Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

movment last week was excellent , you lot are still very under rated , impressed with that half back line big time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Your having a laugh. Half back line is small slow and no presence. They will get ran out of it come summer.

Post edited by Village87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Agree with you. All fine and dandy being 'neat and tidy' in March. Are those guys gonna be able for the Limerick half forwards? Richie Reid was destroyed in the All Ireland. He cannot be a viable option for centre back

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,908 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

Posts deleted.

@citykat @Rosita both of ye need to move on from the Schools/St. Kierans chat. It has been discussed, opinions offered and now it has run its course as the same point is being made again and again.

No more on the topic from either of ye thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Corcoran, Dunne and Blanchfield all starting, which is great. Not sure why that couldn't have been announced initially. Dummy teams for Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Is Tadgh de Burca wearing 2 ear pieces or am I imagining things ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

1 point up at halftime. Dreadful match, the weather isn't helping but it's awful stuff. Corcoran, Blanchfield and Dunne all started. Corcoran has done well and Blanchfield has been OK if suspect in his decision making. Dunne hasn't done well and has given the ball away too often. Drennan has done well with frees but no-one has really stood out. Waterford have hit a lot of wides and are overdoing the short passing in wet conditions. Pitch is a bit raggedy and there's been a good few slips from both sets of players. You can skip this half if you plan on watching the deferred coverage on tg4, I can't stress how bad I thought that half was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Terrible first half. The ball we are giving into the forwards is absolutely dreadful alot of the the time. Waterford should be ahead they must have 8 or wides and half a team. Don't like how they've bought 2 frees just jumping into the tackle.lucky enough they've no free taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Hoping for a serious improvement in the last 25 mins as notwithstanding the conditions we are dreadful. Our movement and delivery into our half forward line or full forward line is very poor. We're not winning any high 50/50 balls. Come in lads. Buck it up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

We got the win but that was a tough slog of a match to watch. Need to use the ball far better from the short puckouts, some really aimless passing from Deegan and Tommy Walsh. Forwards struggled to win their own ball. Drennan was class from frees and was better from play in the 2nd half. Cody had an off day and Dunne was poor but he'll learn from this. Waterford were really negative. Not a match to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

That was very septic today. I don't know why lyng put Deegan back in defense. He gave waterford 2 points. The ball from defense has no purpose and its just drive it up and try win something off the break. The one thing I said was not to make a hero out of de burca and that's exactly what we done.

Next week should be a much better match in better conditions.i know conditions were awful but I was fierce dissapointed with the ball coming out. It's not the day for silky hurling but we looked toothless and haven't figured out a sweeper

For a few years under Cody I used to question our movement and delivery into our forwards. Lyng, having had the u20s brought a change to the way we played with the 20s.

I'm not sure what the plan was for today. As I said earlier the ground and conditions were tough but we landed ball after ball to our half forward line and we won maybe 20% of these at best. The high ball into our full forward line was 3v2 every time. Waterford negative but had they taken their scores better we were in trouble. We dug out the win and hurled somewhat better in the last 20 mins but we still gave their forwards too much space. We stood off them tooo much. We brought a few forwards in but still no richie hogan. Richie has seen no game time yet even though he has been named on the panel. Paddy deegan will need to move further forward than our half back line.

Very poor today but hopefully see a big improvement v Cork in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

That was a stinker of a game. Waterfords tactics were certainly negative but Kilkennys inability to work around De Burca was bizarre. Adrian Mullen and TJ are badly needed because there's a lack of nous in that forward line without them. Some terrible ball handling from both sides and the ref was shocking at times but he was equally bad for both sides. Billy Drennan was good and Eoin Cody was hit and miss ..takes too much out of the ball at times. The ball out from the backs...dire. Deegan must be some man in training because his deliveries today were not in any way sympathetic to the forward.Waterfords running out with the ball hurt my eyes it was so bad. The criss crossing lines of running didn't even work today in the conditions it seems suited for. They ain't coming out of Munster with those tactics and thats for sure. The pitch was bad .. I know it got heavy rain but the drainage must not be great. The groundsman has alot to do before next Weekend

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Not a great game today by any means but good to get the win all the same.

Anyone know why Richie Reid, Paddy Mullen, Buckley, Wally were all named on the team list but not there today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

Very disappointed with that performance. No movement in the forward line and poor quality ball from the backs. Sending high balls into the forwards is a waste of time. No goal threat. Drennan was excellent on frees but that was the only positive today

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Crazy tactics having Eoin Cody so far away from goal. Without naming names, a few that played today have never been good enough to win an All Ireland and that ain't going to change soon. On the positive Drennan looked good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

So poor today, its been said already but the ball into the forwards was absolutely terrible.

I'm hoping the poor performance was partly down to the conditions and possibly Waterfords style but that doesn't excuse the poor decision making on the ball. Very frustrating game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

The game was played on Waterfords terms. Bar 3 or 4 obviously desperate deliveries from the defence ultimately the blame is on the forwards in my opinion. They were very slow to reset after tracking the Waterford runs which meant the defenders had nowhere to hit the ball when they looked up. When Waterford were going to this "2" puck out of theirs where they shove 10 or 11 players into the opposite half the game descended into chaos around the middle with no shape to it. When this happened one of our forwards probably needed to take a risk and leave his man and just shove up to their 21 to give an out ball and a bit of danger. We just followed them and left their half empty for too long.

Weather had a big impact on the game but it really was one of the worst games I've ever had the misfortune of seeing live and I'd write it off.

Drennan excellent again. Cody looks tired to me.

Richie Hogan wasn't togged.

Whilst acknowledging Waterford weren't at full strength either, winning with the players we had on the field was a good result although some lads are playing themselves off the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭conor05

That was just a really poor game skill wise.

Lads couldn’t strike the ball properly, ball falling out of lads hands constantly, I know the conditions were bad and hard to play against a set up like Waterford but you would it seems to be Limerick are far ahead of every other team perfecting the basic skills under pressure.

Paddy Deegan is desperate .. God we are a slow team

Bill Drennan excellent and Blanchfield has badly needed pace.

Looking forward to Cork next weekend where do we stand with unavailable players as of now?

Huw Lawlor

Mikey Butler

Adrian mullen

TJ

The conditions didn't help today but the handling and passing was cruel.

Aside from mikey butler, Lawlor and Tommy walsh at the back we're not really set with 5 to 9.

I would say padraig walsh, richie reid and blanchfield will get the nod but who knows.

Midfield is an even bigger question. Paddy mullen got a few games and while he wasn't standing out he did ok.

Lyng seems to like fogarty there. Kenny was there today and did ok bit we're not settled. Buckley another. Maybe Adrian mullen will shore it up.

Our starting front 6 will come out of of Billy Ryan, Cody, mossy, TJ, drennan, Donnelly and deegan with wally, Clifford, dunne and maybe richie hogan as subs. Time running out for hogan really.

Let's hope for a dryer day and a much better performance v Cork. It might do them the power of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

We once again struggled to beat ‘Davy-ball’. It was Wexford all over. 28 players in the middle and a pure arm wrestle of running and wrestling. Waterford had probably worked out who they wanted to see hitting the ball out from the KK defence (worst case) and as a result we looked poor and the same players with the same questionable decision making caused an untold amount of stress. Some of the backs just look so awkward at times. I thought considering our lack of success playing out and considering that Waterford had no attacking presence inside the 21, we could have taken a risk and pushed a man on to De Burca and then played it longer to suit the conditions and force waterford to play.

Davy set up to not concede a goal but that was primarily about his ego - he only mentioned it about 5 times on the radio afterwards. The Donegal of hurling are back.

Kilkenny won it when waterford ran out of energy and options.

btw what was in De Burcas ear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Pushing up an extra man into the forwards is never the answer. Leaves more space in your own defence and puts another body in the attack closing out the space.

I can't see how anyone could look at the game today and say Kenny did OK or cite Clifford as an option in championship.

since when were paddy deegan and ritchie reid small , they are two of the most experienced in the game for god sake ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

But "experienced" is a bit like "honest"; a word people reach for when "good" or "outstanding" won't fit. Kilkenny would be lucky to win an All Ireland title with one of these in the half back line, but certainly will not do so with the two. Deegan has been roasted in most key games for Kilkenny in the latter stages of recent championships. Reid is a very average centre-back at the highest level.

is there better options in kilkenny at the moment , i know kenny is being tried there , to be fair when i think back to the semi final last year we did get plenty of space inside the 45 before we hit another inevitable wide ,

I was referring to a comment when the team was announced. kenny, Reid and Buckley were named in the half back line. Reid was a sub goalie and used as a corner forward up to a few years ago. He is in his 30s now. Although a lovely hurler he lacks the physicality at inter county level imo. Lovely as a spare man. Kenny also lacks the pace for the half back line imo. Buckley has been very poor for 5/6 years now. He also lacks with pace at this level imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭davidx40

Just watched match there again , how mediocre we are skill wise is cruel and the lack of athleticism through out the team will kill us .....we seem to be light years of Limerick in developing players that are well conditioned but extremely agile ....to many of our lads are slow to turn very one paced

Advertisement