Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Just made me think of Ciara Kelly. She actually wouldn’t be too bad. I know she annoys a lot of people but she is smart, has a personality and doesn’t sit on the fence. Compare her to Claire Byrne. The more I think about it….I think she would be the best female choice.

Yes, I think he’s very good. As someone already said, almost any of the Newstalk presenters would be better than anyone on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Lets see what you want is someone who is..

Confident

Witty

Intellegent

allows others to talk but knows when to step in

and not afraid of controversy.

Who do you see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I think you are right and it will be the death of that show, awful choice.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Yeah that is true but Gerry was from the Northside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,164 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Graham Norton . But he won't be bothered . Having said that he does live in Ireland now mostly .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭prunudo

• Final result of my mini poll, John’s got the gig so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How about Emma Willis, she's cool and proven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'd say the last straw was that Renault informed RTE that they'd not be sponsoring the show anymore and afaik, they've been the sponsors for many years.

Gosh! (as Claire would say) I hope this post had nothing to do with it...

Renault salesman: Hello, can I help you sir?

Yes, I'm very, very interested in buying one of your cars.

That's fantastic sir. I should warn you at this stage that our cars are closely associated with death, cancer, paedophilia, excruciating pain, unimaginable suffering, poor mental health, anguish, despair and various other incurable physical ailments.

Oh right.

Now, I can show you some of our range over here and you’re welcome to a test drive.

Ah no it's grand. I'll just nip next door to the Toyota dealership. Thanks for your help and honesty though.

Renault may have said 'We'll continue to sponsor but only with a revamp and a new presenter'

Poor ol Ryan just accepted the fact that the game was up and he'd finally been caught out winging it for so many years. So he'll just slink off with his many, many millions

Expect a Mirror puff piece around June where Claire is asked if she'd be interested in the LLS - she'll waffle a lot of stuff scripted by NKM and will end up saying - 'I'd be honoured if I was asked', as she smiled meekly...'but I'd have to discuss it with my family first'. Notwithstanding the fact that she signed the contract in February!

I'ts all smoke & mirrors with these feckers, especially with the agents

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Denny61

My shout would be...Sarah mcinenery

Anton savage and brendan o Connor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I think he referenced Gay Byrne leaving the LL because basically he was interviewing the same people over and over again. This may be part of the reason why he is leaving.

Now the name Dermot Bannon comes to mind.

John wouldn't be a bad choice but would he be maybe too homely and uncontroversial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Anton Savage, no one comes close to him in the country.

Very relaxed, very knowledgeable on a wide range of topics, most importantly easy to listen to.

Any show he steps into to cover, handles it with ease

• Yes indeed, he wouldn’t court controversy, he hasn’t ever done that, the format of the show would need to be radically changed to fit his non-controversial persona, and would become more of a light entertainment show still with a smattering of “misery slots”, but no questions asked of political type figures other than what kind of cake they like to eat. It would be one something more like a live studio version of Nationwide. Could work in its own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Denny61

If tubs think that fronting a recorded series on books or interviewing famous literary figures is going to propel his already massive ego in to stratosphere area .he has another thing coming..up to now. His profile was on the slide..losing 200 thousand in viewership..he will be yesterday's news...hes finished now..no pulling power..

Yes, I saw the beginning of the show on Friday. Blood went cold when I heard him talk about other tv projects. As someone else said, snowball’s chance in hell he’ll be taking a big pay cut.

The tv reviewers in the weekend papers have not been kind, said it as it is. I think Declan Lynch said he grew up with an RTE view of the world, working for them since he was a teenager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

No...just no. She's the equivalent of nails scraped on a blackboard to me...her and that nasal whiny lad they have on opposite her on the radio..cuddihy I think and if not cuddihy then that lad and cuddihy as well.

Absolute doses to listen to, they would all sicken your hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Claire Byrne is the obvious choice and they are likely to choose a woman presenter for obvious reasons

I don't think Lucy Kennedy would make a good late late presenter. A late late presenter needs to be a good all rounder capable of talking about serious topics as well as just talking to actors or various celebs

I think Brendan o Connor would make a good presenter he has a good sense of humour and he can talk to anyone in an entertaining manner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭maebee

The LLS has run its course. In hindsight, it should have ended when Gaybo finished. It was his show. As has been proven, nobody could fill his boots.

My guess is that Tubs was pushed. I have kids in their early 30s and the LLS would be nowhere on their radar. This generation will not tolerate the misery that the LLS is. Time to ditch it altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Cuddihy is an accomplishment journalist. They brought Kelly on around the start of the pandemic I can see why they thought a doctor might be a benefit. Don't really mind her,but she really struggles with interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Slideways

Marty Morrissey would be a great choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd prefer Sile over Grainne as presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

He'd be better than any of the more likely candidates ... but he ain't gonna get it ...

I can't see any of these get it ... most are over 60 and the one who is not is too serious for the antics of the Tubridy era chat show ... this is going to a young giddy person like Zamparelli in tune with the reality TV trash RTE keep pushing down our throat ...

I forgot about them ... yes both of these would be likely contenders as well ... along with Angela Scanlon, Jennifer Zamparelli, Kathryn Thomas and Lottie Ryan ... more remote but possible would be Imelda May, Vogue Williams and Amy Hubermann ... plus you cannot rule out Panti ... I believe I have named the next host here among these 8 .... they all sum up everything modern RTE is about/what the modern Late Late Show is ... and are well used to dealing with 'airhead' types and reality TV stuff ... if they want to continue the sillier aspects of Tubridy then Zamparelli, Scanlon or Panti would be 'best' ... if these people do not do anything to jeopardise their careers ... a few years back Al Porter would have been one of the major contenders too ... they are in for a major chance and one of them will have it ...

PS: I hate reality TV ... and would prefer a change to a more intelligent format or else scrap the show and spend the money on other things ... but neither of these are going to happen ... the LLS will continue and will continue to be silly ....

I agree ... the LLS has indeed run its course and has done a long long time ago ... it was Gaybo's show and he had the better guests et al incl real international stars a lot of the weeks ... plus there was more to discuss that was new then et al ... Gaybo got out just in time ... he saw how it was going and the reality era was just beginning ... Pat Kenny tried it then but he was not suited to RTE's pushing of reality airhead celebs and boybands ... so Tubridy gets it and is ideal for this agenda ...

The irony is RTE's shows with all these modern celebs and cheap modern pop and pop country music try to appeal to younger people ... but many of the younger people would rather listen to some old blues singer like Muddy Waters or else to rebel songs ... it is time to ditch this show ... Tubridy only made it worse ... bringing back the Gaybo era theme tune and the 'one for everybody in the audience' and some of the specials from Gaybo's time does not turn his show into the Gaybo one ... the content is not the same and the guests are often abysmal ...

All that said and done ... the LLS will continue and sadly in the vein it has with either Jennifer Zamparelli, Angela Scanlon or someone else like that ... expect to keep on seeing Westlifers, Love islanders, Boyzoners, Dancing stars, Operation transformers, modern pop country singers, songsmiths aka modern singer songwriters no one care about, RTE canteen guests, etc. most of the time ... and when not it is the misery slot of someone dying of ALS (Charlie Bird), cancer (Vickie Phelan) or some other awful disease no one has even heard of (Christy Dignam) ... I have sympathy for all these people with these conditions but shouldn't that be handled in a health programme like the one called Check Up they used to have ??

Just heard her on radio this morning, a know it all who asks the guests a question then talks over them telling them they are wrong about 3 seconds into them trying to answer her question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭seanin4711

i am amazed anyone watches it tbh.

it was on in my parents house paddys night in background (they tend to leave on RTE just incase they miss out on the wall to wall scare tactics.)

Such paddywhackery, embarrassing

Advertisement