Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Always wanted to start a business, but I’m short on ideas

Options
  • 20-03-2023 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Firstly I’d just like to state: I’m well aware I am going about this backwards.

I have no idea.

I’m a recent Business graduate in my mid 20s working in Supply Chain in the Foods Sector.

I have no real skills - so short of offering guitar lessons I don’t know what I bring to the table,

The industry I’m in is heavily regulated with insurmountable start up costs, so using what (little) industry insights I have isn’t really practical.

I enjoy my job and I’m learning a lot, if I was to start something it would be outside of Business hours.

so where does that leave me?

Short of starting a passion project of sorts (YouTube/TikTok), I don’t know what I can do to scratch that itch.

How did you go about it? How would you recommend someone in my predicament goes about it?

Should I be looking to learn a separate skill of sorts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I think unless you have a very particular skill, it can be hard to start a business and do well with it. The best businesses are always service based as they require very little money to start up and run. It's fun to start a business outside of your 9-5. These were the most enjoyable years for me. If you think guitar lessons are the way to go, maybe you should do that for a few years and build up some income to open a music shop or a music lessons school. Once you have saved enough money from the lessons, it's easier to get started.

In the food sector, there is always the option to go down the route of distribution. This would involve buying/leasing a van and distributing products to supermarkets, restaurants, and garden centers for small artisan brands. Distributors usually start with ambient products before investing in a refrigerated van if they decide to go down this route. I know a few guys who started off working for distributors driving vans or working in the office or warehouse and then went on to start their own businesses. You are selling other people's products to stores at a healthy margin and its a nice, sociable job if that tickles your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

That's what I've been thinking.. My options are very limited. Honestly I think I'm better off learning a skill and starting a business following on from that down the line, I had the same notion a few years back which is why I started an electrician apprenticeship - which I promptly left because I now know that's certainly not for me.

Distribution wouldn't really be a goer with the side of the industry I work in, not to mention trying to do that along side a full time job dealing with perishable produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭n.d.os

What do you enjoy doing, even it it doesn't seem like a career goer at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You need to think of a service or product that a) customers will want or b) is cheaper than competitors.

Remember you're only as good as your last customer.

Advertisement