Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Clashing with Milan San Remo too. Absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Because there are thousands of people like myself who couldn't give a flying fcuk about the rugby and never have, and would much prefer to sit down and watch a football game.

Kerry v Roscommon is on at 7.30 if you didn't notice.

The TV coverage of the league has been great this year, 4 or 5 live games each round.

• If you're not going to the game, you can flick back and over on the telly to check. I was thinking more about those actually attending it. Didn't an Ulster Championship game (Derry v Donegal) in Clones clash with an Ireland Soccer World Cup fixture back in 2002? Hardly anyone turned up until the World Cup game was over. Made the GAA look absolutely stupid if you ask me.

The Galway match is on TV so rights would dictate it can't clash with the later game

Today we have 2 great games to choose from at 5pm. Talk about first world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You're in the vast vast minority there. The majority of people would like to be able to see both, and have an interest in both. The GAA knew that the rugby match was fixed for today. It's extremely shallow for them to organise the Galway Armagh match at the same time. The Irish rugby players are representing their country, which includes Galway and Armagh. I would definately have watched the Galway Armagh game if the rugby wasn't on. But I'm going out to watch the rugby, so thats not possible now.

Do they not generally have one game on a SAturday, and then the other 3 games on the SUnday. Maybe that has changed recently, but I thought that used to be the way.

Also, do you think it is fair to the Galway and Armagh teams, management etc. that they are denied the possibility of watching what could potentially be a massive occasion for Irish rugby - grand slam etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

No interest in rugby myself. Look forward to the Galway v Armagh game after the Dublin v Meath game. Super Saturday for us GAA folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

It's impossible to avoid some conflict. There are 3 Gaelic football games televised today and 3 tomorrow. One of them was always going to clash with the Ireland rugby game.

Funny enough the 4pm French soccer match today is in the rugby mad Toulouse.

Ide say it's all blowing up on Planches.fr

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In England, the BBC and ITV regularly try to spoil each others parties. If there is not a rival sporting event available, they will show a blockbuster movie. Today BBC 1 will have Burnley v Man City in the FA Cup on at the same time as ITV are showing England in the Rugby.

People in Ireland will just have to choose between those two and the Gaelic. Or the dozens of other TV and Radio programmes on at the same time. Or like the majority, not be watching any TV. The car parks in shopping centres will probably not be much less crowded than usual.

But why should the GAA, the largest sporting body in the country have to change their schedule to suit a minority sport like rugby?.

I know the six nations is an international competition and the GAA is unique to Ireland, but in the heel of the hunt the GAA should do things the way that suits them, and having a Div 1 NFL game at 5pm on a Saturday suits them.

• Advertisement

• Will be interesting to see how many punters turn up for the armagh galway game.

Do you think they will stay away because they can watch it on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,651 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Na the rugby should have moved. The match is on TnaG I imagine. This week end both hurling and Football are being played. The choice was put the match on at 5.30 to televise it or if it was on at any other time the at h would not be shown on TV.

Slava Ukrainii

I'd say it will be packed.

Remember the GAA following folk of the north don't give a s**t about rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

• In fairness, yes there’s a good crowd at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Years ago weren't the GAA stubborn during Italy 90 in the soccer. And changed overtime. Ironically many think Dublin v Meath 91' saga 'saved' the GAA.

But jayus, after watching that muck in Navan, these days Dublin v Meath could put people off the GAA.

Personally, sporting clashes that annoy me are when hurling and football clash from the same county. Always seems stupid to me.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It just goes to show that contrary to what the media might tell us rugby is not actually the only game in town, far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭PressRun

Armagh are a strange team. They can be very direct and exciting to watch and then some of their decision making is absolutely woeful.

Only a Dub would think those games saved the GAA.

If we are talking 90s the hurling revolution done way more for the GAA than some Leinster spat.

But the GAA has never needed saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Meath and Kildare are an embarrassment.

Both languishing in D2, Kildare probably going down to D3, big populations, all their players living and working close to home, plenty of money, but nowhere competitive on or odd the field, ramshackle facilities with all the potential resources at their fingertips.

Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

One thing the Rugby consistently does is it gets the crowds out and hypes everything to hilt. The GAA don't do 'hype' - the tactic seems to be sure if people turn up they turn up. If they don't its grand. It is GAA attitude that annoys me.

The league has been great though. Despite the lack of hype, no real marketing to speak of, shite weather for a lot of it etc. The football still has been good. We will have the usual going through the motions until the knockouts as usual in the 'championship'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

One thing the Rugby consistently does is it gets the crowds out and hypes everything to hilt.

But they don't.

On huge international games like today getting the crowd out is easy to do.

Beyond the 6 nations and the odd European game there is a massive drop off in rugby support.

They fail miserably to "get the crowd out".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

in other words like all of us agree get rid of the provincial system , its actually possible that 8 of the 9 ulster counties will be top 16 league teams by the end of 2024

the provincial system is beyond a joke now , in both codes i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

ah no come on , munster are fairly fair weather but the evening mayo played galway in castlebar there was 15 ,000 at that game , it was almost a sellout in the sports ground the same night ,munster in thomand have weak support when things are going bad in fairness but ulster connacht and leinster are not in the same bracket

i once attended a Garryowen v cork con game with thousands at it i often wonder where they are now...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

joe McQuillan, never mind keeping his cards in his pocket, he’s left them in the dressing room, a really poor showing from him. Letting Tyrone away with far too much.. as Monaghan were breaking out of defense McCarron just takes a swipe with his leg to bring down the Monaghan player, no attempt to challenge for the ball, blatant trip / kick, no yellow, 😏

finally a Monaghan lad with a yellow, innocuous compared to some of what’s gone before…

then he buys a dive by a Tyrone player that’s about 9 feet away from him that wouldn’t be out of place in swan lake. Sees Monaghan down to 14 too. Jeeez come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What exactly did Lavelle do to earn a red card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

The media love to hype rugby some amount. The same team who have never turned up once at a World Cup when it matters.

Gaa should put matches on when it suits them. Never mind what’s going on with other sports. Rugby aren’t interested in Gaa. They’re a elitist sport who wouldn’t have the same community feel as Gaa.

Seems like most leagues will have some big games next weekend

According to The Independent:

Killian Lavelle chopped Conor Meyler down off the ball and Joe McQuillan raised a straight red.

Irish Times:

Conor McManus came off the bench for the home team and kicked some frees but his team were down to 13 by the 46th minute after an off-the-ball clash between Killian Lavelle and Conor Meyler left the latter in a heap and the former being shown a red card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,651 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Looks like Donegal is heading to D2. 40 minutes played. 1-11 to 6 points for Mayo.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement