Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I'm thinking he knows who they are at this stage. But he'll need cover and cover that has had games. At this stage we have two games. Could lose the last two games and not go further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Paddico

CBS Tipperary. Their first final I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,012 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

O'Mara at full back two games running, could be the end of the Breen project.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Could be. Does that mean it's the end of Kennedy up front too? Is this the first time Kian K makes the subs bench for an official game? Think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Good win, but plenty to be done. We struggled badly against a sweeper and persisted with long ball. Red card totally changed tactics from Waterford and Tipp mopped up in the finish.

• Advertisement

The long ball at the beginning of the second half was weird. I was thinking they're just trying something out here. Good to try these things - find out what works, what doesn't, against particular opposition.

Alan Tynan has a lot to figure out about defending on the backfoot. But he has time. Jake could have had three in each half. Bonnar should have a couple of goals too.

Bench is getting stronger. We've options. It will be a lot better when we can get a lot of those players off the injury list too.

I can still see maybe four to five changes to that starting team for championship.

Davy really went for this. Messing about with the team he put out in the programme. Super charged on the line. But the team looked imbalanced.

That all said. The league is the league is the league. But both teams found out a lot without showing too much either. Ideally we'd have played the game without having to play Jason but good to see we could win a half of hurling without him.

Hopefully Callanan is alright. Didn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

league maybe but it found a championship pace at times tonight , as you say waterford were going for it , and they imploded i would worry about them the ill discipline in my opinion is coming from the sideline

the finishing for the 4 goals excellent , however 15 v 15 when tipp were ran at they looked vulnerable especially in the first half ,, waterford had two or 3 goal chances and didnt take them

the commentators on tipp fm maintain Callanan's injury was a dead leg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Good display this evening. Great finishing by jake but I'd say all goalkeepers will note that all 3 were lashed off the ground in front of the goalkeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭farmerval

God I thought 15 on 15 Tipp were the better team, actually when Waterford were forced to go long in their puck outs Tipp well had the measure of them. Tipp started the second half extremely lethargically, very reactive rather than pro-active. Had absolutely no clue how to manage a sweeper.

Breen will never be a full back, really don't know what's going on there.

Bonnar had a good effect overall, I thought in the first half you could really see him and Jake forming a partnership. You'd imagine he'd be a good foil for Forde as well. Morris takes the high risk option when trying to win ball, he's always flicking it in a way that if it works out he's away into space. I wonder is that why he looks poorer the further from goal he goes, into more crowded spaces. I couldn't understand under Sheedy why he kept sending Jake chasing out into midfield, it really isn't his game.

Mark Kehoe still looks like he has a lot to do to stake down a place. Would he be better out the field???

I'd say with confidence, that won't be the backline configuration in the championship.

I'm not sure on the stats but I do think we had more chances than Waterford for goals.

The best part, and it is only the league, we don't look like we're going to lie down for teams like last year. I hope so any way. I hope we turn up with real steel and a bit of fight unlike last year. That's of paramount importance.

Hopefully we get to play Limerick in the semi - we will know a lot about our players after playing Limerick.

I've heard he has to go for a scan and it could be ligaments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Happy enough with that. Thought we dominated the first half without having to break a sweat really, had a good 3-4 decent goal chances other than the one we got.

Second half, Waterford came out all guns blazing and we seemed to have made a big tactical switch to go long inside at every opportunity. It was so different to what we were doing in the first half that it simply has to have been to try it out, as mentioned above. Which is great, do that stuff in the league.

It wasn't working too well though, and Waterford were able to get a lot of scores as we dropped ball onto their full back line to come away with and build attacks. Think they upped their intensity a lot here, probably took us by surprised how hard they were going at it in the 2nd half.

Always felt that if we wanted to win the game we would, we settled down, got the 2nd goal and I was extremely confident that we would win with 15v15. Lot of scraps in the 2nd half, Davy obviously told them to get more physical which led to a lot of off the ball stuff - and after the red card we took over and won pulling up. Easily could have scored 8-9 goals.

The league means very little, as proved last year for Cork/Waterford/Limerick, but I'm quite happy about how it is going for us. We look massively improved from the shambles of last year. No reason why we can't come out of Munster, just as good a chance as anyone bar Limerick.

From half time to the red card we left Waterford with criminal amount of space to build from the back. We seemed to have no counter to De Burca sweeping. We actually started the second half very lethargically. Our backs at large are slow, we're very vulnerable to fast runners off the shoulder, we coughed up two or three goal chances in the second half very easily.

When we forced them to puck out long in the first half we gobbled them up. They had no answer.

In the second half in Nolan park we backed off a bit too, when David Blanchfield came on that day we backed off and left him dominate for a while. If we get Limerick in a semi it will be an another interesting lesson to see how new players and new combinations stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

I disagree that tipp could not deal with the sweeper system or the red card charged the game

Start of second half tipp pushed their players into very defensive positions and played long ball up to a two man forward line - cahill was doing this on purpose to see how it go

Start of second half the waterford players started hitting very hard and dirty and tipp players decided to reply in kind and won pulling up.

Tipp looking way better than last year

Liam Kearns.... :( RIP

- Led Tipp to the all-ireland semi final in 2016. Ended losing championship run to Cork, leading to the wins over Derry and then Galway in Croke Park.

- Beat Armagh in Armagh in 2017 to win promotion to Division 2

- Got Tipp within one point of Division 1 football in 2018

Who knew manager Liam Kearns was such a good singer?! | The Tipperary footballers were out on Sunday night in Rody Bolands celebrating a wonderful season! Who knew manager Liam Kearns was such a good singer?!... | By Humans of the GAA | Facebook

(1) 👨🏻‍✈️Liam Kearns tells a funny story from managing Tipperary club Aherlow - YouTube

Very sad what he done especially with Limerick and tipp is sensational

But he was a great character and not short of the controversy stakes

Himself and Colm Collins were always good friends but that friendship was put to the sword back in 2018

It was a roasting hot day in the Clare centre of excellence Clare had been battered by Kerry in Munster and we're looking for a confidence booster before a game against Offaly in the qualifiers

We played tipp in what was supposed to be 3 20 minute period with the last 20 resevered for squad players

In the 3rd period Clare emerged with the extended 15 while John sent out Michael quinlivan and his best 15 available

They hammered us in the process , a huge row developed between Collins and kerins but kerins wasn't backing down even though it was a challenge game it was still important to the man

Collins and kerins remind friends after dispte the break down in law and order that night , for example we have played Offaly 3 times this year in challenge games

John would have been heavily ear marked as Colm Collins replacement

Seamie out for 6-8 weeks with a medial knee ligament injury

• Registered Users Posts: 18,012 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Probably his season over, Seamie has always needed lots of action to be in top shape. Pity as I think it was probably his last year, he's been unlucky. Injuries really starting to bite.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Not ideal. But Seamie has a lot of running in his legs so far and hasn't missed a pre-season. He will lose fitness but he still might make the last two rounds as an option. Yeah, he's at that age now where the body is going against him.

I would have rested Tynan. Would have liked to see Pauric Campion and Cian O'Dwyer start.

Good to see John McGrath and Mark Kehoe start. Would Kehoe do better out the field? Think he played on the half line in the Dillon Quirke match? Nice to see Enda Heffernan back too.

• Advertisement

i know nothing about Heffernan at wing back , mark has all the makers of a midfielder and a 3rd midfielder at that hes a good grafter and dirty ball winner more so then a score getter

i have huge time for the mcgrath family from loughmore, so delighted to see him back , an RTE podcast done the rounds this week of how to silence the cusack pk crowd like galway did last week , no one was paying any attention to what he done to us in 2019

great lad with a fantastic attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

It's a very tough draw that Tipperary got this year in the Championship. Clare in Ennis and Cork in Cork in the first 2 rounds. How is that fair?

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

I feel that Cork in Cork is like Tipp in Thurles, everyone is used to playing there, the home advantage is less pronounced. Absolutely no-one wants to go to Waterford or Ennis!!!!!

Cork in Cork is winnable, unfortunately for Cork everyone fancies that they could beat them!! If you look in the Waterford thread the Deise brethern feel Cork in their second game will be crucial for qualifying.

Ultimately win your two home games and you will get out of Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Tipp in Thurles is definately not as big an advantage as Clare in Ennis. There's no doubt about that. Cork in Cork is a tough match in my view. I agree that its winnable and Limerick gave them a good beating there last year. Limerick don't see the Gaelic Grounds as a big advantage for them either but it kind of is. Limericks support is massive and they've an advantage there straight away

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

The clare game is huge. Win and we could beat one of Cork or waterford to have a good chance to getting out of munster, lose and we have to beat Cork and waterford. very difficult

With the way Clare GAA is going and playing games with other teams, the senior match will end up in the Wolfe Tones grounds in Shannon - with a day's notice to go with it.

No 17 Pauric Campion replaces no 7 John Campion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

They've a huge following right now as its the best Limerick team of all time, understandable and every teams following would get a bounce if they had a team of that quality.

the lads ruining the asylum at the moment are much better then daveys father or joe cooney a dodgy local politician they were notorious for this caper i am actually surprised with the current board and how they are handling the minors game

• Advertisement

How does the Clare minor set up feel about it?

Advertisement