Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Absolutely. There has been a bit of a narrative around that alright, that the opposition have been poor therefore our performances not being as note worthy. I think we are probably a bit ahead of the other teams but if we can stay ahead that’s where the games are won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Winning is a habit and you can only beat what's in front of you. Yes, we've probably more work done than others and some of the opposition has been poor, I would still have question marks myself around whether we can keep it up during the summer. But nevertheless, momentum is important and once you lose it, it's hard to get it back so I reckon we should just keep at it and see where it takes us.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Mayo looking good and putting in big performances to match the results.

Id like to get Kerry in the final, but this time go out and win the game.

A 2nd beating for Kerry by Mayo will deliver some mental scars as we head into the championship and it will give the team more belief moving forward.

We have a huge squad of extremely fit players who all know their roles so rotating doesn't really weaken this team to any great degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Aiden alluded to the health of the squad in his post match interview.

And it's so true, I don't think there is a single Mayo player that is not available because of injury.

Remember other years when players were going down left right and center.

And even though we have been winning games since Armagh pulling away there has been no sign or Orme.

Some people here are getting their wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I really don't think Kerry would carry too many mental scars if that was to happen.

But flip it around, and if Kerry were to stumble into a final and beat us... That would be a hard one to take seeing that we're been flying and they've barely been trying.

The pressure would be on us not to mess up a very good league campaign. I would much prefer Galway in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

I agree in general, but Cillian, Hession and Brickenden are 3 potential starters that are out injured at the moment. Darren McHale a bench player also injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just after watching it recorded there.

Very impressive overall... although I expected a bit more fight from Donegal tbh.

Is that O'Shea's most prolific match for Mayo?? Can't remember him ever looking so confident in from of the posts.

Re: Orme - my young fella was alibg about him alright... assumed he was injured, will be very hard for him to break back into the squad at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Well Enda Hession and Cillian are definitely injured. Nothing extremely serious as far as I know, but they are. I don't see either being available for the next game, definitely not Cillian anyway.

Not sure what the story is with someone like Brendan Harrison, who has been really unfortunate with injuries his whole career. I know there was some discussion here a while back that his body basically wasn't cut out for intercounty, but he had attempted a comeback last year and got injured again. Not sure what has happened since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Lads is final confirmed for 4pm? Just looking at train times here now

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware of Hession and Cillian.

I thought they were just being rested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think this year's AI is between Mayo Galway and Tyrone. Galway will beat Kerry next weekend by 4-5 points. Cork might even beat them in Munster. History is against Dublin no D2 team have won an AI on Yonks. When Armagh won in 2002 technically they were a D3 team ( there was two groups of 8 in D1).

The AI will really come down to Galway and Tyrone, while Mayo might beat either in the SF they will probably lose to the other in the final

Slava Ukrainii

Unlike other finals I would be very confident if we got to a final simply because we have Rochford who knows how to nullify opposition and execute a game-plan , plus Kevin Mc is a great motivator and man-manager of the squad..

This mayo team has the potential to be as good as the 2017 team, but nobody in 2023 is near the level of Dublin in 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Strange to see AOS taking that 2nd half free from the right hand side, shows what a bit of confidence can do for a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

No and the prognosis on Cillian ain’t great apparently

Typical of his/our luck :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yep

hamstring

5/6 weeks

So the whole of the Connacht championship and he wasn’t match fit as it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

This Mayo team could be as good as Mayo 2017, but nowhere near the level of Dublin 2017 who beat Mayo by a point?

• Advertisement

I thought Cillian looked very sharp in the games so far.

I said the Opposition in 2023 that stands in our way , is no where near the level of that Dublin team,

Unlike 2012/2015/2019/2021 Mayo had a game-plan in 2017 , and had a specific group of players who could match up well with Dublin players on a physical level, but were a little short on quality and depth to get over the line, and that was down to good management to close the gap in itself..

Outside of 2016/2017 Mayo were well beaten in all the other finals /semi finals/league games by Dublin, while they destroyed every other team that stood in its path.

Dublin were miles ahead of the pack regards consistency, and it showed with all the trophies won both in the championship and all the leagues campaigns during that era.

So we had no game plan in 2012 or 21 despite actually beating Dublin, or 2013 when losing by a point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sugarman20

Does anyone know when the final will be? I'm guessing 1st of April but not sure.

Why is this place so hostile.

Taking my points out of context , via nitpicking to create a pointless argument.

We lost badly to Donegal in 2012, never looked like winning , McGuinness publicly saying they targeted the fullbacks.

2013 there was a Dublin player carrying a hamstring for the last quarter , and didn't push up.

Back to hogan stand for me.

Mayo posters on this board seem very uncomfortable with the idea that we have a great shot at the All Ireland this year,

Good for you then 👍️

Why is this place so hostile.

Taking my points out of context , via nitpicking to create a pointless argument.

We lost badly to Donegal in 2012, never looked like winning , McGuinness publicly saying they targeted the fullbacks.

2013 there was a Dublin player carrying a hamstring for the last quarter , and didn't push up.

Back to hogan stand for me.

Mayo posters on this board seem very uncomfortable with the idea that we have a great shot at the All Ireland this year,

Good for you then 👍️

• Advertisement

People are just discussing the points you raised, there's no hostility.

I would say any talk of 2023 opposition is a bit premature at this time of the year. At the moment, it doesn't look like there's too many counties putting their names forward but it's early yet. Kerry and Galway will definitely come on from their league performances, plenty more will as well imo.

Would definitely agree that having Rochford in the set up will be a plus this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

If you want an easy ride, try MayoGAAbBlog. No negativity allowed there. Some decent chats. But generally a bit too much of the "we need to stand by our team and we can beat anyone around us". The actual game analysis is generally in short supply.

I agree - the Mayo team look very organised this year, calm on the ball, with what seems to be a bit of a game plan - mixing the patient passing with good sporadic bursts of pace, and the odd long ball in. Great to see Tommy Conroy burst past the defenders yesterday. I hope he has a big role in the next 4 months or so (hopefully!!!). Unlike other years, its actually difficult to pick out weak-link passengers in this years team, and if almost all are fit, the bench will be impressive. Paddy Durcan looking very strong as well.

One thing that has impressed me overall is the confidence that the lads have. The young lads look so inspired and look like they have been on the big stage for a decade e.g. the likes of Enda Hession, Jack Carney, Conor Loftus look transformed. They were grand before but at times seemed shy to get on ball. But now they are demanding it. Stephen Coen looks more comfortable now, making runs, and looking for a pass (although he should be forbidden to shoot, unless he is within 5 yards of the opposition goal). Diarmuid O'Connor and Aidan O'Shea look a lot more comfortable in games.

I'm delighted for them that they are going through such a good spell. No doubt, the level of superiority at the moment will end when teams catch up in terms of training and fitness etc. But the lads are getting great experience through this league campaign anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The following day, the Sunday AFAIK. Has to be that weekend as Mayo v Roscommon in Connacht championship is the following Sunday

Donegal were absolutely septic yesterday, as poor as I have seen them in a long time, I'd be very worried if I was a Donegal supporter, based on yesterday they could struggle in division 2. The Lacey stuff in the background seems to have really turned things toxic

Even with that in mind Mayo were excellent yesterday, tight at the back and really impressive going forward. I like how when there's a chance of a goal that they are going for it and not taking the fisted point as an option.

The league final will be massively important now, likely to be Galway or Kerry, who based on current form are the two best teams in the country.

This gave me a giggle,

Its from a good Kerry poster.

Bit of Yerraism but also some concern moving forward in the here and now.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I wouldn't be surprised if Galway win next week. The main reason being that Jack has more to manage than the team. He must also manage their their exposure during these "blocks" of training. It would appear from Saturday night that they are still working hard. The goal always was to secure Division 1 status and then slip away into obscurity. The last thing Kerry needs now, while trying to catch up to other teams, is a final in Croke Park against a Mayo team that it appears has been training since September. Keep Mayo sweating until the summer, let Galway be the fodder.

• Advertisement

Exactly, classic yerraism.

Even though I think this season is wide open I think it's way too early to actually say it's between three teams, none of which happens to be Dublin or Kerry.

Teams will definitely catch up a fair bit in terms of fitness but, as has been the case for years now, the general S&C of our lads is fairly phenomenal imo. Fitness is one thing and it can be found relatively quickly, but strength work can take years.

It's easy to take it for granted but we have a seriously strong team in terms of physicality. I think we'll have that edge on most teams for the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Rough translated……Kerry are afraid of another hiding from mayo…..

The Mayo club championship only started on the 4th September, so how could the county team have been training at the same time?

Looking at the likely team for the league final / championship, it's probably going to be something like:

Reape

Coyne O'Brien ??

Coen Loftus Durcan

Ruane DOC

McDonagh Carney Flynn

AOS Carr ROD

I think that corner back position is all that's up for grabs at this stage between Callinan/Swanney, probably Callinan for now as he's had more minutes so far - if Hession is back fit, he'd be in there ahead of either I'd say.

McDonagh and maybe Carr are probably the only other ones that might be in slight danger although I'd say both have that jersey for now. That leaves a bench of:

COC (currently injured), Conroy, McLaughlin (injured?), McLoughlin, Doc, Swanney, Hession (injured), McHugh, Touhy, McHale (injured), Hennelley (is he injured? hasn't been on the 26 yet I think?)

If we could get those few injuries cleared up, we'd be in good shape for the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Biggest hole I see is in centre back. Loftus has done grand but the like Matthew tierney or Seanie O’Shea or even Kilkenny could do damage in centre forward yet

Loftus won't be given those marking jobs. Durcan or someone else would. When we played Kerry, Paudi Clifford was 11 but Hession picked him up, not Loftus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I am not surprised Donegal is going down. They were poor in the championship last year, Monoghan should have gone down last year. Even though they look relegation candidate's this year they could still pull it out of the bag. Last year's relegation shattered Kildare.

If both Monaghan and Donegal go down both will struggle to come back up. I fancy Cork to come up next year. Not sure who will come with them. If Dublin come up with Derry next year's D1 will be very tricky. Any team.starting the division badly could go down. Having 4v3 ho.e games next year will be a huge advantage. I think the two teams coming up may only have three home fixtures.

Kerry have played poorly at home against teams that they should have coped with better. They struggled against Roscommon and Armagh. They are fading after good starts against such teams considering they have what on paper looks a strong bench.

That is my point exactly

Slava Ukrainii

Doesn't suit Narratives. Teams have been played off the park = Mayo must have started collective training earlier, rather than simply being better on the day.

One advantage we had over Kerry and Galway is Westport and Ballyhaunis didn't get out of connacht. That meant all players would have gotten their few weeks off before starting a proper pre season with the county squad.

Although whatever about the first couple of rounds, I don't see why we'd still have a fitness advantage.

• Advertisement

Was just looking back at what our HF/MFs have scored so far in the league:

v Donegal: 0-3/0-3

v Rossies: 1-2/0-1

v Tyrone:  0-2/1-1

v Kerry: 0-5/0-1

v Armagh: 0-1/0-3

v Galway: 0-2/0-1

That's an average of >5 points/game from HF and MF - I don't have figures from previous years but it definitely feels like more than we had been getting in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

After seeing them listed for the Leo Murphy final (shame it was cancelled for the bad pitch) I wouldn't be shocked to see Sam and Bob released to the u20s, for the Championship at the very least. Both absolutely capable of doing a job at Senior already but it'd be doing a job others can do comparably, albeit differently (someone like Irwin doing cover for Bob slightly more offensively/less direct running and someone like Donnacha filling for Sam but slightly more of a man marker than an attacking breaker), whereas in the u20 setup they're providing something very special (particularly Sam who's helping patch up some of the bigger weaknesses of the squad) on a team with so much young potential you'd have a big vested interest as management in seeing them putting a run together this year knowing what it could help produce in next 2/3/5/7 years (Jack Fallon one of the more well known prospects we've had since DOC came through [lads chatting about him at games since he was 12 or 13] and looks another who'll fit right into the current system in that midfield/half forward rotation in the coming years).

Be interesting to see if Brendan Harrison can force his way back into a panel this year. Chatting to him recently he was still a bit off in fitness but certainly hasn't given up all hope.... though smart enough lad to not give too much away besides the fact he's delighted seeing the lads going so well and knowing there's ferocious competition for places there already.

COC seems to be out with a hammy for 4/5 weeks so most likely out of contention for the NFL final and early championship just yet. A shame as he was looking to regain his sharpness... that said, a hungry Cillian fighting to force his way back into the team come the latter stages of the round robin or knock-out section wouldn't be a nice prospect for any team to have to face.

McHale and Brickenden both sounded initially like it'd be a relatively significant time they'd be out. Haven't heard anything since to alter that so a few more weeks minimum I'd fear. Probably best to expect both to be out and a happy surprise if either gets back relatively early.

Haven't heard much bouncing around about Orme's knock so hopefully that suggests it's nothing too serious and more of a niggle. Fingers crossed at least.

E McLoughlin has had a nasty run of injuries the last few years. Most of them big hits (v Dublin, v Monaghan, v NUIG) but the ankle one did seem to get a bit niggly last year so no harm seeing them looking after him a bit after the concussion in the Sigerson. Not aware of anything he picked up since so I'd expect to see him potentially involved in these early games (though concussions can be messy so who knows). Hession similarly sounded like he'd be in a position to challenge again soon, with him expected to miss the Donegal and potentially Monaghan games but expected he'd potentially be back for the Championship. Possibly the final too.

Robbie has played in a couple of the friendly/challenge games. Haven't heard any whispers of injuries or anything to change things recently so wouldn't be surprised with him being involved in the panel or starting at any stage in the near future. That said, no more than elsewhere on the pitch healthy competition for that No. 1 jersey and while I'd expect to see Robbie regain it during the year I'd not be the least bit worried or surprised seeing Colm hold it for now (or Rory to come in at any stage for that matter). Colm was fantastic in that Donegal game. A very noticeable improvement under some nasty high balls suggests they could be working hard on things on the training ground.

Add to the bench options lads like Frank Irwin, Mikey Murray, Michael Plunkett, Conor McStay, Bryan Walsh and Paul Towey all likely coming close to making the 26 any given Sunday and plenty of lads like Conor Dunleavy, Ruairi Keane, Connal Dempsey, Fenton Kelly, Joe Tuohy, Ronan Carolan, Gavin Durcan and Ethan Gibbons all snapping at anyone who dips in form or intensity I'd imagine competition for the extended panel is fairly aggressive (no idea if/when they're thinking of cutting the panel or if they've already made some) nevermind just a specific 26 or 15 of a weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

They've an odd placeholder up putting the 4 Finals on the one day when every other year they're broken into 2 double headers with all 4 games televised.

On Premium tickets at least it's broken out to 3 and 4 double header on the Saturday and 1 and 2 on the Sunday since before the league started. I'd imagine we won't see it on Ticketmaster general tickets until the times agreed with necessary parties (Gardai, TV, whatever else is needed) and the tickets available for purchase (so probably require allocations for Season Tickets therefore counties involved known).

Imagine the logistics are awkward enough for HQ to jump through even on games like that which won't come close to a sell out.

Not the most reliable I know but RTE.ie have it at 4pm on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Yeah looking back at last year, the Division 3&4 were on the Saturday, Division 1&2 was Sunday. Division 1 throw in was 4pm. I emailed season tickets as they're usually very responsive and they said they will not have that confirmed information until early next week. I'm hoping they go with Saturday!!!!

well i dunno, im not mystic meg.

You'll have to ask the original poster from kerry "who posted it"

Agree there might be a slight advantage over Kerry and Galway, but not perhaps to the same extent as being made out. Certainly Kerry didn't help themselves for the game in Castlebar by travelling up and back the same day.

There's certainly great competition. If you said Cillian, Hession, McLaughlin and Hennelly are fairly sure of making the 26... It's hard to know who loses out from the Donegal panel.

I think it's looking like Callinan might be kept in the squad with Tuohy probably let play for the U20s.

At full strength, there's probably only a couple of spots in the 26 up for grabs between Irwin, McStay, Plunkett, Towey and Tuohy. The Monaghan game might give us a better idea. I would love to see what Towey could do from the start.

• Advertisement

Hard to know really, Touhy and Callinan both fully deserving of their place in the squad from what I’ve seen. It really is tough to find the balance for them between under 20 where they would be guaranteed starters vs Senior where there is no such guarantees but a different experience for them as players.

Advertisement