Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

may as well give up on the season if we don't keep it to 3 points , only march am sick of davy already

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Tom Barron replaces Stephen Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bloody wides

Were playing OK otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Playing OK? Go away and ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Shadow Boxing is over on to warm weather training for Waterford and full steam ahead for championship.I thought in second half looked like none of them wanted to win this game . We have bigger fish to fry now . Planning to get out of Munster and the mini championship in Munster between Cork , Waterford , Tipp and Clare .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A real league game and we could of won if it wasn't for all the wides. Lots of bad play from both sides. Dessie is struggling with this style of play

Hard to belive our next game is the Championship and what a challenge it is

Overall not our best league campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

dummy teams, patternless play, acting lunatic on side line and getting a yellow….playing like an engine using dirty diesel….headless short stick/hand (hospital) passing to team mates surrounded by kk jerseys like you would see u12’s doing and a bag full of wides…..only positive thing today was no red card for first time…!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

Davy has destroyed this team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Disappointing not to get a result today. A bit of a flat league campaign overall only wins were against Laois and Antrim (Barely). Can’t help feel but there’s a lot of work to do between now and championship. A big positive has to be Padraig Fitzgerald really put his hand up for championship today. Had to feel for Patrick Curran today he handed the frees over to young Fitzgerald and was taken off. Don’t know if he has much more to offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

From April last year onwards has been a shambles. Not all the blame lays with Davy Fitzgerald. We’ll see what the Championship brings but it’s not looking good at the moment. Whatever went on with Cahill after the league last year it’s been desperate since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭newhouse87

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

He didn’t blame Cahill.

Waterford have gone backwards under Davy.

Shapeless and directionless.

Dessie is being completely wasted which is not acceptable. He is top class and a tactical priority should be getting the ball to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Maybe better phrasing, whatever went on with the players after league last year would be more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

You guys aren't getting out of Munster this year with those tactics. It's all abit '10 years ago' . Davys tactics have not changed one jot. You have to be sympathetic to the players you have. Davy doesn't do that. And the playing out from the back with loopy hand passes. Hegarty will laugh as he intercepts and passes it over the bar. Shambles

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Really poor game today, nearly looked like neither team wanted to win. standard was very poor I felt.

some positives to take from it, no goals conceded, tadhg was excellent today. Padraig Fitzgerald was very good.

Some bad stuff again though, seeing dessie out around midfield is baffling. At this stage and with championship around the corner it's not looking great, nearly hoping the league was a smokescreen to dupe other teams into thinking we will be set up defensively, and we will come out all guns blazing against limerick in thurles.... what are the chances... very low it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Kilkenny man. Just back from the park. Waterford are clueless under Davy. Handpassing the ball up the pitch. Crazy stuff. Yere best player Dessie Hutchinson playing as a midfielder. I am afraid ye are going no where fast. Whoever appointed him should be sacked. Fairly obvious that his tactics wouldn't suit Waterford as I believe ye have some good forwards. Ye were lucky Kilkenny had an off day today.

Let’s be clear about one thing, we have some good players, we don’t have a great team and we certainly don’t have a great panel.

DJ Foran and Colin Dunford are grand lads but Dunford is knocking around for 10 years and Foran isn’t far behind him. They’re either good enough or they’re not at this stage. I don’t mean to single them out but they’re two of the longest serving players on the panel but ultimately aren’t good enough if we’re being honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Poor game. Kilkenny were very bad and made it look like we’ve improved since the last day. The positives being that we conceded no goals and that Paudie Fitzgerald is a little dinger on the frees.

I’ve been saying that I’ll judge on championship and after last year you’d be silly not to. However, I think we are absolutely awful and while I do have a lot respect for Davy, it’s not working so far. Who in their right mind persists with Dessie that far out the field. Maybe it’s tactical genius to confuse the opposition before championship but to honest, he’d be better off starting 15 defenders for that type of game.

I’m sick of seeing our full back giving away his yard of space and start soloing up the field under pressure to hospital hand pass the ball and turn it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Two awful teams today. The Limerick game will be eye watering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Too many people on here judging us on glorified friendlies ( league ) this is even worse then the pontification of greatness thrown at the team after last years league success . It won’t be long to see what we really have the trip to cork will be a must win after playing limerick by then you will see what we really have . One thing we nearly all agree on we need our strongest experienced players out there like Aussie , TDB and Jamie Barron playing at their very best to have any chance to progress . Fair or unfair Davy will be on a short leash with the supporters , let’s hope the management and the players are up to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

The same doom and gloom merchants probably believed DMGs crap last year about whoever beat us would lift Liam.

Tbf the pundits are at it too.... The league was never a reliable indication of form and is even less so now.

Clearly a few teams are further along than others and are primed now for a good shot at a nice bit of silverware...

The likes of Clare, Galway, Waterford have over a month now to get everything sorted and like almost every season in recent memory some teams will come off poor league campaigns to make a serious run for Liam when the ground hardens and fitness peaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

The team that beat us did lift Liam McCarthy…. e.g Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Everyone we played beat us, except Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

We’ve nothing else to judge on right now. We’re clearly not going well and Davy has a lot of work to do. The team isn’t settled in any of the lines and the game plan is all over the place. It’s not like we know what to do but just aren’t executing it. It’s a bit more worrying than that. The only games that matter are the championship ones so there is still time to get it right. Let’s hope we give it our best shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Got back from Kilkenny and watched most of the deferred coverage, just to confirm what looked like 2 very average teams flapping about, even allowing for the conditions.

John Kiely, if he bothers to watch that game back, won’t be losing any sleep in the next few weeks. We need our best 17/18 best players available to have any chance of coping with Limerick but we’re very thin on resources if some key players get injured, which seems to be a common occurrence with our our lads (noting Iarlaith Daly went off injured late on).

Dessie playing around midfield/half forward line …. what’s that about ! Patrick Curran at times, unfortunately, looks to be a shadow of the player he was at underage. At least we might have found a reliable freetaker, though he might not be a starter come championship. Thought Tom Barron have a great game ; very pleased too with Conor Ryan, plus Tadgh and Mark Fitzgerald showed up well.

Some people seem think the league is some sort of big shadow boxing experiment by Davy, I can’t see it myself. Limerick can do it, as we’ve seen, because they’ve won so much over the last few years they’re full of confidence and trust what’s going on. Experiment or not, losing games damages confidence of players that aren’t used to winning and we’re not used to winning.

Even if Dessie Hutchinson was given instructions to stay out the field today with the knowledge that he’s going back to the corner for the championship a game like total will still knock confidence. 4 weeks out we need to be building confidence not knocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jamesbond2022

What’s the story with tadgh wearing the earpieces today lads ??

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

This place is some barrel of laughs. Haven't had much time to watch Waterford so far this year but got to watch the Tipp game back on Friday and the KK game today. Much as I dislike Davy, the criticism on here of the "style" of play is based on his reputation and not on the games on display. The reality is that Tipp put 12 men in their half on our puckouts and KK put 14 men in their half on puck outs today. There is no way ball should be going into double marked full forwards unless we run at defences and start scoring from far out to make space inside. It was actually encouraging to see Dessie being brought out today to try and get him on the ball rather than being ineffectual inside. If anything the criticism I would have of Davy's tactics is that we are too offensive minded going man for man in their half of the field rather than our half backs keeping their positions and our midfield dropping into our half. As a result we struggle to find a man in space in the middle third to create a shot or hit accurate ball into full forward line ala Diarmuid Byrnes or Hannon for Limerick. This would also help our short puck out but potentially we're keeping that for championship.

On the other hand we are creating shed loads of chances against very limited/defensive set up teams, our backs are playing from in front and winning their 1v1s most of the time, our decision making is good most of the time, we are creating plenty turnovers in the middle third and it's literally the sharpness of our touch and 20/30m striking that is letting us down the most. The hurling errors are leading to turnovers and leading to easy scores. We are also missing a lot of easy shots. Significantly reduce these and we win the games. The million dollar question is, are these errors due to conditions, a different focus in training or the tactical approach of pushing up and going man to man with the opposition. And what's going to change between now and championship.

Finally another soft tissue injury for Iarliath Daly today. In this day and age, it is quite frankly professional negligence for an S&C setup to have this amount of soft tissue injuries over the last 2 years. Maybe the players got bad advice at a younger age and have too much muscle but it's extremely frustrating to see this amount of soft tissue injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

To be honest I think I'm not going to bother going to league games anymore. Whatever about us being sh1te. Nobody wants to win the competition. Why pay €18 per game to see two teams that have been ran into the ground in the week leading up to the match

Advertisement