Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

Looked like cotton buds to me, possible ear infection and trying to keep the wind/rain out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I agree this league is a load of Shyte.

We’re all second guessing about where we’re actually at. Is it a part of a grand master plan by a Davy to sacrifice the league and come out all guns blazing in the championship? I wouldn’t go that far but we’re a damn sight better than we’ve shown. Look at the the players we were without today. Aussie, Barron, Prunty, Bennett, and even McNulty who is a mainstay in the side. What do we expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

It’s interesting to see lads here complaining about the league, its quality. And at the same time Limerick, Tipp & our own Rebels have no complaints at all. Kilkenny too, I suppose.

Is it a case of if you’re using the league properly you have no cribs about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

A shame

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

Would you not be more interested in commenting on a cork thread instead of a Waterford one so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

the majority of cork lads are so smug and full of themselves they just can’t help it

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

They’d want to keep their opinions for the “Real Capital” never mind what we’re doing down here 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

It was nice to see Camogie on display before the main game today. I’m not sure why this doesn’t happen more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i seen that earlier today , i blame one man for this regression amd its a clare man !!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jamesbond2022

He did the same with Conor Mac in Wexford and Conor McGrath in Clare really dangerous full forwards all running around midfield not taking shots ruined them

• Advertisement

thank god someone else saw it , i taught i was going mad , totally ruined mcgrath in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Poor enough game but to be fair conditions were terrible which wasn’t conducive to a free flowing game. Nothing much to add that hasn’t already been mentioned – wides again were awful at times and how on earth did Tom Barron manage to put it over when a goal looked easier to score around halfway through the second half? Had he scored that I reckon we would have gone on to win as we were on the up at the time. Concerning that we’re not scoring enough goals, failed to hit the net against Tipp and KK. We’re going to need at least 2 goals a game to have any chance come championship.

Positives are that Conor Ryan, Paudie Fitz, Tadhg and Tom Barron all did well.

Really not sure where it leaves us going into championship, one thing for certain is that we’ll be written off by everyone and not given a hope of getting out of Munster. Without looking at the odds but I’d say we’re most definitely least favourites to do so. Contrasting with this time last year when it was the exact opposite, it will be fascinating to see if this approach will yield any better outcome as going in with the country talking about us certainly didn’t do any favours twelve months ago. Hoping that our history of going into games as written off underdogs combined with hopefully Davy holding a few things back will surprise a few in a few weeks. However, as someone else mentioned it’s hard to see how we just flip this switch and all of a sudden we’re a totally different team playing a different style. I’m sure if that does transpire and we get results in championship, we’ll look back and say it was a good call to treat the league as essentially a series of challenge games and keep the opposition guessing but I’m not convinced that’s how it will go…

Think we’re all looking to the championship in more hope than expectation at this stage. I don’t know if it’s a good or bad thing that Limerick are first up. The good news is that we’ll go into that game under no pressure and whatever happens, it’s the hardest game out of the way. The bad news is a heavy defeat coupled with a poor showing won’t do much for confidence heading into the Cork game.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jamesbond2022

I’m not from Clare

But rather than set a team up to maximise the strengths of the players he has Davy always just goes with his system backs running up the field taking pot shots all the Lethal forwards running away from the opposition goal or out towards the corner flag to collect ball usually with 2 men on them with no option but to pass the ball back the field did it with Clare o donnell inside on his own chin Mac Donald Rory o Connor Dessie Hutchinson even Tony Kelly

Its desperate to watch him having all these classy forwards miles from the goal not being allowed shoot from where there most dangerous

There just wasted running around out at midfield handpassing and laying ball off

hes the most stubborn man in the country , it normally works in year one or two but after that forget about it , i think john kiely is too smart for his stupid systems ,

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Another game and not one bit the wiser with what Davy is actually attempting to achieve with this bunch of players.

In my opinion we have a very talented group of players, with enough talent to push for an All Ireland but at the moment we have no direction, or strategy. reading some of the comments of the Wexford and Clare lads who have had previous experience of Davy, his blueprint seems to be exactly the same., as it was when he first came to Waterford - he seems to think he is the cleverest and most astute of tacticians, always looking to pull a master stroke by placing lads in unexpected places. When it works once in a blue moon he a genius, when it goes wrong it is never really his fault is it!!

The best Managers tend to identity their players best strengths and try to build good strategies that allow players to use these strengths to the best of their ability, while putting in good structures and work ethic designed to cover any weaknesses.

One comment on yesterdays game, I know Billy Nolan is supposedly a good long distance free taker, but he came out for three frees yesterday put one a good distance wide, and the other two dropped into the square. I thought maybe he was hitting into a gale, but then in the second half you see the KK player driving one between the posts from similar distance. What is he doing hitting the ball so high, from puck outs also, unless you have a gale behind your back that catches the ball and carries it, it takes so much distance can off the strike and also makes it a backs ball all day long when it drops short. Surely this can and has to be addressed, it is so frustrating to watch.

It is only the league, we have a lot of injuries (which is a major concern) and Davy is trying to learn about his players but honestly has anyone seen anything that would give you confidence that we are on on the right road - because I for one am trying to pick out some positives but so far it is slim pickings.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I don't share the doom and gloom of most on here. I do accept the match yesterday was a dreadful spectacle and there's no denying that Dessie isn't as threatening when so far withdrawn. I also accept that some people just dislike Davy.

However any discussion of yesterday can't ignore both teams set out with 7 defenders and at least 3 midfielders. The conditions also acted as an extra defender for both sides as the surface was surprisingly poor even allowing for the recent rain. That was also reflected in puck outs as both sides went short as a rule. Indeed both teams only won a single puck out each beyond the opposition 65.

Waterford had 12 wides, 4 dropped short. Kilkenny had 7 wides, 1 short and Billy made one save which came back for a free as the ref played advantage. Waterford also had the best goal chance when Tom Barron should have scored. They also had two more opportunities when they had free runners off the shoulder but only got a point from one of them. Kilkenny did have a scramble that went wide in the second half. For me this wasn't Kilkenny having an "off day" and Waterford not good enough to beat them, the stats simply don't support that.

Kilkenny had no player score more than a point from play which to me indicates that we played well defensively. I was surprised that Mark Fitzgerald was criticised here for losing a ball when coming out with it as he had no long option and had no alternative but to come from deep. Even Tadhg who was excellent lost an odd ball in the conditions. Ironically our best player up to now in Calum Lyons had a below par outing. I haven't seen him mentioned previously but I think Monty has shown up well in every game thus far and could be the physical presence in midfield we've missed since Kevin Moran.

I totally agree we need to have another option rather than running it, and the return of Michael Kiely would address that. We obviously has a string of other players to return, same as Kilkenny do, but despite media talk last year I think the loss of a big player affects us more as we don't have the depth of other teams.

I still think our performance against Tipp was our best so far up until the red card and if Owens saw the full incident it would have been a red card each. The intensity of that match eas way beyond any of our other games but we still got more out of yesterday than we did against Laois or Antrim. Whether it's enough to get out of Munster is questionable as the standard is higher again this year.

If anyone is interested, I get my stats from gaastatsman on Twitter and there's more there to look at once the game is shown on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McBurgermacs

How does the last play of the game get categorised in the stats? (Other than, what not to do when needing a goal from the last play of the game). From play or a free dropped short?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

It couldn't be recorded as a free as the ball was played to Billy and passed again. It wouldn't be recorded as dropped short either as it wasn't an attempt at a score but a pass. If you look at the chart with the shots on it, it doesn't appear as one that dropped short.

And I agree that the chances of it working were minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McBurgermacs

Your explanation makes sense thanks. (The play did not).

I assume its rare enough, for stats purposes, to have a scoreable free not attempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Are the players off on a training camp now? These breaks have worked wonders for squads in the past. With regard to heavy training, I did notice one passage of play in the second half where Fagan’s legs were completely gone and he had to dig deep just to close someone down. You wouldn’t know what’s going on in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A few didn't exactly come off as 'successful' particularly 2019 but hopefully this one fits its purpose and brings the squad on.

By god we need it, the provincial championships are just so unbalanced. Leinster counties have games against Antrim and Westmeath while it's dog it dog each week in Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

Munster and Leinster councils will never vote for their own competitions to be abolished so thats unlikely to change.

We can't really complain as we have just been sh1te every year of the round Robin!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I think blueflame is dead on when he writes: "The best Managers tend to identity their players best strengths and try to build good strategies that allow players to use these strengths to the best of their ability, while putting in good structures and work ethic designed to cover any weaknesses". Several commentators have identified one of the keys to Ireland's rugby success as being the way Andy Farrell developed a style of play suited to the strengths of the available players, whereas Joe Schmidt had a single formula which worked until other teams figured out how to counter it.

Ballygunner are the outstanding example of how a superb game plan was developed to get the maximum return from the abilities of the available players. However, if the people concerned ever get a chance to do the same with the Waterford team, it will probably be too late for the current squad of players. Watching Dessie Hutchinson out in midfield yesterday reminded me of Stephen Bennett and Patrick Curran foraging for ball in their own half of the field in the Derek McGrath days. These are three of the best finishers Waterford ever produced.

As regards the last play in yesterday's game, I think it was the right way to play it. It is much easier for a massed defence to defend a high lobbing ball coming straight in than a dipping ball coming in at an angle. Unfortunately Tadhg slightly overhit it and it went over the target area.

Your point is….? 🤔

We’re happy enough with qualifying from the much stronger group in first position. It’s good to see the young lads improving. And they’re playing hurling which is more than everyone can say. Plus their manager can keep his mouth shut.

You're manager had the Waterford job heading into the 2019 season but due to factors could not take it the role at the time. Ryan is definitely doing great job with ye at the moment,

What could of been for us if he took it

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Where did the team go in 2019, I can’t recall it? I’m sure any team that goes gets through an awful lot of work, physically & tactically, but my main memory of these camps is that injuries are inevitable & we can scarcely afford any more.

Think it was a Portugal trip after the League final defeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

Like most people we will have to wait till the Championship to cast judgement.

That said.....

For me the annoyance with Davy is, any team he manages, plays to Davy's way rather than Davy playing a style that best suits his players.

Last year's championship was no doubt a **** show but that said, had Cahill have stayed put we would be very confident going into this year's championship as we know the style and play and could all buy into the commitment, and would have fully expected to beat KK yesterday even with the injuries.

Hearing Davy talk of it taking him 2-3 years in Clare to win an AI and 2-3 years in Wexford to win Leinster has me very confused.

The only logic I could see with Davy's appointment is that he would have had a plan/proposal to win an AI in 12-24 months.

At the end of the day this is a settled squad, who have appeared in AI semi final and final, and won a league.

I would have expected any manger that came in to continue a similar style of play with one of two tweeks, rather than a complete shift in style of play and tactics.

I'm completely lost to what we are trying and where we are going. I'm hoping we all end up eating our words and the lads are training so hard that they are just fatigued in the league games.

If not then we are in trouble.

Advertisement