Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

13m? Surely it's more than that.

We got the guts of a 100 when we won it I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think Swiss Ramble reported us as winning £85m at the time so over a €100m anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Qualifying for the group stage is a guaranteed €15M for each club.

€600M is split between the 32 group stage clubs ranked based upon their UEFA coefficient. This chunk of prize money is split into 528 shares. The bottom ranked club gets 1 share (€1.136M), the number of shares is incremental with the #1 ranked team receiving 32 shares (€36.364M).

A group stage draw earns €930k, a win is worth €2.8M.

Qualifying for the last 16 earns €9.6M.

Quater-finalists earn €10.6M.

Semi-finalists earn €12.5M.

Runners up earn €15.5M.

Winners earn €20M.

In addition to the performance based prize money, there is €300M which is paid out based upon the tv broadcasts. €150M is split based upon the size of the tv audience for each country represented. The other €150M is split based upon the percentage of games each club played in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

That looks like one of those AI filters that ages you! Rodriguez looks about 50!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

After Newcastle win and with the games we have coming up I can see us finishing 9th or 10th,at least we won't be in Europa lge or conference lge that would be a real disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

We'll be in top6 I imagine...if not the team/squad won't have tried and that's worse than a year in the EL imo.

Are you just trolling at this stage?? there is no chance we are finishing in 10th spot...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Can't understand the logic of getting into the EL as being a disaster. I don't think we'll get top 4 this season, too inconsistent to make it.There is likely to be more than usual incoming and outgoing players this summer, so next season is likely to be another transitional season. We will not be challenging for the title next season regardless if we are in the EL or not in Europe at all. In my opinion the group stages of the EL could be a great opportunity to integrate new players into the team, give younger players like Carvalho and Ramsey ( if fit) game time. We would also have a decent chance of winning it, which would get us back into the CL. Getting top 4 next season will not be easy, all our rivals will strengthen again, City, United, Arsenal, Newcastle, plus Spurs and Chelsea, so the competition for top 4 next season is likely to be the toughest yet, the EL might represent the easiest way back to the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

EL was a disaster when we were a less well off club with a lower revenue. We couldn't afford a large top quality squad then so we'd have to fill out with mediocre players and then we'd be stuck with them. Essentially there were spiralling long term effects.

Now we're earning as much as most in the world and can still offer really good wages to top players. EL is no longer a disaster and as mentioned above is probably the best chance in a few years to bring through a few young players. CL is obviously still our preferred competition but we can get benefits from EL if it were to happen.

I'm not writing off 4th untill its mathematically impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Looks like we are working our way through the five stages of grief folks

1. Denial - We'll definitely get CL
    2. Anger - Why didn't we invest in midfield?
    3. Grief - It's such a pity this great team is going to fall away like this
    4. Bargaining - If Spurs and Newcastle, keep dropping points, we can still get CL!
    5. Acceptance - The Europa League would be a great opportunity to bring through young players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The run in for 4th is always a bit chaotic.

Tis not over till it's over. There is a bounce in this dead cat yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You forgot the most important of all:

6: No 1230 kick offs on Saturdays on EL gameweeks with lacklustre displays to ruin our weekends

There have been plenty of lacklustre displays this season at every kick off time slot.

Looks like Spurs are just as useless as us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Spurs throwing away their lead is some sort of a green shoot this weekend anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

They're just making it easier for Newcastle. Even if we somehow remember how to play every week and not just when the mood takes us at Anfield, it makes little odds how bad Spurs are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Basically the same ppg at this stage (right at the moment, their ppg is 0.13 better than ours)... win the two games in hand, and they're just 1 point ahead. Really just comes down to who can put a couple of decent little runs together over the final 12 games. The teams going for top 4 are all pretty inconsistent, and capable of dropping points to anyone. Newcastle probably in pole position really, but they're a major mystery box of a team at this stage too.

Us winning the 2 games in hand is a longshot if they are our next two.

Regardless, we are worse than spurs so far this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well one of them is effectively Fulham at home, and our home form is a damn sight better than our away

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Just checked the schedule - one of the games in hand over Spurs is Man City away (long shot alright), the other is Fulham at Anfield. So we'd probably expect a win and a loss - though wouldn't be shocked by 4 points out of them either.

We've been ever so slightly worse than Spurs, but with such a tiny margin (again, 0.13 ppg) between us that even the slightest improvement (or deterioration from them) would see us better them. And with things clearly falling apart over there with the manager at the moment (him today talking about what a loser club they are, for instance), I'm more worried about Newcastle tbh. We also still have to play Spurs at Anfield, which gives us the edge in that battle.

Once we get past these next 2 tricky away games, the rest of our away fixtures are a lot handier. As you say, home form is grand - 3rd in the league. Really need to start picking up more away points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That's the spirit, form can change and we might get it right on the road. I genuinely think we'll still get top 4, it's not going to be pretty but come on lads Newcastle and Spurs can be beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

The run in for 4th is a slow bicycle race that all fans seem to forget by March each year, when they think you need to be good to finish 4th rather than the least absolute dogshite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Race for fourth nearly always goes down to the last game of the season.

We just haven't had to pay too much attention tonit over the 5 years or so.

As poor as Spurs have been this season and they appear to be in total meltdown atm, they are still in a better position than us, that shows how bad we are. I doubt Conte will last much longer after his outburst last night, so they'll get a new manager bounce once he goes. Spurs aren't even the main opposition for 4th, Newcastle are in my opinion strong favorites to take 4th, seem to have got over their dip in form, the club is stable with everyone pulling in the same direction and they know the future is going to get even better for them. We are too inconsistent especially away, we can't even beat the bottom clubs away all season

Tyler Morton should be in the Blackburn lineup for their FA Cup quarterfinal against Sheffield Utd. The game is on ITV at 12:00 today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Advertisement

To be fair,I don't think many on here genuinely that Bellingham was an option when we couldn't get a deal negotiated last summer. Him going to the World Cup as a Dortmund player was always going to end our pursuit, our only hope would have been if he absolutely stunk the place out over there. Add in now that as a 19 year he's leading this Dortmund team on the most unlikely title challenge. They went top over the weekend after beating Koln 6-1..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Them going top was thanks to Xabi Alonso too. Leverkusen beat Bayern, looks like he's doing a great job there.

They were seventeenth when he took over, up to 8th now. Since he took over they're the fourth best team in the Bundesliga

Ya Xabi is flying it, very interesting to see how he progresses in the coming years.

I'd love top see Dortmund win it again, they have been a 2nd side that I have followed for a long time now and were completely written off this summer after losing Haaland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I know these things never line up, but if had a good few years there, and took over from Klopp when the time comes, I'd be like a kid at Christmas. Love Xabi

I'm sure you're not alone in having a soft spot for Dortmund, I'd say most Liverpool fans do!

Last summer was our chance to sign him, his value was only going to go up. I'm happy enough that we won't be signing him, as it means we can look at signing 2 or 3 midfielders rather than blowing our budget on one player (knowing our luck he'd have got injured straight away). Unfortunately I think the club wasted too much time on a player they were always likely to be outsiders to sign, instead of looking at more realistic signings last summer, its meant we're now almost 12 months down the line and our midfield is in a really poor state, when we could have had at least 1 new midfield settled into the squad by now. Not sure whose ultimately responsible, but, the squad management and recruitment this season has been really poor.

Ya I started following them after their 97 Champions League final. We signed Riedle then that summer after he got the 2 goals in the final and I was very excited by that....unfortunately it didn't quite work out for poor ole Karl Heinze.

I've actually been lucky enough to be in the Yellow Wall on 2 occasions. Most famously for their 4-1 win over Madrid in the CL quarters finals in 2013. I'd a mate that moved over for work a few years ago and used to get tickets through work.

• Advertisement

Also I see Nunez is out of the Uruguay squad due to a cut ankle picked up against Real Madrid. That has to be one of the tamest reasons ever a club provided for pulling a player from International duty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Bellingham only comes to us if he decides to come to us. We can't compete financially but money may not be his only motivation. Regardless he cannot be the only midfielder brought in this summer.

That decision won't be upto Bellingham unfortunately. If we bid 120 and Real or City are up around 150 mark then one of them will be his destination regardless of where he prefers.

Rumour has it that Klopp wants the club to extend Milner's contract for another year. I guess that would mean we only have to replace 3 homegrown players in the summer transfer window.

Kelleher*, Matip, Phillips*, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain*, Firmino

By the looks of things, Dortmund are going to price Bellingham out of a move this summer. He's not a €150M player and his value to English clubs will decrease after next season because he will no longer be able to be registered as a homegrown player.

If he says he doesn't want to play for either of those then Dortmund can't force him to leave. It's unlikely he'd refuse them but to say he has no choice is frankly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

This Milner thing is bonkers. I have no doubt he's great around squad and drives standards etc but he should be offered a coaching gig at Liverpool and not extending his contract again - he's 38 in January. Without bringing up that old chestnut again but is Klopp just too loyal to these players he's gone to war with? Surely we have scope to sign some young home-grown players to replace the three leaving.

As for the Bellingham thing - quelle surprise. It might not be the worst thing in the world if we're going to actually put our money where our mouth is and spend 250m and sign some decent players to rebuild this clearly lacking squad. We could get a couple of players for the money needed to get Bellingham...but i'll still be p*ssed if he goes elsewhere. The club really is in a bad state at the moment.

This summer is HUGE.

I'm not surprised Klopp wants to keep Milner around. By all accounts he's a brilliant role model and influence with the younger players and wasn't there talk two years ago or so where Klopp said he wanted him as a coach eventually.

As long as his wages reflect his role in the squad it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This ‘news’ about Bellingham is ludicrous.  It’s not news to think that we were going to have to stump up a ridiculous fee for him.  We know this.  

The facts are that Arsenal will get Caicedo, City will likely get Bellingham, Chelsea have just bought Enzo Fernandes and United got Casemiro last summer.  Us fans are being conditioned to expect less, and I’m frankly sick to the back teeth of it.

The Coutinho money and subsequent spending on Virgil and Alisson is the only real relief we’ve had from this absolute nonsense.

Well if he hands in his transfer request as has been forecast he is then putting himself out there to the highest bidder. Unless he has some wired stipulations in his transfer request, once it has has been accepted he will be sold to the highest bidder. Only way it could break down is if medical or personal terms can't be reached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have zero problem with Milner staying another year.

It's up to the club to make sure we have enough bodies to ensure he is only playing the odd game or coming on in the final minutes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Personally think it’s a bit crazy to think it’s only finances hindering the Bellingham signing. If he has a decent head on his shoulders and advisors he’d have been looking at us this season thinking why the hell would I go there and essentially have to play midfield on my own.. Likely no Champions league either. City or Madrid way ahead in the pecking order unfortunately. Not the end of the world a great player but 120 million + or whatever is crazy.

What I've heard is that the extension will involve a coaching role, it will help with the homegrown quota then in turn. We are facing the possibility of losing 4 players from our homegrown quote this summer, Kellegher, Oz, Phillips and Milner. It will costs very little to keep Milner on board and then the transfer committee can actually focus on bringing in midfielder replacements without having to focus on the homegrown aspect of it too.

I would gladly miss out on Bellingham for anything over 120m, it's not that I don't think he's worth it. But we need 3 genuine quality midfielders this summer and 120m is our budget gone on one! If Wolves were to get relegated we could get a cut price deal on Nunes as he would no doubt have a relegation clause in his contract. Marcos Llorente could also be available at a cut price to ease Atletico’s financial woes and likewise with Barella at Inter. He’s one that will definitely have to be moved on this summer as he’s one of the few valuable asset Inter have to try and balance their books this summer.

Obviously we might not be in for any of these but there is definitely value to be had that I’m sure the club are looking at and any of those would greatly improve our midfield options! 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Ooh that's an interesting detail actually. He would probably be better off in the long term to tie up his English homegrown status before shipping off to a Real or Barca meaning it would be best for him to move to an English club this time. Still obviously won't be us.

He is the new Mbappe of this thread. Mbappe signing for us was a running gag in this thread for years, unfortunately alot of people took it seriously. Bellingham signing for us is the new running gag in this thread imo. There is almost a 0% chance we sign him I reckon. I'd give us about a 1% chance of signing him and if he does we will have Klopp to thank for it as he would be the only reason Jude would choose us over city or someone else with unlimited finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I get what you're saying.

But if he's staying, it's because they think he can contribute. He can't really. If we're aiming to merely challenge for 4th, maybe. But I would like to think our aspirations are higher than that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement