Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No race results for Domestic scene unless you pay for them

Options
  • 20-03-2023 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Whats you're feeling generally on 1. Quality of race results that are supplied and

2. These are almost exclusively only available through Sticky Bottle if you pay to see them

I've no problem with any site making a buck and journalistic articles need to be paid for. Sponsorship - no problem etc

BUT using their what seems like exclusive contact with race organisers to obtain these results and make it difficult for a fan of the local sport to see a local race result doesn't seem to be doing much for that promotion of the sport and even give a return / spotlight for the few business who throw a few quid at these club racers to show off their club and sponsors name

Thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

100% agree. For me it’s piss taking of the highest order by Stickybottle.

90% of clubs release through Facebook on race day but not everyone uses that these days.

Might head to Twitter & rant about this actually 😂😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Stickybottle don't have an exclusive deal, do they? Or are they simply the only site who collates and publishes them?

If the latter, I'd hardly blame stickybottle. They're not a charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

You can get race results by signing up to a free account. You only need to pay for journalistic articles like you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

I would think that Cycling Ireland should be posting results on their website, they’re happy to take the money so would be the minimum to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 spudpicker2022

One can get the results on Stickybottle via a free account which is great.

Clubs hosting races are generally pretty good to post results of their races (mostly on facebook and some via twitter). Plus photographers such as Sean Rowe provide excellent coverage. Others accounts such as Athy Wheelers facebook post great footage at times too. It's a bit scattered over Facebook but generally the information is there.

Stickybottle do a great job in summarizing it

Cycling Ireland have all the results on their website but it takes close to a week for them to be updated

Other good website is https://www.irishcyclingnews.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

How do you setup a free account I just tried and it wants €5 a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 spudpicker2022

try this link - https://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/results-all-races-boyne-grand-prix-co-meath/

you should see the "click here to join for free" option (see image below)...follow that, create a free account and then you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

I set up a " free acount" but it allowed me access about 4 to 5 times to full articles and now has reverted to just headlines or an opening paragraph of an article.

As I said ,i agree Sticky Bottle isn't a charity and should be paid for their journalism and interviews etc but there should be an accessible forum to collate all race results in a pretty prompt manner rather then an individual search through each club Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

There’s nothing stopping anyone doing it for free though.

You’re saying someone should collate them for free, but it appears no one wants to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

It should be very easy for CI to setup a system where the comms can log in directly after a race and post results to and it gets to their website, another issue that need sorting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It seems to be cookie based that it's blockling on, so just open the articles in an incognito window and it should load the whole thing

Post edited by Explosive_Cornflake on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Comms confirm results on race day so why the one week delay almost for those to get on the cycling Ireland website?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Having someone to do it is the obvious answer. Has anyone asked them why there’s a delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

surely there should be someone working in CI office (or remotely) to collate results and provide a copy for newspapers and other media platforms???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I imagine that most of the CI office staff don't work weekends, many probably race themselves, loads of reasons. Follow the clubs you want results from on twitter or FB is the easiest. Pass a motion at the next AGM asking for part time staff or overtime payments for staff at weekends. Stickybottle gets paid even for the free stuff as its got an ad revenue stream as well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Stickybottle are not paid for though your license fee and they provide results collated and written up by staff who should earn for doing so. Whats the issue with them charging for their content?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't think I've come across a single race promoter who will only give results to Stick Bottle. So there's no exclusivity.

What Sticky Bottle has is all the results in one place and is usually first with them as well. Saves you from having to poke around looking for the race promoter's website/Facebook/Twitter.

They're a business, not a charity. Don't like the product? Don't pay for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: I have deleted two posts. The posters did nothing wrong but it could be argued that it is effectively stealing. Anyway, if you want a way around a paywall, it is easy enough to google. I am neither disagreeing or agreeing with it, I am just not facilitating it against a small business. If you disagree, let me know via PM and I will undelete the posts is a reasonable point is made.

Advertisement