Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economist & Policy Analyst Graduate Role

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Protoman

From memory, this was a challenging but fun excercise that required you to go through several documents on a particular policy issue / challenge. I think they were actual internal civil service documents and we labelled as such unusually.

I did pretty well on this and concentrated on basic principles of policy analysis like the Five E's:

Effectiveness - How well does it work (or how well will it be predicted to work)?

Efficiency -How much work does or will it entail? Are there significant costs associated with this solution, and are they worth it?

Ethical considerations - Is it ethically and morally sound? Are there unintended consequences

Evaluations of alternatives - How good is it compared to other approaches? Have all the relevant other approaches been considered?

Establishment of recommendations for positive change - What can actually be implemented? Is it better to amend, replace, remove, or add a policy?

You should be able to display a small bit of number crunching if there's data in there (if only to display you can do it under time constraints, nothing to mad), but most of all, try to have a nimble mind about the excercise and show you're considering all permutations - you'll likely to be asked to rank your favoured policy proposals and have a short paragraph defending your choices. And be prepared to back up what you say from the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 louisejam

Hi folks, thought I'd revive this thread! Thankfully enough I'd passed the interview stage and was told my OOM was 20-25, and a month later today I've moved up the panel three spaces... I'm wondering if this pace indicates I could be quite a while waiting to hear back about moving to the clearance stage, or maybe the pace could (hopefully!) pick up in the near future? 

Also, out of curiosity I wonder does anybody know if working from home/hybrid work format is feasible with this role- from an accessibility point of view I'm really banking on this! Curious to hear other people's thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭exitstageleft

Hey Louise,

The previous panel was used up fully so you'll almost certainly be called at some stage. I'd say it'll be sooner than later too since IGEES recruits are looked on favorably in a lot of departments so your skills are in demand.

The blended working really depends on what unit you land in but you'll definitely have some options, most likely either 2 or 3 days at home / in office.

Thanks for that insight exitstageleft! Really reassuring to know that I'll hopefully be offered a position- even it does mean it'll be a while away yet. The blended working aspect of the job would be really handy too... it wasn't specified anywhere on the job specs where the role could be based, so in my head I'd assumed WFH could be a possibility. Otherwise, if it's Dublin-based I'll be stuck having to commute 2 hrs each way, which would not be ideal!! How are other people who are waiting to hear back or even those who are in the job currently finding it? 

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AssimilAj

Hi Louisejam, I actually got called to clearance last week so hopefully we won't be waiting long. Does anyone know how long it usually takes between getting called to clearance and actually starting work?

Also, thanks to everyone who shared their experiences on this thread over the last few years. Being able to look back over them was a great help throughout the process.

• Advertisement

Ah that’s great news! Can I ask what was your OOM @AssimilAj ? (:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭TheIrishPC

I keep an eye on this thread every now and then. I got this position April last year, and so I'm nearly a year into the role. I was also 27th, and a total of 35 on the panel joined between April and September 2022, so it should be pretty similar this year. IGEES is great to be part of and you'll get lots and lots of training throughout the year.

Various AOs get promoted to AP and this leaves numerous AO positions vacant, filled by this panel. We're calling out for IGEES AOs to join actually due to vacancies left by promotions and mobility. After 2 years we're encouraged to move departments to gain experience in the civil service so we can go for that promotion in the future.

As for working from home, it depends on the department how much per week you're allowed. My department has Tuesdays and Wednesdays mandatory in office days, with a third mandatory day every 2 weeks. Other departments it's only 1 mandatory day. It really depends which department you're assigned to.

Looking forward to meeting yous at various IGEES events in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭countyireland12345

Hi all.

Congrats to all those receiving offers. I reached the case study stage for the 2022 IGEES competition last November but unfortunately did not pass it to reach the next stage. The feedback provided by PAS was a little vague and I think I may know where I went wrong, but would anybody be willing to chat more about in PM, and prepare for next time! Thanks!

Hi there! I found the case study assessment a bit funny, particularly as I didn’t really prep at all (I don’t think there was a way you could tbh- the purpose was to test your critical thinking skills and ability to rationally analyse rather than to assess your knowledge). I did find the grilling at the end, which went into detail about what I wrote and why I took a particular stance, a little overwhelming? But then I thought to myself if I failed so far, so be it, and leaned into the idea that this ‘grilling’ is just a constructive chat (and that there weren’t necessarily any “right” answers, so long as you could reason?) where I could bounce ideas off people… that might sound a bit strange, but one basic example of this would be when they had asked me something to the effect of “how do we gauge train users’ experiences with Irish rail”, and I went on to talk about how assessing train users’ experiences would inherently infer a bias in any survey/assessment, as if they’re train users, then chances are they’re somewhat happy with Irish rail, so you’re sort of cherry picking survey responses. So, I presented them a question instead; how do we find and establish a channel of communication between us as survey moderators and the potential Irish rail customers in the future who are currently avoiding the service for whatever reason, as well as currently Irish rail customers? I think going with this tack showed I was able to be a little resourceful in a critical way but also look at the bigger picture? I hope this gives a sense of how my assessment went- when I was finished it, yup I was a little drained, but I also felt stimulated in an energising way?

Also, in other news, I’ve heard from PAS that they’ll be calling on everyone who got on the panel this year- so it’s a matter of when rather than if! Who knows how long it take to work through the panel and get past clearances 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 BigElmo

Have you been called for clearance now @louisejam ?

Does anyone know if IGEES hires the entire batch at once to do mass training all at once, or is it one-by-one as individual positions open? Do you get assigned to DPER or your host department from the start? I have so many questions right now.

• Advertisement

@louisejam that was a great response to the Irish Rail question, well done.

For anyone whose waiting, the garda vetting took about two weeks for me, so don't worry too much about the horror stories about people waiting for months haha.

In my experience, people get called one by one. Training comes up at different times during the year but, depending where you end up, your unit workload can make it hard to get to. If you end up in a department other than PER, you'll probably find your link to IGEES fairly tenuous. Saying that, IGEES recruits are looked on favorably and, at least from what I've seen, they are given work that makes use of their numerecy skills and data analysis.

Yup, I’ve been called now! I’ve submitted my garda vetting form so I’m just waiting to hear back- It’s quite a nerve-wracking process having to wait to hear back as I’m a little concerned there’ll be no consideration for where candidates are based. I live hours away from Dublin and re-locating isn’t an option, I had just assumed that as there was no location specified on the information pack for where the jobs are based, that remote working would be an option for those who don’t live nearby? It would be a bit heart breaking to jump through all these hoops and wait months to hear how I’ve done, only to have to turn down the role simply because of its inaccessible location (that wasn’t specified too)!

Unfortunately @louisejam, almost all every IGEES AO role is Dublin based. There are precious few general AO roles outside the capital and possibly no IGEES ones.

On the plus side, most departments now offer two or three days per week work-from-home. Generally, you can avail of this relatively quickly after starting. It means that people can beHQ-ed in Dublin while living all over the country, albeit with a long commute a couple of days a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭TheIrishPC

Great that you've been called. Garda vetting is a minimum 3 week wait so it will still be a little while yet. It took nearly 2 months from when I submitted forms, to starting my first day. So you might not start until end of May/early June.

I agree with exitstageleft, it is mainly Dublin based. You can commute into Dublin, but it would mean a 5am/6am start to commute on time. You just get placed into a department, no choice. After 2 years in the role you can move departments of your choosing if there is a vacancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bobbitt

Hi everyone, hope you're well. I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find contact info for the Department of Public Expenditure internal HR department? I finished clearance a week ago and I've been assigned there according to the PAS, but they haven't reached out to me yet so I wanted to touch base. The wait is driving me slowly insane haha.

Have you since heard back @Bobbitt ? I’m in a similar boat myself!

I'm still waiting as well, I finished clearance a month ago. I've tried following up with the PAS but no luck yet.

Hi! Hard to believe I’m asking this so many weeks on, but have you heard anything yet? I am still waiting on getting assigned a department 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭kksaints

There's at least two non-Dublin based IGEES AO's that I'm aware of. There also used to be be one at least in Dept of Defence in Kildare but I don't know if they're still there.

• Advertisement

I actually started about a month ago, the job is real, don't worry haha! I know the wait is incredibly frustrating but the work has been really interesting so far and it's definitely worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭countyireland12345

@louisejam Have you got an offer and started yet? Keen to find out if you managed to accept the offer and not have to move to Dublin. I've an offer for a different competition and wondering what the hydrid working set up is. I also would prefer to not move to Dublin.

@AssimilAj Does your department have a hybrid working set up? How many days a week are you in the office?

I’ve been placed 10th on an OOM with the Data Protection Commission for a job at HEO level (completely shocking because it was the hardest interview I’d ever been to and didn’t think I even passed). The job description said there were several vacancies available, so just wondering if anyone knows how likely it is I’ll be offered a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gmor96

Hi guys can I ask how difficult was the interview? I got mine now in January

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Barbarian98

The Interview process is different this year to prior years in its format. So it's hard to tell, I have heard from people with an interview it's a presentation now on a self-selected topic.

Yes that's apparently how it will be. I'm a bit worried about the interview questions, what they'll be asking etc.

Hi guys! Anyone around who got places on the OOM?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 InnIRE

Hi! Yeah, I’m in Batch 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DW92

Yes! Also in batch 1.

• Advertisement

Also batch 1 here! Did you get any info so far? Last I know is that they didn't know how many openings there will be

Advertisement