Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

And what do you think Russia will get in return?

Ending mankind is a tough choice you see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

The crap Russia played last year is how World Wars start.

I don't think we tend to blame France or Britain for starting WWII. That blame lies elsewhere, as it should with this conflict.

Russia seem to be tapping into a titanic store of Cold-War ear munitions, likely intended by the Soviets for a broaded World War. These are dumb munitions mostly, have practically no targeting but can still cause damage.

I'm many cases I don't think the Russians have much in the way of stragegy beyond "Hold this line, and keep shelling over there". Theres very little selective targeting of military assets and beyond occasional focuses on Ukraine's power systems they are just lobbing repurposed SAM missiles in the general direction of the AFU lines. They don't seem to care what civilian homes happen to be there too.

Makes no sense...but that seems to be their motto in general.

Signs seem to be pointing to Russian conventional collapse.

Can’t progress against Ukraine. Ukraine not afraid to defend Bakhmut. Russia making overtures to the West to suggest peace terms.

Poland saying they will step in to defend Ukraine (they will not tolerate Russia at their borders) if Kyiv falls.

Russia over extended, can’t protect its borders, large former Chinese territories full of ethnic Chinese ‘needing protecting’.

It certainly wouldn’t be the first corrupt empire to collapse.

I’d say Russia collapsing is more likely than Russia expanding into the Donbas or even keeping Crimea. And I look back to the time Putin is sitting around the table after his forces attacked Ukraine last year and his senior generals looked like they already knew the shít storm that was coming. They looked despondent rather than gung-ho.

Then there’s the nukes, but any Russian (along the command chain) carrying that out is committing suicide and killing his/her entire family.

Someone in the Kremlin will put their head above the parapet sooner rather later.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Definitely not broadcast on Russian tv during putards visit to Mariupol a woman is clearly heard shouting,

"It's all fake"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Indeed.

The empire collapsed over 30 years ago, but Russia still thinks they are one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

389 days since it started and numerous commentators/experts/analysts and boards.ie ‘military sages’ have been saying this and yet this ‘excuse of a human being’ still holds power and despite what some would interpret as recent ‘shows of weakness’, the bombing, shelling, war crimes, sh1t talk continues from the regime…..😡😡

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Field east

What’s wrong with that photo ?. He just forgot to put in his bottom false teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Field east

And he is still sucking on a hard sweet. He sucks at least two every day between meals. He got a ‘job’ done on his teeth on the right side and was advised to suck hard sweets on his left side only - hence that lump. Source provided if required - but it may take some time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It seems totally fake to me, especially his close contacts with people. It could cause a lot of issues for Putin if the media were to even suggest that it's a double. But it seems they have accepted that it's genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I would of thought if it was not him and it was a double one of the West's intelligence agencies would of came out and said it wasn't him. I'm sure it would of been great PR if Biden was out in the white house Lawn informing the media that it wasn't him. That's why I believe it was him as if it wasn't the above is exactly what would of happened. I say Putin came out of his lair to say screw the warrant that was just issued to him. I think if Western intelligence agencies say it wasn't him I would believe then it wasn't but since they haven't then I believe it was him. I know everyone is looking at different pics of him during it but western intelligence agencies would have teams looking at same with high powered computers checking same out. If they could shovel more **** onto putin they would and especially in this case they would love to but so far nothing and I don't think we will be told otherwise as sadly him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm sure that's going to go down well, particularly with the sanctions and the state not providing replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Exactly. It's utterly pointless discussing particular public appearences (was it a double or not!) unless there's firm proof and not something reputable/serious media would bother with I think. It is similar to the speculations on Putin's health.

Anyway Mariupol seems to be quite important to him/the regime + they are using it as a propaganda showcase for their invasion + "Russifying" occupied Ukraine.

They paint a picture of a massively expensive campaign conducted by Russia to win over the hearts and minds of the people of Mariupol, and rebuild a city damaged beyond recognition by Russia's own troops. The purpose of this campaign is to assimilate Mariupol and make it Russia's own.

Hence the publicised visit by Putin whether a double was used or not, or what parts of it are faked or distorted. Political leadership in totalitarian dictatorships (pretty much what Russia has morphed into now) just operate on secrecy and lies, it makes it impossible to trust anything that comes out.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

I am curious as to why Biden would get approval for $100m to fund the training of Ukrainian pilots when it's seemingly never had any intention of supplying them with planes?

And that was 9 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Its all about Cowardly Putins personal safety. While his lookalike is parading around in the public eye, risking his life, Putin is safe and sound in his luxurious suite in the Kremlin (or where ever he is now) far from covid or similarly infected people, or an assassination attempt.

And what will happen to Russia then if it does that? Shortly after Russia itself would glow so green, you would think that they were still celebrating St Patricks Day....Actually no, thats nit what would happen, but Russia have been guaranteed that if they resort to any kind of use of nuclear weapons / Dirty Bomb. their military will be annihilated, using conventional weapons. Plus nearly every other Country in the world ( inc. China) would turn against them ( Nth Korea being a possible exception,) If Putin could have used an atomic weapon ( even a so called "limited yield bomb) and gotten away with it, he'd have done it before now, given all the Russian Red Lines that have been crossed.

There's a post on here showing a Ukrainian soldier in a trench saying " Thank God, they are so stupid!!! Or as I have heard said, " if only they had half a brain, they might get dangerous"

And that's assuming the Russian Federation even has a functional Nuclear arsenal anymore.

I can fully imagine an oligarc being given the billions of rubles needed to keep such a complex operation going, and then out of the corner of his eye spot the price tag of with the Super-Yacht we wanted to buy, so that he could sail to Monaco with his trouphy wife....and mistresses....while taking a break from the huge dacha he built with the money that was earmarked for the Armata tank-system.

All the while,he saved a few Kopecks to throw at the old Soviet closed cities, to keep them closed with poorly paid troops and decades old bureacracy. But within those cities are the missle silos, with missles left to rot...just like the Buran shuttles. But the appearance of the Nukes remain. Russia still appears to be armed with them.

I feel that if any of the above matches reality, and the world finds out...all bets are off. A confirmed non-Nuclear Russia is toast in any fight with NATO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

That is all wishful thinking on your part. Sit back and relax in your comfy chair.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Did someone suggest that Russia would threaten to nuke the Hague recently,,,,

Mr Medvedev says hi .....

• Advertisement

if I remember correctly, Putin was told that his military would be destroyed using conventional weapons, not nuclear.

I would agree with that too. My thinking was that if the threat of Nukes was gone, then it's more likely for a conventional NATO force to roll in and use their conventional weapons to defeat the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,171 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You can only laugh that China is going to "discuss" a peace deal for Ukraine with Russia

The axis of evil discussing a deal together when Russia started the war

Hopefully Ukraine can do the job over the next few months.

Things could change outside anyone's control in regards to supplying Ukraine with money and military equipment etc. Just look what is happening in regards a few banks and the jitters that is causing there. If and I say big If like the bank financial crisis back in 2008 if that happened again or anything like that you would see countries maybe not giving as much help as they are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

If they lose 44 million come to Europe as refugees...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

A lot would a hell of a lot more would you are right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't recall the US being unable to maintain their occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan during and after the 2008 recession. Obama did pull forces out of Iraq, but downscaling the number of deployed troops was a campaign promise.

Suffice it to say that if the US has the political will to back Ukraine, they will find the money. It always seems to be the way in war. It just so happens that backing Ukraine against Russia is a military policy of the US's I agree with, as opposed to the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Yeah true if they have to find the money they will. Just hopefully it's something that doesn't happen and its not something Ukraine have to worry about.

You are right to wonder. Technically I understand that a nuclear weapon is not like a Mk82 or a landmine that can simply be stored for decades and then pulled out and it will just likely work. They have a shelf life as the electronics and stuff get fried and degraded by the radiation and the all important chemical explosives used to push the radioactive bits together rapidly also degrade relatively quickly. Nuclear warheads have a shelf-life and need to be refurbished extensively every couple of decades. The cost is enormous.

Even the missiles that launch the warheads need regular maintainance, like replacing the batteries that run the electronics. With my experience with electrolytic capacitors expiring rapidly, I wouldn't be surprised if the electronics need refurbishing every couple of decades also.

Given there doesn't appear to be any area in which military funds haven't been syphoned off via corruption, I doubt the Orc nuclear arsenal has suffered any less.

When Biden was in Kyiv, it was suggested Putrid ordered a test firing of a Satan nuclear missile and that it failed. Some months ago when they sent that big nuclear sub north to test the Neptune 'doomsday' torpedo, that test failed also.

I strongly suspect Putrid's big red button is looking more a sickly shade of yellow these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Russia is still an Empire, it doesn't just think it is.

That's an important distinction.

The peak of Russian Imperial power was manifest in the Soviet Union, no doubt there.

There are a lot of nations and tribes in the Russian State.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement