was more of a convincing campaign except at Paris where Sexton magic saved us the day. They were almost beaten that day. I remember having a great feeling after that game with Ireland had a great shot at the Slam and that turned out to be.

We won 2023 Slam in convincing fashion, maybe the negatives were the first 20 minutes against Scotland where they struggled to get control of the game and today's game against England wasn't their best performance but Ireland still full deserving winners overall.

Hopefully they can now continue the form into the RWC and with a bit of luck along the way get past QF stage of RWC. It's the next milestone the Irish team needs to achieve before having a shot at the RWC title. Only time will tell I guess but we are in a good position to challenge for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Joma4good

Yeah, I noticed that too, didn’t look altogether friendly but might be wrong, Sinkler is a bit deep into behavioural psychology these days, or maybe just wanted gardening advice😉

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Have to agree with those saying the crowd were poor, and the whole "tense, holding their breath" thing is bunkum. Those tense, tight games are where the atmosphere is needed most, thats the last place you need the crowd getting quiet just because their butts are clenched.

No point singing when the game is done for **** sake.

Fair play to Ireland, but without the cards they don't win that game. Personally I couldn't give a shite about it because for me its all about the world cup, but what I seen today didn't reassure me at all. Thats exactly the sort of performance gets you dumped on your ass among the world cup also rans.

The same lads blowing all week about how easy today would be will piss all over this post as well. No worries. I know they will disappear come the inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Our corner of the lower east was hopping ! Thought the atmosphere was good actually, anthems spine tingling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I thought todays one was definitely an unfortunate consequence of far sterner laws.

Lot of neutrals on various comment sections sore about red cards ruining "bloody good test matchs" ...best "bloody good test match" I recall was the all blacks game in the Aviva after Chicago..which actually warranted being ruined by a red card or two ..that's the flip side.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Don't really post or read here much anymore but I'll always come on to lol at t*ts like this after a legendary win ♥️ ☺️ 😊

Edit, don't think I replied properly but obviously i was replying to the negative t*t above

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm delighted with the win, but disappointed with the performance. I thought we were very poor. Ryan, Baird and POM played well. Lowe, Furlong and Sexton were poor.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

How anyone can think Lowe played poorly is beyond me. The reads he made in defence were nothing short of exceptional in vital moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I thought he was loose with the ball. He tried to make things happen. He wasn't the worst but, he wasn't his usual self. That said, we were very flat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Would have been closer if we’d faced 15 for the whole match. England played their natural game and were better for it, Itoje was closer to his best and Tuilagi showed some spark. We had a few problems in the set pieces. Let’s hope Furlong can recapture his form - he put in lots of tackles but made quite a few errors today. Doris didn’t shine. What a player Sheehan is, though. I didn’t think we’d see better than Kelleher for a long time. Bundee anchored the team when we were wobbling and Henshaw looks like he’s coming back. Baird is incredible in the loose and seems solid enough in the scrum too where I doubted him. Hansen was superb.

If Farrell can keep this form up in France, he’ll deserve inclusion in that strange Irish sporting pantheon of gruff English northerners alongside McCarthy and Big Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Really today was about just getting the result any which way. The level of talk about this game was huge and no one expected anything but a win. The pressure to deliver was massive. Even going back over the years for people with little or no interest in rugby England was always a big game and you had the home grand slam on St Patricks weekend etc. The eyes of the island was on this team with the background threat there that you better not f##k this up. The whole level of expectation would sit really uncomfortably on any team.

England are in a no man's land at the moment but its still England. They were never going to take another hiding this week.

I think the first half was very haphazard but we had got a handle on the game by the red card. I was confident that going for half time we'd pull through after ht but the red changes the whole game. It was disappointing to me it put a dampener on the game. I hate seeing red cards unless unavoidable.

The big concern for me moving forward is that while we generally finish games well, in the 3rd quarter of late our scoring stats have been terrible and again today we lost our way for a while. It was mainly self inflicted in that England never carried a significant threat of a try until we switched off late on but while they had a foothold it piled the pressure on us.

At key junctures and particularly at 10-9 I thought the majority of the crowd was terrible. I could imagine if it was for example Thomond Park in a big European game or Wales in Cardiff going for a grand slam and the home team had lost their way the crowd would be getting into everything. It sounded like a morgue. Even when Ryan Baird got that turnover at 10-9 it was a huge moment and most of the crowd didn't seem bothered to rise from their slumber.

For now it's back to the provincial action. Hopefully the provinces finish their seasons strongly and we build momentum towards the autumn.

We have a grand slam and a series win in New Zealand and we've beaten all the major contenders in the last 12 months but we still have lots to be working on so hopefully lots to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

I wasnt at the game, watched it on tv. They broadcast the refs mic during the checks.

For all the circular talk I've seen around this game the main thing is that we won and we have a Grand Slam. The scoreline was always of relatively low importance once we achieved that. The performance was less than ideal but that's a matter for a Monday review after the lads have had some time to celebrate and enjoy their achievement properly. The team will learn a lot more from dealing with England's game plan under stress today than they ever could have from the big win people were talking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If we were to win the World Cup, nobody would give a flying figroll if the performance was flawed, flawless or flukey.

Neither should they care today regarding points etc, it’s still England.

remember we had an opponent who was playing for large parts of the 80, up to the line and over it as regards the laws, because good old Jaco and co. facilitated it… a team of officials who enabled it consistently…. Should clearly have been another red, a few English forward passes missed by the touch judges and other craic.

We won every game, on average 30 points scored per game, on average 14 conceded….

job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

how many of that england team were at the last wc semi final? the performances this year have been way under par for the players.

also Owen farrell should get a yellow card almost every game for no arm tackles never mind the off the ball shoulder charge on sexton.

england came came out to rough up ireland and they got the rewards for that game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Appreciate this was a 4am post but the penalty count was 13-7 in our favour, and England had a red and yellow card. A lot of refs would have given Steward a yellow if even that.

Not sure how Peyper was "facilitating" England.

What was the offence that "clearly" should have been another red?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It looked odd, with POM aggressively pointing, but if I had to wager it was probably POM picking him up. Like "No you're class, don't be down on yourself " type thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

In the 2nd half England did a great job of trying to disrupt us by slowing the game down and kicking at every opportunity, but it shows how good this irish team is that they hung in there and still showed their class over a mediocre team, the handling mistakes were a worry and I think the co-hesivness that Rongrose gives the backing was sorely missed although Henshaw had a great game considering how little rugby he's played, also what's to be done with Baird when Beirne returns, surely he had to fit in somewhere in the starting line up

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I was in the stadium and thought the atmosphere was really good for most of it. I got a text from home at half time saying same thing and was surprised by that. The English tried twice to get Swing Low going and were sung/shouted down. Everyone in seats before kickoff, only had to get up for people going out near half time. Everyone stayed to for team to do lap.

Wasnt always pretty but Jesus we have the Slam, we handled everything thrown at us injury wise over it. Johnny got the send off he deserved, what a day. I’ll remember it for a long time. One bad thing about virtual tickets is not having it to hand. Will print it out and put it with the one from the NZ win.

Will watch game back now today, slam is ours!

Hope the under 20’s do same today, the future is bright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

What was the atmosphere like? Sounded poor for a lot of it? Edit read your response to someone else. Maybe the TV sound was turned down for crowd noise.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I was east too cristo and thought it was as almost as good as NZ win which was best I’ve ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

You have to factor in the incompetence of Virgin media when discussing the sound quality. They have form for getting the sound mix all wrong. The crowd noise was damped down way too much and McIntyres mic was dialled up way too high. The usual from them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Yeah I just edited my last post to say that it coulda been a TV issue haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,178 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So, a GS is meaningless to you, and only a WC championship trophy counts?

I said this earlier , so many complaints about how England played and the ref, I just think any other fan base would be so happy with what they have achieved that they wouldn’t really care about a couple of decisions.

Every game thread this tournament has been full of complaints about the refs and the other teams style. I saw some complaints about the scrum penalties yesterday but it was clear as day Ireland we’re turning in wheeling the scrum, that’s not the ref riding you, just giving the correct decision.

just appreciate what you have done, it’s been hugely impressive and you feel there’s more to come ( very difficult draw admittedly).

Nah people love complaining about officiating , I am often one of them. Any other fanbase would have the exact same section of fans.

It’s a very difficult one, I’m in no way downplaying the importance of head injuries, that’s has to take precedent over everything else.

Its so hard in a game like rugby with the speed and intensity though to get these calls right, you’re going to be in a position soon where multiple players could be sent off each match or alternatively the game will have to be played in a different way. I like the 20 minute yellow they have in super rugby for those borderline calls but I concede it’s not an easy one for refs at all.

Fair enough, I love complaining as much as the next person but don’t think I would care too much if I were in your shoes today!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'm really disappointed to read quite a significant number of people trying to mitigate for Freddie Stewart's actions.

If he used that split second to open up his arms and attempt to tackle Keenan (like most amateur and professional players would have done), instead of turning his body in the way that he did, he would have stayed on the pitch.

Actions have consequences. Stewart knew exactly what he was doing by turning his body like that.

Advertisement