Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i was speaking in general rather in terms of the match , deegan is tough i always taught and has great ability in the air but yeah buckley is poor michael careys trip to Australia is not helping things either things back there , i feel sorry for him he's a fine hurler it must be tough for him at the moment with everything going on

reid has a seriously colorful cv alright brilliant with ballyhale in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I'm not for one moment saying we're good enough to win the All Ireland this year but Kilkenny didn't appear that inferior to Limerick in the Final last year. Also, we beat Limerick in the under 20 Final. I wouldn't be judging our players on watching back today's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

As of now, no one bar Limerick looks good enough to win the AI. Of those who "might" win the AI, we remain in the top tier of challengers to them, with Clare, Galway and maybe Cork. The next few weeks will determine whether Tipp are genuine contenders.

It was an ugly contest today, but we won (and we shouldn't lose sight of that, a year ago this Watreford team was being fed to us as "the best squad in the country"). I hope the poster above is correct in that there are players who are playing themslves off the team, but I'm not so sure. There are at least 4 players who Lyng seems to have nailed on as starters, and I think all 4 are well short of what is needed. But I also accept Lyng may feel they are the best options we have, and if he is correct, it is very hard to see how an AI could be landed.

I see what posters are saying on Richie Reid, and agree with some of it, but he is a player who oozes class and has got better and better as he has got older. He is so comfortable on ball and rarely needs a 2nd go at ball. Ballyhale have an uncanny knack in this respect. Playing in a brilliant club team, players just get better and better as they get older, the confidence just soars playing in a winning team. Mick Fennelly didnt set the world alight till he was past his mid 20s. TJ was also past his mid 20s before he went supernova. Joey Holden and Colin still playing serious stuff despite being semi retired (supposedly).

Reid should be a guaranteed starter at wing back or midfield for me, so sure on the ball and a lovely distributor. How you could consider Deegan, Buckley or Fogarty ahead of Reid, I dont know.

I felt coming out of AI last year we needed at least two good inside forwards and one midfelder, and Blanchfield for Deegan at HB.

I'd like to see Reid and A Mullen at Midfield.

Drennan is the big plus for us in league (his accuracy is off the charts). Padraig Walsh's form is also really encouraging. But beyond that, not a lot to shout about (so far at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Yeah a lot of that is bang on. Fair play to Derek for unearthing the few new players

Davy Fitz takes every opportunity to highlight the number of Waterford players unavailable due to injury. He did the same wherever he was manager. Consequently the media frequently report on this and hardly ever refer to the opposition injury lists.

For what it's worth, from our current panel we had the following unavailable yesterday - E Murphy, M Butler, H Lawlor, R Reid, C Buckley, P Mullen, A Mullen, W Walsh and TJ Reid. Not sure if C Kenny went off injured yesterday but B Ryan, M Keoghan and E Cody left the field carrying knocks.

While accepting that the display was poor, the players, including S Walsh and A Murphy who scored vital points, dug deep for the win.

Was glad to see D Blanchfield and D Corcoran finally get a full match.

Post edited by Grats on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭conor05

Will Billy Drennan or TJ be on the frees for championship as I think Billy has done enough to keep his place on the team.

He is playing very well.

No live hurling match on TV over the weekend and Sunday League highlights went on for 2 hours. The first 90mins were dedicated to football. very little hurling coverage over the weekend is not acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

DeBurca had one in each ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Looked like it at first later on it looked like cotton wool. Don't know what the point of either would be. Incidentally I counted 21 mentors in total on the pitch with Waterford during the warm up, we were only trotting behind them with 12 at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

What we saw yesterday was an abomination. Straight out of the Davey and Derek (McGrath) handbook on how to destroy hurling. While I accept it was all magnified by the conditions, we need some rule changes. We can start by banning short puck outs. Make them go beyond your own 40 at least and preferably the 70. It is also time to ban the hand to hand pass which is a throw now anyway. That would open things up a bit, lessen the carrying of possession into contact and negate sweepers to a degree at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

I agree, especially on the "thrown" handpass. It's transforming the game, the same as the handpass did to football years ago. I know lots of hurling supporters have no problem with it but it's eliminating an awful lot of the trademark skills of hurling stick work. I wonder what rule changes would critics envisage to remove this blight?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭KK36

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Ref was diabolical yesterday. Waterford were given a lot of leeway imo. Will billy drenann still be on frees when tj is back?? Will he keep his spot if that’s the case?? He’s very light, got pushed off the ball handy enough twice yesterday.

Post edited by barneygumble99 on

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭KK36

The most important thing at the end of the league for all those young lads is that they go back to the U20s as leaders and try to win that all ireland. Billy Drennan, Gearoid Dunne, Aidan Tallis, Niall Rowe and Timmy Clifford should all now show the benefit of senior experience. I think Derek has been clever here. There will be time enough to bring them into the senior championship team when the U20 is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Whatever about the frees, if billy drennan hasn't earned his right to get a start in the championship then nobody has. He's been the most consistent forward we've had in the league regardless of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

They weren't cotton wool, definitely ear pieces. Probably some kind of "Davey shenanigans" bluetooth instructions 😂 what did he get the yellow card for??

• Registered Users Posts: 19 longcovid

I thought referees were instructed to penalise the throw as per the rules this year. Well, it's not happening. The odd one pulled in a few matches maybe to keep the heat of the referees if questioned. Yesterday was no different. Kilkenny even had a few. Waterford, as usual, threw far more with some very blatant ones. No way they could be deemed otherwise but nothing from the referee. Let's keep posting about this. I may be naive but if we keep posting on enough forums then maybe something will change. Apart from that the referee yesterday was generally terrible for both sides. No consistency whatsoever, pulling things one minute and letting them go the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

What ever he got the yellow card for the ref lost the plot with us after that the incident with John Donnelly was unreal clearly taken out of it gives a scorable free to Waterford.

I agree, following the yellow for Fitz, the ref gave Waterford a string of soft frees. Billy Ryan was also taken out of it and no action taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Cork game confirmed sunday at 4.waterford were very negative and cork should be a better match,more traditional and I'd expect a better performance. Lawlor,butler and Richie Reid will strengthen up things at the back and Adrian is back hurling this week hopefully he will be a sub. Cork also have a good few injuries and like ourselves anyone with any doubts won't be risked. It would be great to get the win and a Crack off limerick in a league final.

Davey called Liam Gordon a fffing bolx and the linesman rightly called him in and gave him a yellow. I know conditions were dire but I thought he was poor. Waterford Definitely jumped into a few tackles and got a few frees. It was lucky they drove a load of wides.

I said it last week Cian Kenny and blanchfield are our biggest culprits going into a tackle with their arms in the air.Ceathrach Daly was the biggest Culprit yesterday and Dan Mccormick is also a great man for it. Refs will rightly clamp down on this and the player will be blown for steps. Locally I seen blanchfield blown for the bridge last year.Regarding the throwing we're nearly guilty as any team now I don't know how this can be properly policed with the game as fast as it is and like the last few years it will be blown for the league and early championship and be forgotten about when it gets to the business end.The sunday game will highlight a few incorrect decisions and refs will ignore it.

Very hard take many positives from yesterday other than the win. We could of lost it very easily.i know Delaney is very rusty but I think his better suited to the half back line. He was caught in no man's land for waterfords only goal chance that barron should of scored. I'm suprised lyng left Deegan as a sweeper. I know waterford pushed up on padriag and wanted Deegan as sweeper. It nearly worked he gave away two cheap scores on a day it was hard to get scores. Deegan wasn't alone in this cause Delaney and Tommy gave away some terrible ball. I just couldn't believe what I was watching de burca sitting In the pocket as he has for 10 years and going left and right and we ballooning missiles down on him. At least padraig was trying to play a few balls to the side.

I wouldn't be getting carried away one way or another its still very early and we definitely won't have things perfect at this stage but surely to God they knew burca was going to be a sweeper and our plan was feed him balls or else hope to win something off the break if it hits the ground. The ball our backs are giving or forwards is as much a defenders ball as it is forward. I'm hoping over the next few weeks that puckouts,deliveries and movement will be our priority.

Drennan deserves credit for the way he has went. He's an excellent free taker and hopefully will be for the next 10 years. Although not the quickest he has a good hurling brain and isn't greedy. As someone else said himself,Clifford and dunnes job now is to go back to the u20s and drive that thing on. We could be gone out of that early. Dunne does look good for a 19 year old but he gave away a few frees that were needless. He'll obviously learn and this is great experience for these lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

The yellow was for Davy picking the moment when the crowd were quietest to leave the referee in no doubt that he disagreed with the free in he awarded to Kilkenny! It was harmless really but looked like a) Davy wanted a bit of attention to detract from the team and b) he wanted (and seemed to get) to influence the referee to let things go a bit more or to start penalising Kilkenny a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Shocks12

Glad I didn’t travel into that game weather made it poor but also the way Waterford set up made it an even poorer spectacle.

Kilkenny I don’t feel know what the gameplan is or are in two minds between long and short. This was shown as Delaney went short and you could hear Lyng telling him to get it in long.

Most teams are trying to copy Limerick but if you study Limerick they short pass it as far as half back/midfield then bang it in low to the corner or high if they see Gillane behind his defender, as he is excellent at playing the hurl.

Kk and Waterford aren’t doing this they are running the ball for the sake of it and then hitting aimless ball as Deegan did multiple times.

Aimless passing and running isnt needed maybe two short passes then a good pass into the corner. Drennan got one great ball and nearly made a goal out of it.

Kk issues: Pace! Deegan got turned badly same with Delaney.

Midfield really poor.

Why hasn’t Lyng tested out players in the league such as Niall Brennan Daire O Neill Des Dunne etc.. They aren’t going to get a game really now whereas we have seen Murphy Fogarty etc we know all about them.

Postives Tj Mullan to come back. Still won and Waterford make games like that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Any news on whether Richie Reid, Mullen, Butler or Lawlor will be available for Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

If we dont have butler or Lawlor i think we will be exposed at the back against Cork.

Unless those coming back from injury are fully ready they're going to struggle against Cork too. Some of them have had VERY little hurling in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

….

Wide spread of clubs but I'm sure somebody will find fault.

Eoin Cody is a doubt also. Kilkenny should beat Cork in this weather. The slow ground will take the sting out of Cork and make it much more physical. Cork will be at there best in the summer. Lads like Fogarty and Deegan will thrive in these conditions.

Post edited by Village87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Cork have beaten us in the last two league meetings. They beat us this time last year. They will always have very good players and have good young talent.Infairness to pat Ryan and its very early to judge but there's definitely more aggression in their game so far this year. The jury is still out obviously. They have alot of injuries sunday. Dalton and harendy look to be out and Horgan,Tim o Mahony and a few others are a bit away yet but this will be a good test for both teams who won't meet in a few weeks in the championship and both have an extra few weeks after the league final.Donal o Rourke has being involved with the Boro so he will know most of the players.

I'd expect a much better performance from kk and will be obviously all out to win it. Hopefully the weather is better.Cork wont be as negative as waterford.Scruff,buckley and Richie Reid were following concussion protocols so they should be available. Lawlor and butler were precautionary so I'd expect them to be available. Billy Ryan,mossy and Cody will probably be assessed this week but it didn't look too serious. I'd prefer not to see tj in the league. Donnelly has given a few good performances and I think we need him to kick on and hold onto a place for the championship.

Infairness to Fogarty I know there's one lad who doesn't like him but he was excellent last weekend and got a good score. He was involved in alot and broke up play.He does alot of work people don't see. I know the conditions suited him but he's in exceptional shape and I'm sure alot of the younger lads look up to him. I personally thought he should of started the all Ireland last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

So much like the Tipp match, I think theres an awful lot being over read into that game and look it's the only evidence we have, so you have to try take something from it. However I think if you look at our league last year (different manager I know but the same S&C man) we're in a similar stage of development and we powered into the rest of the year. From what I've heard we've done very little hurling to date and they were still in some heavy blocks of training up until recent weeks. We have huge improvements to make from last Sunday but I think they can be made very easily. I think in finer conditions we would have been much further ahead in the first half. Ball that usually comes up easy or sticks in the hand were falling off or being dropped all over the place. I think with more hurling our touch will come on leaps and bounds.

I think our young team (and management) were baffled by how Waterford were playing but I think a lot of the Waterford players were also confused by it. Davy came up with his negative style of play and it worked to make it a shite game. I do think however in better conditions we would have been well up at half time. We were first to most balls into the forwards but these just weren't sticking or rising giving the defender plenty of chances. a lot of our movement went as well with Davy's tactics we got a bit caught up in it and delivered silly ball from deep instead of taking it up to our own 65 or midfield before delivering fast ball to the forwards on the move. De Burca ate up Deegans long ball all day but given Davy's tactics and the conditions I don't blame them for going long so much but we needed to be quicker under that dropping ball with numbers.

I think Butler and Lawlor have been training recently and it was decided not to try them. Murph had to follow concussion protocol after the Dublin game. Adrian is running again and has started a bit of hurling. I think TJ is doing a bit too, most of the those who didn't start last weekend just had niggles that there was no point in risking them in those conditions for a league game.

Billy Drennan gave a display of free taking the likes of which I don't think I've ever seen from such a young freetaker especially in those conditions. He has one of the sweetest strikes of a ball and stroke that I've ever seen. I think he will be very good if not this year in the next few years. My only reservation about him is his lack of work when the forwards loose the ball. He's very slow to track and doesn't seem to be arsed. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here saying that he doesn't have the conditioning yet to track lads like that and perform when the ball comes in so is saving himself. It's something he will need to improve on.

I think Cian Kenny has a long way to go to get back into the team, granted his last two games were at wing back but he hasn't looked good at all this year.

I think Gearoid Dunne can possibly do a job for us off the bench this year. The conditions were terrible but he was trying to do the right thing and I think on a better day he would have set up 2 or 3 really good chances but the wet just made them go astray.

Advertisement