Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v England Grand Slam Decider 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I think the Super12 trials are only going to add another level of confusion for the refs.

On top of that, as I mentioned earlier in thread the concept that you can clatter someone's head, end their game due to a head injury and then the offending team reverts to a 15 man team in 20 minutes is a joke. I think it's the worst of both worlds.

When you're involved with coaching minis rugby there's no grey area as regards tackle height and potential head knocks. If my 9 year old players can do it, so can professionals. It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

But it wasn't a tackle. They need to look at the laws regarding the tackle then, and provide for a situation that you can tackle a player before he gstherd the ball. If Stewart was entitled to clean out Keenan out before he took possession then I've no doubt he'd have wrapped and made a legal. Or the ref should blow the whistle when a player knocks it on immediately and stop this playing advantage lark.

Last nights red card was a ridiculous situation to end up in and world rugby should make sure the laws are in place to not allow it to happen again.

It's a contact sport, their needs to be an acceptance that head injuries will are apart of the risks. If players don't like it, they are perfectly free to retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Yes we should allow more injuries and head injuries and as a result of that more court cases and less people playing the sport in the short and long term. less parents who will want their kids playing and even watching the game which is less money for the sport and less interest in the sport.

It was clear dangerous play and was nothing but a red card

Advantage speeds up play. That is necessary to stop us having millions of extra scrums and dead time in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

What do you think happens when there is head to head contact? Are you suggesting attacking players are leading with their heads deliberately?

The laws being trialed in SH Rugby have absolutely nothing to do with science of player welfare. They have to do with money and competition from other sports. Cheerlead by the knuckle dragging games gone soft fraternity. It will be interesting when Rugby League in the SH eventuality goes bust from law suits. Will the SH rugby nations change tack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

That last paragraph is possibly the biggest load of shite I've read in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Someone asked about POM and Sinckler appearing to have a bit of a "chat" after full time.

Don't know what happened but found this from a few years back https://youtu.be/7DKXS-NphLU

It's not about allowing more injuries, it's about accepting their head injuries are a part and parcel of contact sports. The court cases aren't simply about head injuries. If they were, boxing wouldn't exist. It wasn't clear dangerous play at all, unless you are referring to the actins by Keenan? But that would be very harsh to say that. I don't think the English felt they got much an advantage from that decision last night. 😂

What do you mean what do I think happens? I'm not saying they are doing it deliberately, but they are increasing the risk of head injuries when they do. As I said if World Rugby aole motivation is to rule out head injuries they should be dishing out red cards for players who get their head in front of a tackled player rather than behind for example. Nothing World rugby has done on this issue has been about player welfare, its all been a panicked reaction to law suits. In saying that, alot of their decisions have been good and are correct.

They don't need to change tact though. Players of the current generation will find it very difficult to take legal action against world rugby or the respective Unions.

Its a contact sport, everyone now knows the risks of repeated head injuries.

It was clearly serious foul play. That in any officials eyes is red unless there is substantial reason to reduce it to a lower sanction. Head injuries occur in rugby but this was an action by a player that deserved the ultimate sanction. He didnt tackle or make any attempt to tackle. This incident wasnt the same as a player mistiming their entrance into a tackle with head on front.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Hahah what bolix , how many has Rob Kearney played? Maybe he never played at your level ahhahah

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Like I said to aloooof, read the entire conversation before entering it at the arse end.

• Advertisement

We have to accept deaths are part and parcel of driving. We should just remove seatbelts from cars. Everyone knows there’s a risk when driving. If they’re too soft to drive, they should just stay out of cars.

Makes zero difference, posturing bolix , ohh I played rugby so I'm right. You didn't play at near the level of many who felt it was a harsh red.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Don't use boards too much anymore but logged in expecting an upbeat and compelling discussions after a great 6 nations campaign. It's the complete opposite in here - just a dire read.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

It’s the usual bollocks to be honest, group of grumpy old men complaining about everything

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It makes a big difference because that poster was the one doing the posturing, if you bothered to read the entire conversation.

Once again though, you talk about others chatting bollocks when you continuously make a case for chatting it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Of course head injuries are going to happen. The sport knows this, and are not saying that they can prevent all head injuries.

The sport is trying to decrease head injuries that occur due to dangerous play, and illegal play and silly/reckless play. Everyone should welcome this!!

I know.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ah the joys of sport.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Never played rugby and played ga and soccer for along number of years, and learned about rugby working in limerick many years ago, it was a red all day and the officials went through the correct process and were right in the red card. The gaa could learn a huge amount from the tmo and ref in rugby. In ga there is 7 officials per game and recent hurling game all missed of a player striking to the head and the amount of off the play sh e that is missed is crazy. No wonder so many young lads are playing rugby,

But it shouldn't be serious foul play. That's the issue.

I see we have decided to completely jump the shark at this point. We do have to accept deaths are part and parcel of driving, and if some makes a decision to not wear their seat belt and dies as a result then thsts the consequences of tbdir own decision. So, to translate to rugby, at what point do players have to accept their decisions will have negative consequences towards their own health and that they must accept that as a consequence of playing a physical sport? No one forced Keenan to run head first into a player trying to avoid contact. He could have taken numerous decision and actions to protect himself if he wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can we all agree that it wasn’t the worst of collisions and wasn’t dirty or deliberately dangerous play, but still play that Stewart could have avoided to prevent injury. As per rules he had to go!

Turning you shoulder in, tucking your arm and planting your foot is an attempt to avoid contact? That’s a seriously delusional take on what happened. Nothing about what Steward did was an attempt to avoid contact, nothing. The take that he was trying to protect himself is one thing but suggesting he tried to avoid contact is an absolute joke.

It should if you want the sport to be here and ensuring player safety is number 1. Yes rugby is a physical sport and a collision rather than contact sport but it wasnt attempt at a tackle. there was high contact. it is red every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Red cards are a necessary evil in situations like this - rugby has to do far more to protect players or it will become a much smaller sport. That said, if I’m watching a close game as a neutral, it does lose some value for me after a red card is shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I've looked at it a few times now and it seems to me that Steward was shaping to kick the loose ball as Keenan was running in to pick it up. Left knee was bent at 90 degrees and then he aborts the kick and tries to turn right out of the impact.

Everybody's talking about a tackle, but that doesn't seem plausible since Steward is running towards a loose ball, not a ball carrier.

We'll see what comes from the disciplinary hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Rangy

In fairness there are some trolls but there are a few people astonished by how absurd the game has become in that in a contact sport it’s almost impossible to avoid head contact in a game where players are hurtling body and head first into contact situations.

It’s utterly bizarre and is making a joke of contests. Nonetheless, I can only speak for myself when I say I am utterly delighted we won the Grand Slam and believe we would have done it quite easily with 15 on 15. It just gives an excuse for the red carded team to raise question marks on the nature of the win

• Advertisement

Well here's proof that Owen Farrell's able to wrap tackle

Advertisement