Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MickoMoore81

Rugby one of the two most entertaining sports. Haha your having a laugh.Have you ever watched a local rugby club game? Absolutely horrendous. Woeful stuff to watch. Give me a GAA or football match anyday

Post edited by MickoMoore81 on

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Amazing how similar this debate is with the hurling one on a different thread a few weeks ago. So many are worried sick that we might slow the games down by reducing or removing the handpass. Football is arguably slower now than it ever was and goes into reverse a lot of the time with backwards and cross field passes. Hurling was known as the fastest game in the world 50 years ago when there was no hand passing yet some say any tinkering with the handpass might do untold by god forbid 'slowing it down' a wee bit. Its time to see handpassing for what it is, a skill less and boring method of keeping possession. Pointing to a few scores over a long period as evidence to keep it doesnt wash either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Because you have little or no understanding. If you honestly think popping over points from 70+ metres is entertaining, off you go and fill your boots. Both codes have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Anyone proposing a rule change in Gaelic football, or hurling for that matter, should be made to consider the following...

1. Can a lone neutral referee with no neutral linesmen or umpires practically apply such a rule on their own in a game, not to mention that does the rule place a significant burden on them to apply the laws of the game more than what they already do?
    2. Can the rule be practically implemented for all games played on a full sized playing field, from say U13 up to adult?
    3. Any such proposal must make a case as to how they think will help the game in its overall context and not just with one part of it - you must be prepared to accept counterarguments that point out how such a rule could be detrimental as an obvious byproduct of such a rule being brought in, or how that such a rule change will add no essential value to having an open, flowing game taking place.

With (1) above, if it is not practical for a lone neutral referee to be able to apply a new rule change, then it goes straight in the bin. Such examples would include "shot clocks" and very likely also the zoning of specific players. With (2), if the answer is no then it either goes straight in the bin also, or that such a proposal needs to be amended at certain playing levels, for example a rule suggesting that a kickout must cross the defending 45 metre line could prove difficult for the player kicking the ball out at young juvenile levels, in particular if they're playing into a strong wind. (3) Is essentially a "burden of proof" argument where it is up to those wanting to make the amendment to make a constructive case. For example, for those advocating a limit on consecutive handpasses I would suggest this would kill off opportunities for teams to make such short quick passes in the build up to scoring a goal that often tears holes in opposing defences as the attack presses up the field.

If all three of the above result in a valid consensus that a rule change is worth trying, then it shouldn't be immediately adopted at Congress but be subject to a two year trial to be played in certain competitions at both club & county level, to be followed up by appointed assessors to judge how the rule may have changed how such games are played, for better or worse, and then voted for at Congress. And if a new playing rule is adopted, it is subject to a mandatory revision vote three years later (though instead of a 2/3rds vote to change a playing rule, at this revision a simple majority vote would determine wherever the playing rule is either dropped or permanently adopted).

IMO there is definitely scope in looking at to how certain changes in any sport could result in both a better spectacle and playing environment for everyone involved, but I must say that I can think of no other sporting code that I'm aware of that has a large amount of those that regularly follow it that engage in self-flagellation than in Gaelic football. Ironically it's the opposite for hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭megadodge

Ah here now, down with that sort of post.

Don't you know you're not supposed to think before you post on this thread?

Not that you'll get many replies tonight, they're all down in the pub listening to other idiotic suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

You do to an extent have to think about a lone ref and no umpires etc but thats the same with all sports and it isnt an issue. they have rule variations at some levels where at higher levels the games are refereed slightly differently because there is more officials/higher level of officials. nothing wrong with that,

U13 should be refereed differently to adult level with different rules and different expectations. both of players and officials. you should be able to put in some rules in only from a certain age level like the example you give with younger players and kick outs.

I do agree about rules and trials at club and county level. closed trials at different levels in different counties/areas. Refs also need better training. needs to be full time ref development officers working in several counties or in case of large counties for that county alone. they are experienced officials and will meet with refs on fortnightly/monthly basis to discuss rules/training etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭crusd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭threeball

No, he can do everything he can do now, solo run, bounce etc but once he includes one solo he must kick the ball when moving possession on. In both mulligans and murchans goal the end result was a kick. Most of the best attacking scores come from a kick. Only some very quick intricate attacking handpassing can come close. Like the goal Corofin scored a fee years ago.

It's mainly to stop the practice of a guy soloing around his own 45 because once he solos a kick must follow. So now the opposition can go full court press. A 5m handpass is no longer and option and any kick especially if under pressure making a turnover far more likely. This will result in attacking teams leaving defenders further back and forwards further forward as the risk/reward balance shifts.

Why. Are you telling me that if a ref sees a player solo and he handpasses afterwards he couldn't recognise it as a foul. But he can call a mark where he must account for the positioning of 2 players and their actions in less than 3secs. They already police the double hop which is harder to spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Lad it won’t work, there’ll be way too much inconsistency implementing it.

non runner.

How can you claim there's too much inconsistency when there's never been a trial of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I could see it going down like a lead balloon among the players, just like the 3 handpass experiment.

January 2019.

An updated poll of inter-county players has shown that 90% of them believe the new handpass limit has had a negative impact on the game.

After 96% voiced opposition to the change before it was put into practice in the pre-season games, a survey conducted by the Gaelic Players Association ahead of Saturday’s Central Council meeting has revealed 62% of respondents feel it has had a “very negative” effect on Gaelic football and 28% a “somewhat negative” effect.

The GPA also sought the opinions of inter-county managers with 25 of the 32 responding to the survey. Of the 25, 13 of them (52%) said the quota of three consecutive hand-passes was having a “very negative” impact and six (19%) a “somewhat negative” one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭megadodge

"...This will result in attacking teams leaving defenders further back and forwards further forward as the risk/reward balance shifts"

And how exactly is that a good thing?

The attacking team will attack with 8/9 players the but defending team will still defend with 14.

Seriously, just think about that. Loads and loads of turnovers and very few scores. And you think that's going to improve the game????

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Piskin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

So many suggestions for rule changes in Gaelic Football are ostensibly to do with encouraging positive play and so improving the game as a spectacle, and yet so many of these involve making attacking much harder/defending much easier.

The maximum number of handpasses rule that was trialled and binned because players hated it was one such rule. It would have led to blanket defences being even more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Might be worth while having a gander at Monaghan vs Tyrone today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I saw some of the scores in the games yesterday, some nice points kicked, I think it was an Armagh point that looked really good, lovely technique used by the player. So I think the players still have plenty of skill but it is the way the game is played that is ruining football.

1:48

Mon first possession 22 hand passes lose possession…… kinda says it all

• Advertisement

An individual team being sh*te does not mean a whole sport is sh*te.

If you look at the division one table - its almost as if its ordered from positive outlook to negative outlook, Tyrone having overtaken Armagh in that respect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

The game is essentially played like basketball nowadays with both teams bringing everyone back to defend each possession. A shot clock wouldn't do any harm. I'm sick of seeing teams constantly punt unchallenged to teammates in a D-shaped arc about 40 yards out from goal until one of maybe two players finds possession in the right spot at right time. So predictable.

Another reason for shot clock is football is very vulnerable to teams potentially smothering possession for 10 mins if they wanted to close out a close game (like Dublin used to a lesser extent a few years back).

What you want is hurling so. The most important attribute being able to shoot from distance. Working an opportunity inside being of no value as you will run out of time. Teams holding even more players back if they believe the other team doesn't have the outside shooters as they ultimately know possession will be handed back to them. Basically even more like basketball in which the outside shooter is now the stand out "skill"

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Butson

Galway v Armagh on Saturday evening.

3 scores in 25 mins of football. The Armagh goal was hilarious. Goalkeeper out on the halfway line, lobs a shot in that goes straight into the goal.

Rubbish.

Did any of you hear them talking about diving in Gaelic football yesterday? it was on off the ball I think. I heard them saying it was going to be on.

I think it is getting some coverage recently, because of the TV programme about Aidan O'Mahony of Kerry. Referring back to his dive against Cork in 2007. It is nothing new.

Never knew about that dive, I remember a Tyrone player diving a few years ago, there was a big discussion about his dive.

One thing I hate is when a player with the ball pulls the opposition players arm into him, making it look like the opposition player has fouled him. I remember a player doing that to me year ago, its just the lowest of the low in my book, if you are going to cheat in a game, you may as well just not play the game.

If some people get their way with a shot clock a fluke from a shot lobbed in from halfway will be the only way a goal will be scored in the future.

And of course there never was a low scoring game or a fluky goal 30 years ago

Absolutely correct, both games that I saw on Tna G yesterday confirmed that this is correct.

No interest whatsoever in engaging the opposition inside their own half once they have the ball.

Its all funnel back and set up the bus.

Load of fcukkery.

• Advertisement

Both games? I would have thought you would avoid watching any football, given how poor you think it is.

Advertisement