Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Data works perfectly. It’s the phone settings that may require tweaking to get it to work once you cross the border.

My data has worked in NI, UK, Spain, Portugal and Turkey no problem. Although charges apply in Turkey but I needed it then.

The main issue is that you might have to go into the sim application settings or the APN settings to ensure the right text is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

The Roaming works fine. I've been up North and in Spain and not had any issues with roaming, and I'm on the €7.99 plan. You just have to manually change to the Roaming profile.

1. Open your "48 SIM Menu" application from your app drawer, just search for it. NOTE: It is NOT the MY48 app, the app is called "48 SIM Menu"
    2. Select "When Abroad" from the menu that appears
    3. Select "Network Selection"
    4. Select "Manual"
    5. Select "International - Roaming Profile"

At this point you should get a little pop-up message saying "Refreshing SIM Data". That should be it. Some phones may need a restart, no idea why. Mine never has, but the wife's phone always ask to restart, even though both of us have Samsung phones.

And that's it. You're roaming.

Just remember, when you come back home to do the same as above, but select the "Local - Home Profile" or when in the "Network Selection" menu just switch it back to Automatic from manual.

A little bit of an inconvenience, but one I can live with for €7.99 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'd be more sceptical than others here. In Feb, I went to 2 EU countries. Data worked perfectly in country 1 with no settings required.

Data would not work in country 2 no matter what steps I applied.

So to answer your query, who knows

Ive been getting more and more dissatisfied with 48. I can't ring the UK with out buying a top up bundle, so when it says "All calls", its not really all calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

Did all of this (except a restart) today while in NI - it didn't work, I had no roaming data. I found it difficult to even get a network for calls and texts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭spakman

No operator gives all calls to anywhere in the world!

They all mean domestic (mobile and landline), not the likes of international or premium!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Not sure whats wrong, maybe get onto their support and get a replacement sim. Wife has been back and forth to NI a number of times and had no issues. And as I said, was in Spain last year and had no issues at all with data or calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I got a replacement SIM a few months ago, when 48 advice was to get a new SIM to fix the roaming problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Thanks all. I'll try the suggestions here, but should probably be prepared for it not to work I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I think the 48 APN needs to be added after connecting to the roaming network. The MCC/MNC is different abroad causing the home APN to be hidden while roaming. That might be what the SIM toolkit is doing but can't do it properly.

Adding APN manually might fix it, home APN may need to be deleted before leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I'd say its slightly worse than 50/50 :)

But the worst part is that you only find out when you cross the border and at that point if you are cut off you cant do anything about it.

We both got nbew sims as suggested in January.

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes one of our phones works and the other doesnt, and sometimes its switched back around. Both of us have had a couple of different phones over the last few years and its always the same.

I was talking to another 48 customer who roaming is working fine now. He thinks that its because he changed on to a more recent 48 membership. He thinks they are trying to get rid of all the old 7.99 and 10.99 customers from their "lifetime" membership by making things awkward for them.

It has been mentioned before but if you have a dual SIM phone, a good workaround is a Vodafone PAYG SIM that gives 5GB for €5 for 28 days which can be used for roaming.

Networks are longing to go back to when they could charge a fortune for roaming and making it as awkward as possible is their retaliation for the EU roaming rules.

They get away with it because of the "inefficient" comms regulation

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

I actually have a Vodafone sim from "switching" to them to get my son a phone at Christmas. At the time I had to top it up by €20 to avail of the offer, on the Vodafone X plan.

Can I just top this sim up by €5, or is there some specific plan that I need to select to avail of the 5gb for 28 days? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

It's an add on. You can top up and buy it from the app or text 5DATA to 50233.

It's saved me a few times when 48 roaming wasn't working being able to top up and get the add on on the hotel WiFi.

"Can I just top this sim up by €5"

Yes.

Better to add credit only when needed. Make sure data is off on the SIM as any data use without active add on will cost €1.99 and there won't be enough credit to buy the add on.

Also, just add €5, you can add €10 but not needed. Don't add €20 as that will activate the plan and there'll be zero credit. However that active plan will work while roaming but it will have cost 20 versus 5 for the add on.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

A friend has a valid 48 sim still on the €10.99 rate but he's not going to renew it. Pm if you're interested. I think it still has some data as well. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭beachhead

You will get calls and SMS almost immediately but data will take about 20 minutes which could involve turning off your phone and on again.This is with the "new" roaming sim cards being issued.This is my experience on the 4th March and 18th March with new sim card but "old" sim card was the same..No need to go near your settings with the new sim card.On the original e7.99 plan and you payment plan should not make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Ah here..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Both my teenagers have 48, I am the registered account owner of both and got 2 emails saying to order new sims to fix roaming issues. Did that and now the 14yo is over in the UK with his football team and data doesn’t work at all. Phone is connected to Vodafone UK. It used to be fine on the old sim after you change the roaming profile, now it’s useless. He’s on the 10.99 plan if that makes any difference. Anything he should do to fix? What APN setting should it be and where on an iphone does he set it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Went to Tunisia in Africa recently. 48 support told me that they don't offer roaming anywhere in Africa. But when I got over there I had coverage (obviously I turned roaming data off). 48 need to start giving accurate advice (and prices) for roaming.

Price plan makes no difference.Someone here might come on with a list of settings for an iphone or go the 48 community section on 48 support for instructions

Surprising. You're sure it wasn't using credit on your account?

48 are providing coverage in West Africa and SE Asia and not advertising it.Since Dec '22 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

What do you mean? The calls and texts when roaming in Africa cost credit but 48 are not displaying the prices anywhere and incorrectly claiming they don't offer the service.

What do you mean what do I mean? I just asked are you sure you weren't being charged from your credit?

Outside of Europe 48 charge the same as Tesco if you have credit on your account.

Do you know is there a way to prevent the sim using credit unbeknownst to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

This is the first Iv'e heard of the "new roaming sim". Been a customer on the 7:99 plan for a couple of years. Didn't receive any notification about a new sim. Should I order one directly or go on web chat. I find the service at home is excellent but roaming has been a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Advertisement