Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

They got lengthy instructions from the judge in how to regard his history of medically certified mental illness. Suffering from a mental illness doesn’t give you a “pass” when it comes to wickedness.

There was a long trial. All the medical evidence was put in front of the jury. The judge gave them thorough and clear instructions on how to approach the medical evidence.

You weren’t there. You didn’t hear the evidence. You’re not a mental health professional. All you're doing is reading the media reports Why do you think that you know better then all the people who were there, and are professionals?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Both the clinical director of the Central Mental Hospital and the doctor who examined Silver the night of the incident said he was very mentally unwell.

How this behaviour described by Greg Kelly on the night in question constitutes anything but a very mentally unwell individual is beyond me https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/stephen-silver-out-of-touch-with-reality-in-the-hours-after-garda-shooting-court-told-1378666.html

he was assessed by another professor of psychiatry though who disagreed with the defence witnesses and whose evidence the jury clearly found more persuasive.

I’m not a mental health professional and I assume neither are you, and in any case even if we were we haven’t examined the defendant or seen any of the evidence. Here’s a good summary of the trial.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/03/15/the-full-story-of-the-trial-of-stephen-silver-for-the-murder-of-garda-colm-horkan/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Thanks and what were the criteria the judge gave for deciding one of these expert opinions was accurate and the other not?

Feel free to share as much detail as you like.

• Advertisement

If you read the summary of the entire trial I posted above you will see a brief of the choices that the judge offered the jury.

Thanks, having read same I still think it's an unsafe conviction in the ethical or logical sense.

Based on the judges directions it seems the burden is on the defence to show beyond reasonable doubt sufficient mental incapacity.

So as soon Prof Kennedy steps forward with his 'learned impunity' opinion, there would pretty have to be a reasonable doubt.

Legally sound, ethically and logically highly dubious imho.

I just think there's a big logical gap here.

Even if we take it that Mr Silver was only 'on the balance of probability' incapable. That to me should raise reasonable doubt as to his guilt.

But the verdict just defaults to guilty.

I think very unfair on him, his family and the jurors put in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

You keep mention logically. I'm confused. Explain what you believe that word means please.

As for ethically. That amuses me. He brought the gun to a place he was going to rob. Hmmm. Maybe he was handing it in as he knew he was potentially going to be a murderer. God bless the scumbag.

I think you might be confusing this case with another one. This guy didn't bring a gun anywhere. He'd a long history of mental illness, including many involuntary admissions. While displaying erratic behaviour he got into an altercation with a guard and shot the guard with their own gun.

The logical flaw is that were somebody to be found incapable on the balance of probability, it would lead that they could not be guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

Instead, by not meeting the criteria of being incapable beyond reasonable doubt, legally their position defaults to guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,828 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He'll get all the psychiatric help he needs when he's in prison for like. He'll be well looked after. Unlike many other poor unfortunates on the outside without a home or shelter.

What is with your logic!

He murdered somebody and it was proven in a court of law! Very simple!

I don't think he murdered anyone.

At least not beyond a reasonable doubt.

And it wasn't proven that he did, the law just defaulted to that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Benmann

I agree. I think these cases should be SCC. I can't see anyone being on a jury that will find a garda killer innocent. He is obviously mentally ill. You can get an expert witness to back any claim

Absolute rubbish.

He murdered a person who was protecting the people of Ireland. He had a family!

You try to play down a brave man doing his duty on a daily basis and he paid the ultimate price.

And your first thought is about the killer. Says a lot about you.

Woah there, I didn't for a minute play down anything about Garda Horkan. I've in no way suggested any wrongdoing or fault on his behalf.

I think what happened to him was tragic and I've the utmost sympathy and respect for his position and his family.

I'm questioning the correctness of somebody be labelled guilty, on the basis of psychiatric experts being in disagreement as to what stage of a mental breakdown they were at.

He put a bullet in him.

Are you a physiatrist. Was in court.

The man is dead. I may need to expand that sentence a bit, just to be logical...he's not alive!

Please feel free to ask if you need a scientific definition of how your brain destroyed may result in an unfortunate event.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

He put 11 bullets in him, and the rest missed.

Sorry Special Criminal Court of course. That might help but I'm not sure in this case.

To me the problem is that logic of defaulting to guilty without meeting the criteria of guilty.

Could there be an outcome of 'no finding' on responsibility, and still have the person committed for a minimum period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s the prosecutions goal to provide the evidence to convict the defendant beyond reasonable doubt - I’ve been on an Irish jury in the past and have a high degree of faith in this system- it’s not perfect but it’s not that bad either.

The jury would have focussed a great deal of their energies on the prosecution evidence. While reading the sad history of mental illness of the accused, you might be tempted to say that there’s strong argument for manslaughter due to diminished responsibility - however it’s his state of mind at the time of the murder that counts the most- historical data and testimony, while somewhat relevant from a context perspective and quite heartbreaking to read, is not the core issue.

Guidance from the Judge included:

To convict him of murder, you must be satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that he intended to kill or cause serious injury,”

Also, the possible verdicts they could consider related to capital murder, murder simpliciter, or manslaughter either because of diminished responsibility or self-defence. She said that a verdict of not guilty was not open to them in the case as Silver had entered a plea to the charge of manslaughter.

While this case is very sad for all concerned, my faith in the jury system is very strong given my own experience- in the trial I was involved in, the defence tried to create doubt through some outlandish conspiracy theories and red herrings- however the prosecution evidence was very clear and very compelling- from the limited reading of reports I’ve seen on this particular case, I think the defence did something similar- the more the defence seems desperate to clutch at straws the more solid the prosecution case sounds- scatter gun doubt didn’t work in the case I was involved in and it didn’t work here either.

The bar of beyond reasonable doubt is very high- while it probably did surprise me that the jury didn’t choose diminished responsibility, I wasn’t at the trial- it’s the jury that heard all of the evidence and I’d have faith in their decision - and the fact this is a retrial just shows how difficult such a decision is to obtain.

Yes very good summary in that article- the prosecution medical evidence is actually quite compelling - i wonder why Silver changed his legal team for the 2nd trial? In any case, the prosecution certainly provided clear compelling evidence that obviously wasn’t eroded by the defences arguement. In addition, the prosecution seems to have done a very good job of painting Silver as someone who used his mental health issues as a “get out of jail free” card .

In my view, anyone who commits murder isn’t “right” in their mind- there’s something different about them mentally that separates them from those in society that don’t murder- but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be found guilty of murder. Silver had unquestionably many mental health issues- an extreme amount you could say-but that doesn’t mean that he’s exempt from justice - there was no Guilty but insane option provided - the very fact that he testified articulately enough probably shows why this should never have been considered anyway.

As a former jury member Reading that trial summary you quoted certainly explains to me, how the jury came to their decision- there was a very strong prosecution case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Seems like they got it right readng the witnesses story in the Sunday world

Whilst the jury would have placed considerable emphasis on the medical evidence provided by the prosecution, that doesn’t mean that their decision was solely based on this alone- if you read the Irish Times trial summary posted above by another poster, you’ll see that there was a lot more evidence provided by the prosecution - medical evidence is a significant but not the only evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Sad tragic event all round. Garda lost his life doing his job which is terrible. Its pretty clear that this was due to a mental breakdown. Families ruined and bereft.

Rip.

I've read that evidence, and unless I've missed something, nothing to me there that wouldn't have been part of his mental illness.

Because he had spoken critically of police before the incident, doesn't mean to me that it wasn't part of his breakdown. I think when we hear things like that spoken, we tend to perceive it somehow as a 'normal' person saying it, because we know people who have this attitude towards law enforcement.

And again my issue isn't only that he wasn't found to be incapable beyond a reasonable doubt.

My issue is that by failing to meet that higher criteria, the reasonable doubt others might be afforded before being found guilty goes out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am not convinced you can have faith in a jury of non experts to decide on his degree of mental capacity during the key timeframe. Those believing you can, probably did not have faith in the first jury being unable to agree a verdict.

This jury's decision was most likely swayed by the testimony of the Professor of Psychiatry. The go to guy for the DPP in these matters. His learned impunity argument seems questionable. I mean a man who thinks learned impunity from previous events is going to see him released from custody the day after killing a guard is clearly not of sound mind to begin with.

Also the key witness for the prosecution , if you knew his background, is not a reliable witness at all in my opinion. It would not suit the prosecution to focus on this, though. So I respectfully disagree with your view that the prosecution case was a strong one. It did not have to be. Had Silver killed a civilian they probably would have found it much more difficult to get a prosecution in this case.

I don't know if I'm getting my point across correctly. I'm going to try a simple analogy, but I want to say that in doing so I don't mean to anyway trivialize these awful events. I've the utmost respect for the sacrifice Garda Horkan made.

Let's suppose a team has a big final ahead. The manager decides he only wants to play players who are fully fit.

Before the match two injured players are assessed. One is clearly unfit and won't play.

Another player is assessed as probably unfit, but with this logic they are put in the team?

That's the gap I see here.

A jury of 12 individuals who are total strangers to each other agreed with the prosecution evidence. You’re focusing totally on the testimony of the psychiatrist - what about the fact that Silver shot the victim 11 times- he meant to kill him- which places manslaughter with diminished responsibility in a much more inaccessible place in the minds of the jury - as for your comment on a civilian vs a guard there’s no point in confusing the thread with alternative realities - I could say that quite possibly, had only one bullet been discharged and somehow killed the victim in the struggle, that maybe the manslaughter with diminished responsibility might have been considered more appropriate - but that’s not the reality we’re dealing with here.

• Advertisement

It should also be noted that the harsh reality in most western prisons, including Ireland, is that their populations are mainly comprised of people with major mental health issues- it’s unfortunate that the legal systems of these countries are essentially the dumping ground for a whole lot of societies ills- there’s no alternative solution in place- whether someone has an illness through genetics or through a traumatic childhood or drug abuse, it doesn’t matter- the law can still find you guilty - however murder is one of the few crimes that carries a mandatory life sentence so there’s no leaway for the courts in this case to apply a reduced sentence which is where the court can usually show some compassion.

Im wondering if there wasn’t a life sentence imposed and it was up to the courts discretion, would those who are disagreeing with the verdict be so vocal?

The jury , who each swore an oath, would have been asked to set aside concerns about what sentence the defendant might get and concentrate on their role with the verdict- they did that- there’s not much more to it.

Considering what Silver has shown he’s capable of, I certainly don’t ever want to see him released from incarceration ever again .

Advertisement