Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F.A. Cup 2023 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Care to tell which of the red cards should not have been given. The only one to blame is William, Mitrovic and the Fulham manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You can either put your hands on an official or you can’t, which is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I’m just showing the officials aren’t out to get them like we heard all week.

Perfectly good goal unfortunately United will now win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He wasn't trying to handle it, so he wasn't making any such choice to 'take a red'. It wasn't a Suarez v Ghana. It was a genuine attempt to block it fairly, but he was unlucky.

I see what you mean but I do understand it and it is stopping a certain goal while other penalty decisions may not. I agree Willian was not going to handle the ball but in this instance tucking his hand into the body was his undoing

Mitrovic did a fùck lot more than touch the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, with how compact he kept his arms, all tucked in, i'd kind of rather they gave him the benefit of the doubt and a yellow. But I guess whatever rules/guidelines they're using don't allow for benefit of the doubt anymore.

• Advertisement

I say he is stewing he will calm down might think been close he can issue instruction that or he doesn't want to go near mitrovic for his health. I do think if you are sent off there should be a rule leaving the area including the tunnel. Off course he will have words after with the ref but nothing unusually there as any manager will do that. Day your reading too much in to it.

Christ I missed the conspiracy about onside goals being ruled onside?

Fernado should have been sent off yes. However its not as easy as putting your hand on a ref some people just touch off the ref and thats it. What Mitrovic done was a full on shove and just because a player got away with it x time does not mean it okay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Football, as always, a funny old game

ManU bailed out again after being completely outplayed for the hour. Fulham have nobody to blame but themselves for losing their sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Referee, Illuminati and the Russians gifting United that third goal too.

Ya no I don't think you are. Given who I support its damn hard in defending a ref doing his job against united

Even if Mitrovic didn't actually touch him he was a goner. Squaring up to a ref roaring at him as agressively as he did would have got him sent anyway.

Silva never touched the ref but was sent off for mouthing off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I wonder if they will try make an example of Mitrovic, and give him longer than the usual 3 game ban. They’ll be under pressure to do so given how aggressive he was.

It’s not surprising that the Bruno case is being referenced, but they aren’t that similar to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

You are guessing, and guess what, that's all you're doing, guessing. Unless you're Mystic Meg! Totally ridiculous reaction by Silva, but you are in conjecture land there.

I felt sorry for Fulham, as they were the much better team throughout the game, but couldn't finish.

I will say Antony was lucky because first thing he did on the pitch was kick out at Robinson, and he connected.

I'd say Maguire is done. Totally owned by Mitrovic and just seems to want to push players over, even when they're in the corner going nowhere.

These ties mess about with Premier fixtures now. Brighton were supposed to be playing the blue half of Manchester that day, while Man United were hosting Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And all that high drama just brings home that there's no proper football again for a fortnight...

• Advertisement

Interesting from Marco Silva.

Referred back to the "penalty" shout where Martinez and Mitrovic came together. Said that he wants to see the referee's report to see what he put in there, as he thought he didn't deserve a red card.

I haven't a clue where the line is drawn between yellow and red.

Roy Keane mentioned their PL campaign is where all the suspensions play out (Bournemouth, West Ham, Everton). They are clear of relegation anyway, but the other teams in the relegation battle will be p***ed off if its a weakened Fulham facing those three.

Except no one gets sent off for squaring up to the ref name the last one, players not managers. You do make a good point with managers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Well most players arent that bloody thick but cards for dissent is hardly unusual, Mascherano got himself a second yellow for dissent when ye played United once.

I think Caterham swore at a ref in a tunnel and got himself sent off at one point. Think it was against Liverpool and he was at Wigan? But most players just aren't that stupid.

I think it was all my fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

My my my

No wonder its hard to get refs in this country if people think its OK to touch the ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I'd have thought all the Liverp.....sorry neutrals, would be delighted to finally see officials standing up for themselves after the past few weeks of posts about them being assaulted by players

Mitrovic was a disgrace and I'd be stunned if his ban is less than 5 games considering how aggressive he was and that the bench had to be emptied to pull him away

It'll be in double figures. Someone above mentioned not only the contact but the aggression. If 3 is your starter then he could get 12 games.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Knew exactly what the reaction would be. Mitrovic and Fernandes incidents are not remotely alike mitrovic.

Ref had given mitrovic enough chances too to leave it alone and he went back for more. Players even tried to help him out and he went back for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You seem have a real problem understanding the rules of football.

It was as legitimate a goal as you will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,574 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Could be a City fan, a Bolton fan, a Salford fan... that's as thick as saying a "London referee" would favour Spurs or Arsenal or Chelsea.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,574 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A pat on the back is not pushing an official. If the assistant ref had thought anything untoward had happened he would have reported it to the referee but he didn't.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I wouldn't bother, they're only posting for the exact reaction some of y'all give them. Every. Single. Time.

But yeah I'm not even sure why VAR checked the second goal Shaw was ahead of Sabitzer when he made the pass!

I think that’s what they were checking. To make sure that was indeed the case.

Maybe some of them. Others do seem to genuinely struggle with basics so they do need help. I doubt anyone could actually commit to the whole "clueless" act as well as they do so maybe its genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Dermot Gallagher on Sky reviewed that incident and said no punishment for Fernandes was necessary. He's an impartial Judge who knows the rules. So, there you go. It was a sly little dig on the linesman by BF all the same. Maybe the ref didn't see the incident. Mitrovic deserves what he got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I seem to recall Dermot Gallagher saying that the linesman put his hands on Bruno first, and maybe that is why they were not willing to take the matter further. While you see referees putting their body in the way of two players arguing, I guess it's not appropriate either for an official to manhandle a player, and therefore Bruno got off.

I did raise an eyebrow at the time though. It was more than a tap on the back. It was a bit of a slap out of frustration, and to be honest he was lucky nothing came of it.

Mitrovic was much more aggressive though and continued to hound the ref and there was real menace about him. I'd be surprised if the ban is less than 6 games.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

This is a fair assessment.

Not like using Ex referee Dermot Gallagher and claiming he’s impartial as an example to excuse Bruno.

99/100 Dermot Gallagher sides with the officials and made a show of himself a while back trying you defend VAR to the point he was laughing at his own confusion and bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Maybe Mitrovic saw Fernandes put his hands on an official a couple weeks ago, with no retribution taken, and thought it was fare game. We'll never know. But the action of Fernandes putting his hands on an official in a somewhat aggressive manner did happen. it wasn't a friendly tap on the back.

Mitrovic absolutely deserved to be sent off, and receive and a larger ban. No questions about that whatsoever because he was aggressive and continued to abuse the referee after the action. He was out of control.

Mitrovic needs to be made an example of now, before it spirals out of control even more.

I thought the hot takes would have cooled down by now.

It makes Mitro's meltdown all the funnier.

• Advertisement

Mitro been charged now, so they’re looking at longer than the standard 3 games. They need to set an example obviously that referees can’t be targeted, but I hope they don’t go too far also, given that he didn’t actually assault him really. 5/6 games probably the most likely outcome IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, they need to be careful about overdoing it here I think... I'd be thinking 4 or 5 is enough. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them go wild with an 8+ match ban - which is the sort of thing I think should really be reserved for actual violence (Ben Thatcher got 8 matches for smashing Mendes, and Suarez got 10 for biting Ivanovic).

Obviously there needs to be a distinction where its more serious to do something to a referee, but probably worth a mention that he often wouldn't have even got booked for the same thing if he'd done same thing to another player.

I get that it is not the same thing and that referees require extra protection, particularly for what they might face at grassroots level, but sure look, 5 game ban. Keep him out against Villa. Justice done.

Literally after typing that, I read a tweet from the Sun saying its expected to be 10 games. Keeping him out until the last day of the season against...........Man United.

Honestly 10 games feels over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It should be more than 10 games, and I am really surprised that people can't see why.

And I have to say, the idea that he should get away lightly because he didn't actually punch the ref is just insane. You have a high profile player in a high profile match stalking the ref like some fat bellied **** acting the hard man on a night out, how the hell can people not see the implications of that? We talk about respect to referees but it is ok to act like that? Bollocks.

Its not about what he did, it is the intent. It is the threat and the aggression towards the one person who cannot afford to have his position diminished.

He needs to be made an example off, a slap on the wrist will do more harm than good so the FA need to hammer the **** out of him and make sure the message is clear.

I will say that it is hilarious to me that his whole posturing hard man act was because of one of the most blatant penalties you will ever see. Of all the things to get banned on the back of he choose that, what a **** moron.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ben thatccher should have been banned for life though it was at least the 5th time he had deliberately smashed someone in the face like that. He also had a 15 game suspended ban and a separate 6 game ban for that assault.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Doubling it from 3 to 6 would be perfectly fine.

8 would be a bit of a stretch for me.

10 would be a bit of a joke and set a very high precident.

I don’t think there was intent to do more than he did though. I think he had ample opportunity to do more than that, but he managed to sensibly restrain himself, because if he hadn’t, we’d be talking about Premier League career likely over, rather than how long this ban should be.

I can see all the points people have around this, and think he should get a longer ban than normal, but not completely sure he should be banned for what other people might do in the future either.

The high precedent of "Don't ever threaten or intimidate a referee"? Why would that be a bad thing?

Besides, 11 matches for pushing a ref is already the precedent.

Punishing one person to deter future behaviour in others is a valid strategy.

He might not like it but frankly who cares, he created this situation himself. Its all on him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement