Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

still none the wiser where we are at , wouldn't like this lad selling my house either , you can barley hear a word he says at times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So the league has ended for us, and Shane O'Donnell or Meehan didn't feature at all.

Hard to see Meehan coming in at this stage ? O'Donnell will be it's a big ask.

Given we've no more matches before Tipp, let's have a go at predicting the starting team:

Quilligan

A.Hogan - Cleary - Flanagan

Ryan - Conlon - McInerney

Taylor - David Fitz (Malone if suspended).

Reidy - Kelly - O'Donnell

Rodgers - A.McCarthy - Duggan

In terms of new players, we have Hogan, Rodgers should now be starting and I guess Aidan McCarthy is .

Not sure what we do at center back as no way Conlon can play every game. McInerney switching across and Morey or Cian Galvin getting a chance.

Post edited by keeponhurling on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

League done, I don't think it's possible for Meehan to come in at this stage, we've a very expierenced team on most lines but very few new players. McCarthy is coming good with the frees which is great, having himself, Duggan and Kelly available for the frees is a major bonus but we still will struggle from 5 to 12.

First round against Tipp is crucial now, we have to get something from this 1, a 6 day turn around is a huge ask to play Limerick (yes I know they have the same 6 days) but if we can get a win in the first day we'll have 2 weeks to prepare for Waterford in Thurles which depending on the results could mean it'd be a playoff for the All Ireland series.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing anything to say that we're improving, if anything we're regressing but get a result the first day out and anything can happen, momentum is a huge factor.

I suppose if there was one thing we needed to sort out after last year, it was a free-taker. We'd be Munster champions if we had that. Hopefully McCarthy is the solution.

The other thing was a replacement center back and not sure we've really done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Conlon is a big worry for me. He looks that yard slower than last year and he seems to want to break every tackle instead of recycling. He's still the best option and he could come on strong. He's never let Clare down before. Hard to see us getting out of Munster if we don't beat Tipperary. We should be beating them, they didn't become world beaters over night. Put it this way we can put it up to Limerick who regularly paste Tipp so we should be able to beat them at home. Just can't give them all these goal chances.

Our forwards will put up a big score. Iv no issues with them at all. Its the backs and not the full backs this year. It's the half backs ..Ryan, Conlon and McInerney need to prevent ball going over them or through them..thats all .

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In my opinion Conlon wasn't a solution at 6 in the first place, he was an All Start forward FFS and we brought him back to solve a problem that wasn't there, Cleary was a solid 6 in my opinion, no one was getting through the centre easily but afer we leaked a load of goals David Mc was jetisoned from full back. Out setup doesn't make life easier for any half backline, having a full back line so close to goals and a midfield full of forwards just leaves us way too exposed, add in a 34 year old centre back and we're just leaving ourselves wide open but the way we are going it's more a shootout we're hoping for rather than stopping the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

it would seem as though Lohan has his facts wrong there about Fitzgerald's red card, by all accounts he will have to serve that suspension for the Championship, and that's first game up against Tipp, so we are on the back foot even before we start at all.. nice one...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

View will be terrible for the Minor Match tonight in Shannon. Tickets sold out and there'll be umbrellas up everywhere. If you're at the back, you're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭fire_man

Where and when can you get tickets for Munster hurling games?I am looking to get some for Limerick game.

Well well, what a fantastic start for Clare minors ! That goal by Collins was incredible.

Next up for us in this round robin is Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds next Tuesday.

Given that it's only 2 years since our minors lost by 40 points, and Tipp are current All-Ireland champions, this is a very pleasing and welcome win.

• Advertisement

The U20s start their campaign v Tipp on Cusack Park on Saturday.

It feels like a long time since we even won a match at this level, but under the round robin system we get guaranteed 4 games - so hopefully this is the year to put it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Glenomra

In fairness, the squad 2 years ago was completely different, so whether it was a win or a loss by 40 points, I don’t think referencing it means anything. Tipp’s team insanely different too (missing best player from last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I'm pretty sure it's a new Tipp team. Rowan and Ryan would have been subs last year.

Brian O'Connell used a sweeper in the munster final last year - is he still using one?

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

It is relevant, as losing by 40 points is not so much a reflection of the talent, rather the shambolic lack of preparation.

I know the Tipp team is different from last year, but still. I’d rate a win over them much more than say a Kerry or a Waterford. We know they consistently produce a lot of good hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Glenomra

[Where To Buy

General Information

There are many ways to purchase tickets for GAA matches including:

• On-line via this website
    • Selected SuperValu & Centra stores mapped in our store finder below]

You can buy tickets online through the GAA web site above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭fire_man

Can you only buy tickets a wk or two before Championship game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

Only Leinster selling tickets for their games so far, will keep an eye on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'd say they should be selling shortly. They are up on Ticketmaster, but not on sale yet.

Clare 2-18 Limerick 0-9

in my best pat spillane accent the best way to describe todays game is , 'while clare and limerick are heading to division 3 ,limerick reminded us today what a division 4 team look like '

yes it was that bad limerick didnt want to be there . they have had a turbulent few months and look to have gone backwards about 3 years since the last time the two teams met 11 months ago , clare made 8 or 9 changes from the trip to derry , freshening things up by starting mark mcinerney , daniel walsh , ike ugweru ,cillian and brendy rouine, ciaran downs and micheal garry , and the future of clare football did not disappoint

the game was controlled from start to finish leading by 8 at half time , it turned into a challenge game in the second half goals at either end of the half by mark mcinerney and ciaran downes and a limerick sending off in between for james naughton didnt make the game any easier on the shannonsiders

we looked fresh today . we actually moved the ball well moved it fast , which makes me ask did we get caught up in such a rut in beating louth one of kildare/meath/cork and final game against limerick and reach 6 points every year that we eventually got caught sleeping

we have excellent players in this team , mcmahon is almost a direct replacement to his neighbors from clondegad , the only diffrence i see is brennan was a better hurler , bohannan is a top midfielder ,he proved this against the likes of mccarthy of dublin ,rodgers of derry and mcguire of cork this year and feealy of kildare

the more i look at it we should never be in this mess , but as we face limerick again next year a really good westmeath side an improving down and offally teams along with sligo, wicklow and Antrim the quota of points has now gone from 6 to 10 or maybe even 12 to get back to where we were today at 2 o'clock , we have the players do we have the fight

clare scorers

Mark McInerney 1-03 1

Emmet McMahon 0-05

Keelan Sexton 0-05

Aaron Griffin 0-03

Daniel Walsh 0-01

Podge 0-01

Shane Griffin 0-01

just on the hurling over the week , great win by the minors on wednesday night , some of them lads look really promising , young michael collins's goal in the second half was outstanding

its also great to see a strong cratloe/clonlara contingent in that side , they have some of the best underage coaching in the county so when a fella makes the clare team from south clare you take notice

yesterday was a really good game in the 20s , ref was a bit confusing let a lot of stuff go then blew for some very soft things , but in truth i felt tipperary were the better side marginally , we raced in to a big lead inside the first 1/4 while tipp lead by a point by half time , and most of the second half until late in the game when the lead see sawed a few times before patrick crotty notched over an equalizer late in the game

terrance fahey has done some job with that team . about 5 or 6 of that team that started yesterday lost by 40 points to cork a few years back not to mention the work he has done with coneeley and hogan at the back , we might be asking questions in clare hurling about 3 and 6 come championship but these two boys wont be long answering them questions in years to come , inside forward line is a little light but young smythe from kilenana is promising as we all know

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Emmet McMahon is doing OK, but he is no Gary Brennan.

This has proven to be a particularly weak Div 2 with Meath and Kildare a shambles and Limerick players revolting against their manager

Well the Under 20's showed great character again to come back and salvage a draw, they are a hard working, useful tenacious side. but I must say also very frustrating to watch as time and time again coming out of defence they try to break the tackle, run into traffic, turn over ball and give up the cheap scores. If they omitted this from their game plan they would clearly be celebrating 2 wins now instead of 2 draws

oh and who are these geniuses within the Gaa that scheduled Clare and Limerick to play 2 games within the space of 4 days? absolutely mind - boggling stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

Same for both of them. College exams coming etc. Just get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

To be fair Clare couldn't provide a venue for a midweek game so was changed to the Saturday. Limerick game moved because of the weather so worked out fair.

• Ya have to admit Clare definitely deserved at least a draw. Crotty chap was very good

• Advertisement

From watching Terence Fahey/ Thomas Kelly coached teams its not something they do very often

They were over the tulla team that won the hearty cup, and both have been involved with their own clubs , whitegate and inagh/K you never associated that type of hurling with either clubs or school

It was a tactic to compromise Limericks taller backs , but it was awful to watch

Advertisement